How Nels Cline Saved the Guitar

Here is the site

He Died So that We May Live

How Nels Cline Saved the Guitar

BY BRIAN SMITH

The fact that Nels Cline ended up joining Wilco has got to give you hope. Some things do work out. Some things can be good. Just thank god no one ever told Cline that guitar-based rock is "dead."

First appearing on a recorded format in 1978 (three tracks on Vinny Golia's Openhearted LP), it wasn't until the early '90s that Cline began to blow things up. The Nels Cline Trio started to make small but noteworthy waves beginning in 1990, with the release of their Silencer CD. By the mid '90s, Cline's name had begun to be preceded by "Have you heard of...." And then in 1997, after teaming up with the still-wonderful Carla Bozulich and an assortment of Los Angeles-based musicians, Cline and the Geraldine Fibbers set the world on fire with Butch.

Yeah, but not really

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay Bennett.

I'd give it to you, if they were looking for another multi instrumentalist who could do as much, but on guitar alone I don't know if Bennett's quite as strong of a personality. (sorry rehash, Cline/Bennett debate a'la the last year on here)

Bennett can only play country/rock. Cline can do all and more. Thus a clear winner.

Besides being the greatest guitarist to walk this earth, Cline is most possibly one of the coolest dudes ever, especially when you talk to him.

Just because you haven't heard him play anything else doesn't mean he can't. And Nels' country/rock playing leaves a lot to be desired. Let's listen to Jay's "Someday Soon" vs. Nels'.

(Name me another guitarist out there who could affect a band and their sound so much in this woeful/wonderful modern-era of rock music.)

I only wish Nels did have the kind of impact that this guy is talking about. I hear new Wilco songs and unless Nels strapped on a piano it doesn't seem like he's making a huge contribution. I'd have used a song like Via Chicago instead of Hell Is Chrome to show the kind of impact he can have though, Jeff did a really great job with that song - and all the guitar really - on the record. I remember hearing a live version of ALTWYS for the first time and thinking Jay who?

Did I mention I think there's too much piano in Wilco right now? No, really.

I only wish Nels did have the kind of impact that this guy is talking about. I hear new Wilco songs and unless Nels strapped on a piano it doesn't seem like he's making a huge contribution. I'd have used a song like Via Chicago instead of Hell Is Chrome to show the kind of impact he can have though, Jeff did a really great job with that song - and all the guitar really - on the record. I remember hearing a live version of ALTWYS for the first time and thinking Jay who?

Yeah and if you want to keep people from clicking on the ignore button, I'd recommend maybe switching it up. We get it, you don't like piano dude and that's fine but you've made your point quite clear and there's no point being a broken record about it.

--Mike

A good friend turned me onto a Nels/Thurston Moore disc that was just frightening...it almost triggered a flashback!

Just for the record,I think Jeff got exactly the right guy.

I've come to the conclusion that Jay Bennett and Nels Cline are both essential!!!

That would be a Wilco worth driving long distances and flying Mende up from down under to see!!!

_robert.

A good friend turned me onto a Nels/Thurston Moore disc that was just frightening...it almost triggered a flashback!

Just for the record,I think Jeff got exactly the right guy.

Hmmmmmm....which one wuz that??? :music

-robert.

I've come to the conclusion that Jay Bennett and Nels Cline are both essential!!!

That would be a Wilco worth driving long distances and flying Mende up from down under to see!!!

_robert.

Hmmmmmm....which one wuz that??? :music

-robert.

The man who lives "Where no Wilco has gone Before!!" :lol

Yeah and if you want to keep people from clicking on the ignore button, I'd recommend maybe switching it up. We get it, you don't like piano dude and that's fine but you've made your point quite clear and there's no point being a broken record about it.

:cheekkiss

I don't care if people put me on ignore, I don't even know if I'll hang around here after the new record comes out. I want it to be great and be as excited about it as when YHF and AGIB were released, but so far..

