I'm not really sure what is out there that's good for the kiddies but won't make me lose my mind. I refuse to give in to The Wiggles. The only 2 artist that I've heard good things about are Laurie Berkner and Dan Zanes.

I picked up this Dan Zanes album-

B00006JYBG.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116560205_.jpg

-and I love it! I find myself listening to it even after the Twinsleys are down for a nap.

Any other suggestions?

Our kids listen to and enjoy:

Jessica Harper

Putuyamo Kids (sp?)

They Might Be Giants

Laurie Berkner

My one year old really loves "One Step Beyond" and "Hollaback Girl". Just saying the "Hey You!" bit from the Madness song makes him stop doing whatever it is he's doing and start rocking. Or, skanking I guess, if you want to get technical.

Jerry Garcia and David Grisman have a CD out called "Not For Kids Only" that is very good. I don't listen to much Garcia these days, but it's a good CD nonetheless.

I owned this one long before my son was born and it's been a keeper for him, for me, and for just about everybody I've played it for. I'm on copy #3.

How old are the kids? Just asking cuz when you mentioned Dan Zanes it reminded me of the time he made an appearance at the childcare center my wife runs (and my kids go to). There were roughly 100 kids ranging in age from about 8 weeks to kidnergarten, and it was just him and his acoustic guitar playing gentle old folk songs.(you can see the end coming a mile away, can't you?) :lol Ahh, but the power of his funny hair is strong, and it kept the kids mesmerized for the first couple songs...but you could quickly sense the natives getting restless. My daughter (who was probably 2 at the time) lasted about 3 songs before she grabbed my hand and led me away to go play with blocks instead. By the end of the performance the area where the kids were sitting resembled a barroom brawl. :lol

Kudos to Dan for being a good sport about it.(obviously he knows what he's getting into) He plays a lot shows for kids and does a bunch of stuff for kids' charities, which is cool. I haven't seen him in his "normal" concert setting, but I'd imagine it is a bit livelier and I hear the kids treat him like a rock star. :rock

Personally, my opnion is that Dan is one of those artists that parents want their kids to like because it feels vaguely "hip" (moreso than going down the road listening to the damned Wiggles all the time). But I get the sense that my kids put up with it more than they actually like it.

Along similar lines, my oldest daughter really likes the Jerry Garcia/David Grisman album "Not For Kids Only" (or something like that), which is also a bunch of folk songs (and a very good record, too). She really likes it, but then again she also still refers to it as "the cd daddy likes", so maybe she just plays it to humor me. :lol

Whenever I buy a cd of "kids music" it typically gets a lukewarm response. The stuff the seem to like best is stuff they've just overheard me play. My older daughter, for example, really likes Neko Case and recently seems to be developing an afection for the Beatles. :thumbup

Edit: Wow, it took me so long to write this that you guys beat me to it mentioning the Garcia/Grisman disc. :cheers

My nieces (3 and 1 1/2) LOVE LOVE LOVE Laurie Berkner. And I can handle her music without wanting to kill myself.

They also like The Boy Least Likely To... probably the poppiness/catchy tunes. My nephew, who is 6 now, always liked the Beatles when he was little. Oh they like Barenaked Ladies too, always want to hear the "million dollar song".

I highly recommend Ralph's World (Ralph Covert). He's along the lines of Dan Zanes and I'd consider him the U2 or REM of kid's music. Your kids will love it and it isn't the least bit irritating. I've trumpeted him on this board for a couple of years now. He plays kids shows all over but if you live in the Chicagoland area, he plays all the time.

www.ralphsworld.com

Not sure what ages you're looking for...

Both of my kids really like The Beatles. Especially Help, Yellow Submarine, Hey Jude, Birthday, Love Me Do, In My Life.

My 3 year old likes Uncle Tupelo "I Wanna Be Your Dog", Hot Hot Heat "You Owe Me An IOU", Supernova "Chewbacca", Pavement "Cut Your Hair". Basically anything that is catchy.

My 8 year old likes The Beatles, Wilco, Hot Hot Heat, Weezer, Greenday, The Decemberists, The White Stripes, Guided By Voices "Teenage FBI" and "Chasing Heather Crazy", Johnny Cash, Art Brut, Ryan Adams, Saturday Looks Good To Me, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, We Are Scientists. It's funny to hear him sing "If you want to use my body, go for it". He has no clue.

Jerry Garcia and David Grisman have a CD out called "Not For Kids Only" that is very good. I don't listen to much Garcia these days, but it's a good CD nonetheless.

Seconded,thirded,etc... :thumbup My youngest once said one of the best criticisms regarding the GD I've ever heard.She was probably 3 or 4.I was going on a short (less than 1 hr.) trip with her when a '73 Playin' came on the tape.I say,'whaddya think of this hon?'She goes,'I like the songs,but I don't like it when they start practicin'.I mean that's just spot on!

Raffi

Looks like somebody needs a timeout. :brow

Any Bob Marley record, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Jeff Tweedy...

That's exactly what we've been doing up to this point (as well as Simon & Garfunkel, Norah Jones, ELO, and lots of jazz) but since thery're almost 9 months it seemed like the time to start building up the arsenal. Cecilia is a catchy little tune, but I don't know if I want them singing it in the pre-school. It would just be nice to have music that I don't have to worry about which songs to fast forward over. I'll probably make a mix CD (or 10) of kid-friendly music that isn't specifically for kids.

I'll definitely have to check that one out, as well as all the other great suggestions. I wrote them all down. (Hey kids, guess where we're going tomorrow!?!?!)

Yeah, TMBG's No! is a huge hit in my house. My son even likes the CD ROM content on the disc which is little manipulative flash music videos for the songs.

No one's mentioned Harry Nilsson's "The Point"? Definitely a kid friendly album that won't grate on your nerves.

Jason Faulkner also did a Beatles instrumental lullaby album thats relaxing.

Forgot to mention Joanie Bartels and Raffi, kids like those too.

And pretty much anything with the Sesame Street voices on it.