I discovered, on a trawl through the internet, that Crowded House's final gig (Live outside Sydney Opera House in November 1996) is finally being released on DVD.

It'll be available on CD and DVD to mark the 10th anniversary of the concert, on 20th November.

On a slightly related note, Tim Finn (brother of Crowded House singer/songwriter Neil) has a new album "Imaginary Kingdom" out on 16th October

http://www.farewelltotheworld.com/

I discovered, on a trawl through the internet, that Crowded House's final gig (Live outside Sydney Opera House in November 1996) is finally being released on DVD.

Sweet. I hope it's readily available here in the states. I'll definitely need a copy of that.

Thanks for the heads-up!

I've been waiting for this gig for ages.

It was screened on tv here shortly after it happened and my one overriding memory is the camera focusing on Paul Hester during "Don't Dream It's Over" (the final song) and you could see the tears streaming down his face.

Seeing that and knowing the depression he suffered which eventually led him to hi suicide makes it just that bit more sad.

Count me in as one who'll buy both as soon as they are released...

I believe I still have a vhs version of it around here somewhere.

I distinctly remember watching it because I have a friend who was there, weeping piteously during Don't Dream it's Over (as you would), but they edited it so it looks like she's weeping piteously during Skin Feeling. How evil was that?!

• 3 years later...

Intriguer is a great album. A real grower. Contains a bunch of songs including 'Falling Dove', 'Twice if Your Lucky', and 'Inside Out' that are up there with the best of Neil Finn's career. Nice Jim Scott production - recorded in the same studio where Wilco recorded most of WTA.

Gig should be a treat. They played the last of a three night stand at the Bowery Ballroom in NY tonight and were joined on stage by David Byrne for a couple of Talking Heads numbers (Road to Nowhere and Once in a Lifetime).

A friend who was at the gig sent me this (rough) youtube vid:

hey, anybody heard the new crowded house record?

i'm going to see them friday, looking forward to it ... i assume it will be mostly new stuff, which is cool, as long as we also get I Got You and Don't Dream it's Over!!

I saw them play a couple years ago and they still put on a great show, even without Paul Hester (RIP).

They will play some old favorites, though I'm not sure I'd count on "I Got You" -- Neil may drag out some Split Enz, but "Six Months In a Leaky Boat" might be a better bet, imo.

I have a copy of the new record but have only been able to listen to it once. Positive first impressions, though.

i've only had a chance to listen to the new one once, but i immediately liked it a lot more than their last one.

but yeah, they're still killer live (even if the last show i did see was skewed towards the new stuff as cryptique said).

saw them on monday at the bowery ballroom and it was fantastic

the new record sounded really good

self indulgent set as usual, but enough "hits" to keep you interested

25 songs, almost three hours

Neil is always fantastic live

highlight was a funked up "chocolate cake" and a beautiful "fall at your feet"

saw them on monday at the bowery ballroom and it was fantastic

the new record sounded really good

self indulgent set as usual, but enough "hits" to keep you interested

25 songs, almost three hours

Neil is always fantastic live

highlight was a funked up "chocolate cake" and a beautiful "fall at your feet"

i'm bummed they didn't do chocolate cake yesterday in philly!

or anything from the first record

but it's cool, i loved everything they did (except elephant, which i can live without)

hey, just curious what you mean by self-indulgent. i didn't get that vibe at all

i'm bummed they didn't do chocolate cake yesterday in philly!

or anything from the first record

but it's cool, i loved everything they did (except elephant, which i can live without)

hey, just curious what you mean by self-indulgent. i didn't get that vibe at all

Wow, no "Don't Dream It's Over"? That's on the 1st record. That could be construed as self-indulgent. How many people's emotional attachment to that band begins with that song? Not playing it is satisfying themselves more than the audience.