I don't really hate all piano, just rock 'n roll piano. And not even all rock 'n roll piano, the stuff on Being There was great, so maybe I just hate current Wilco piano? Whatever. You probably won't have to deal with my tedious piano bashing much longer.

It means that Nels is out to do whatever works for the song; which I'd much rather have than it being the Nels Cline show featuring Wilco (Although the Nels Cline show featuring Wilco would still be awesome)

As for a poster above; yes, perhaps Nels is subpar compared to Jay on "Someday Soon"; but the trade-off is Nels probably helps the group dynamic much more; Plus, he takes YHF and Ghost to entirely new levels

It's pretty ridiculous that the writer uses Hell is Chrome - a song and a solo written and recorded by Jeff* - to demonstrate how essential Nels is to the band. Not to mention both Jeff and Nels play that solo live. How about Muzzle of Bees, where Nels actually takes an improved solo over the album version? Or Impossible Germany?

I love what Nels brings to the band, and I love his freeform noise-jazz. That said, I've not seen evidence that Nels can really rock the country-rock tunes like Jay could (or he chooses not to). Forget ther Flowers sound positively anemic now - maybe time to let Pat do some chicken pickin'

* yes I know Mikael has co-writing credits

Nels' greatest moments are when he's really doing nothing at all.And the fact that when he's really killing it,you can't even tell he's doing anything at all.

Nels' solo work clearly kicks ass. His addition to the band is terrific and he will take Wilco in an interesting direction. I don't think they are too piano heavy. The current line-up is strong in my opinion. Every show I have seen, since Nels joined Wilco, has rocked. :rock

It's pretty ridiculous that the writer uses Hell is Chrome - a song and a solo written and recorded by Jeff* - to demonstrate how essential Nels is to the band. Not to mention both Jeff and Nels play that solo live. How about Muzzle of Bees, where Nels actually takes an improved solo over the album version? Or Impossible Germany?

I love what Nels brings to the band, and I love his freeform noise-jazz. That said, I've not seen evidence that Nels can really rock the country-rock tunes like Jay could (or he chooses not to). Forget ther Flowers sound positively anemic now - maybe time to let Pat do some chicken pickin'

* yes I know Mikael has co-writing credits

Who cares about "Forget the Flowers"?

:wave

i'm glad to see it back regulary in the set

Me too! Good song. They've been playing it often the past year or so after they retired it several times, including going 40,99,36 and 100 shows between '02 and '05 without playing it. Cool stuff...thanks WilcoBase.

That's what I'm saying. Whenever Jay is mentioned, the main argument against him is that Nels can play the newer stuff better. Obviously. What they never mention is that Nels can not compare to Jay's guitar parts/style.

So Nels can play a few songs from 10 years ago good, but good enough; he still is amazing at the new material, which is where the band's main priorities are at right now, able to re-invent it, and is probably a more effective creative and collaborative contributor, moreso than Jay's master plan of alienating himself from the group by fiddling with pro tools 'till 6 AM, and trying to make Summerteeth II instead of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

The band really is the most dynamic they've ever been live, and I really enjoy Nels' guitar playing. Impossible Germany, Company In My Back, and Ashes Of American Flags wouldn't be half as great live without him. I still sort of question what he will be like on record instead of live.

p.s. His playing on Kamera at the October 10th show is really great also.

:wave

i'm glad to see it back regulary in the set

Anything AM really keeps things fresh these days,especially for those going to several shows a year.The AM era shows are really entertaining to listen too these days,I recently got the DVD of a show at the Fox in Boulder Co. and still blown away,glad to see Jeff's spunk back the past few years!I remember a few YHF shows that rather bored me when it was really chemistry running it's course,then Nels arrives and everyone's happy again.The return of Wilco after the break of canceled shows reassured me that the boys were back. And even after a three year AGIB tour,It's still there,no matter what the setlist.I've been asked why I still go see shows when I wasn't completely blown away by the setlist,and that's why,I love seeing these guys gel together,it's rather entertaining!