Wow, no "Don't Dream It's Over"? That's on the 1st record. That could be construed as self-indulgent. How many people's emotional attachment to that band begins with that song? Not playing it is satisfying themselves more than the audience.

yeah, no dream it's over or something so strong, no I got you (do they ever play any split enz stuff?)

but nobody seemed to mind

free show, 75 minutes, everybody dug it

and i actually never heard one person bark out for one of the hits, so that was cool

yeah, no dream it's over or something so strong, no I got you (do they ever play any split enz stuff?)

but nobody seemed to mind

free show, 75 minutes, everybody dug it

and i actually never heard one person bark out for one of the hits, so that was cool

thats what I mean by self indulgent

Neil always plays what he wants to play-and he always plays a large chunk of new tunes-not the songs he knows the crowds want to hear-and they generally do not play enz tunes

Im not complaining-they put on a fantastic show-but id love to hear more of the deeper cuts from woodface (there goes god or italian plastic for example). They did play hole in the river from the first record.

Precisely. Well said.

The only other band as good as Wilco live, IMHO!

Neil Finn indulgent? That's never been my impression in the many live shows I've seen him play with CH or solo. CH still plays 'Don't Dream It's Over' sometimes, like at the Isle of Wight Festival earlier this year.

He played it in both of the last two shows I saw in 2007, but it's ok if it's a pass later in August when I see them.

Neil also breaks out I Got You once in awhile live, which I've been lucky to witness. Now that I'd like to see again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDAPTiWVQHI

I have several friends who have seen recent Crowded House shows on the East Coast, and it sounds like they are really better than ever as a reformed band. The 'new' band (really just the addition of Matt Sherrod as drummer (he's great!) was already very good in 2007, so I'm highly anticipating the upcoming Seattle/Vancouver shows.

I am one of SeatlleC's friends - I saw Crowded House last Friday in Montclair, NJ - they were amazing! They did in fact play Don't Dream It's Over that night - but it would have been perfectly okay with me if they didn't play it because that is an extremely overplayed song! Although I will definitely admit here that my eyes welled up during that song, and during no other song.

I don't think Crowded House are indulgent. I think Neil Finn tries very hard to walk that fine line between what will make a good show for the majority of the audience, and what the hardcore fans want to hear. He played a song I requested via the band's website (Kare Kare), which is somewhat obscure but not totally obscure - and that song meant more to me than 10 Don't Dream It's Over's.

I guess it's a fine line - do you play for the audience at large, or do you play for your diehard fanbase? And Neil seems to expertly walk the fine line between the two.

Intriguer is a great album. A real grower. Contains a bunch of songs including 'Falling Dove', 'Twice if Your Lucky', and 'Inside Out' that are up there with the best of Neil Finn's career. Nice Jim Scott production - recorded in the same studio where Wilco recorded most of WTA.

Just got "Intriguer" on Friday and wish I hadn't waited so long. Takes about 3 or 4 listens but after that I just didn't want to stop playing it. As always, Neil Finn spoils us with exquisite melodies: this time they just take a tad longer to surface. His voice only seems to get better and more expansive. At first I was slightly put off by the number of slower and mid-paced songs but that shouldn't be put you off if you give the album enough time. It's an interesting album: definitely Crowded House but without quite sounding like any of their other albums. The production is lovely: very subtle but clear and allowing different things to become apparent with each listen. Looking forward to seeing them in Seattle at the end of August. I wonder what chance that the Chicago audience might see Jeff Tweedy join them onstage when they play there.

Just got "Intriguer" on Friday and wish I hadn't waited so long. Takes about 3 or 4 listens but after that I just didn't want to stop playing it. As always, Neil Finn spoils us with exquisite melodies: this time they just take a tad longer to surface. His voice only seems to get better and more expansive. At first I was slightly put off by the number of slower and mid-paced songs but that shouldn't be put you off if you give the album enough time. It's an interesting album: definitely Crowded House but without quite sounding like any of their other albums. The production is lovely: very subtle but clear and allowing different things to become apparent with each listen. Looking forward to seeing them in Seattle at the end of August. I wonder what chance that the Chicago audience might see Jeff Tweedy join them onstage when they play there.

And will we get the often occurring Eddie Vedder visit on stage with Neil in Seattle?

Nice to hear you like Intriguer. I'll see you at the winery! I just saw Jackson Browne and David Lindley there on Saturday, and it was really amazing. I hadn't listened to Jackson Browne much over the last several years, but it rekindled my interest. I'm surprised by how well his music (and frankly, Jackson himself) has aged. And the other star of the show, David Lindley, has always been a favorite of mine.

We are in for a treat with CH later in the month.