dvd audio tracks: downloading problems and

I have to say, this thread is unnerving. :realmad

For cripe's sake people, you're complaining about something given to you by a band who has streamed their last two albums for free, streamed the entire DVD for free, has a roadcase on their website...for free, and lets us tape and trade their shows...FOR FREE!

I'd be willing to bet, given all the other cool stuff they do for us, that the folks at HQ aren't exactly thrilled that folks are now or were at any point having difficulties.

Chill out, be patient and have some faith in this band who takes care of their fans.

If they give everything free, why did I buy the DVD?

Also, if they have that much experience with putting free stuff online, why haven't I been able to get the mp3s yet? It seems like they could do it in their sleep by now.

And I'm sure Tweedy is, right now, at this very moment, writing you a letter of thanks for standing up for him. Bravo!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they give everything free, why did I buy the DVD?

Please see the previous "prize in the cereal box" posts. And please, chill. Yes, everyone (including wilco hq) understands that you're frustrated by this. We get it.

Regarding the downloads being free -- This is the Nonesuch press release copy about Sunken Treasure ... it has been posted on Wilcoworld HERE for many weeks. I'm not sure where the confusion about the definition of "free" got started. This is pretty clear to me.

Nonesuch Records released Sunken Treasure: Live in the Pacific Northwest, a performance DVD by Wilco's Jeff Tweedy, on October 24. The disc includes performances and conversations gathered over five nights on Tweedy
Guest Speed Racer
Also, if they have that much experience with putting free stuff online, why haven't I been able to get the mp3s yet? It seems like they could do it in their sleep by now.

Or, conversly, Wilco HQ feels pretty awful right now because they're so used to putting free stuff up, and are frustrated that it's not working. But your complaining sure is speeding up that process.

You know, the other day I was watching a friend try to install this hard drive on my computer and it just wasn't working. Geez. So, I sat down, bitched at my friend for like, five minutes - especially because he'd been so nice to me - and then the drive just installed itself. I find that complaining when there's nothing anyone can do always solves everything.

:lol When I'm doing anything even vaguely tech-y to our computer, I'm like an actress insisting that the set be cleared before she does her nude scene. I won't do anything until everyone leaves the room.

I'm pretty angry about this whole situation, to the point that this morning I stomped my foot once in disgust and also exerted more force than necessary when stapling a copy of my DVD receipt to my letter of complaint.

If this keeps up, I may utter and expletive or two and stop listening to music entirely.

The new moderators will not take this type of behavior lightly. :nono

I'm sorry. I meant to type "an", but since I am nearly blind with rage (and since my fingers are the size of those big Hebrew National hot dogs) it ended up being "and". Which clearly makes no sense in that instance.

gogo, I'm assuming you were at Jeff's solo show in Frisco.

I was. I'm even in the DVD!!!

I'm sorry. I meant to type "an", but since I am nearly blind with rage (and since my fingers are the size of those big Hebrew National hot dogs) it ended up being "and". Which clearly makes no sense in that instance.

Well, just don't let it happen again. Mmm... hot dogs... :eat

"The audio tracks of all the songs featured on the DVD also will be available for anyone who purchases Sunken Treasure to download for free."

As stated in the press release means that essentially they are NOT free, but are included as part of buying the DVD. To me this is like 4th grade reading comprehension. What's the issue here? You have to buy something to get them, ie they are not free. There is no additional cost after purchasing the DVD but they are essentially packaged as one product.

As for the technical difficulties, I think everyone has a right to bitch and moan if they like because the way the DVD was packaged and advertised clearly stated that the songs could be downloaded. This to me was a definite incentive to buy the DVD because I am much more likely to have an oppurtunity to listen to the tunes than to sit at home watching the DVD. I can listen to the songs in my car, while I do other things at home, while I ride the bus/subway. The DVD requires a bit more attention and does not have the portability as a cd or MP3 file. (Sorry at this time I am not one of those that has a DVD drop down screen in my car and I won't have one until Wilco packages one with their next product). Now I'm not complaining but I think that if I wanted to I have every right. It's not like we are complaining about the free streaming of some show. This is something that was promised to be available with the DVD.

As stated in the press release means that essentially they are NOT free, but are included as part of buying the DVD. To me this is like 4th grade reading comprehension. What's the issue here? You have to buy something to get them, ie they are not free. There is no additional cost after purchasing the DVD but they are essentially packaged as one product.

Yeah, it's like 4th grade reading comprehension to me, too. As I read it, the DVD is the product. If you buy the product, they give you something else. Free.

As for the technical difficulties, I think everyone has a right to bitch and moan if they like because the way the DVD was packaged and advertised clearly stated that the songs could be downloaded.

You're right, you can bitch and moan as much as you like. But that's not going to make the tracks available any faster. Also, I don't see anywhere in the press release where it says that they're going to be availabe within any specific time frame. :P

Yeah, it's like 4th grade reading comprehension to me, too. As I read it, the DVD is the product. If you buy the product, they give you something else. Free.

You're right, you can bitch and moan as much as you like. But that's not going to make the tracks available any faster. Also, I don't see anywhere in the press release where it says that they're going to be availabe within any specific time frame. :P

First off:

Yes but free would imply that you would have to do nothing to recieve it. As you say yourself "if you buy the product" and seeing as how you NEED to purchase said DVD to recieve them there is a cost involved ie not exactly free.

And second:

"I don't see anywhere in the press release where it says that they're going to be availabe within any specific time frame." It's funny that you had mentioned this because as I was writing my previous post it occured to me to mention that but I didn't and left my self open to your comment. But I have to agree and that is why I am not crying about not getting em yet. Though had no one complained Wilco HQ might have thought everything was hunky dory and the problems would never have been fixed. So there is something to be said about being the squeeky wheel.

I'm willing to agree to disagree on the "free" issue. I don't think anyone is every going to convince anyone else to change their minds on that one.

And on the glitches in the downloads, I'm guessing that Wilco HQ would be monitoring those pretty closely. They would know if nothing was being downloaded, and take a look to see why. Again, not saying you don't have the right to complain, I'm just still not seeing at as helping much.

We'll all get them eventually. :cheers

Ah, you know. Complaining it's something to do. It passes the time. It relieves the frustration. It vents... Oh and misery loves company.

I bought the DVD and loved it the day it came out. I for one am not mad at all/haven't tried to download the mp3's yet, cause I can watch them on my tv, and listen to the last broadcast from the wilco tour, and watch the new my morning jacket dvd.

In short it must be difficult to get so angry about such a small thing, that you can probably wait for. Come on folks, be well, peaceful and happy.

First off:

Yes but free would imply that you would have to do nothing to recieve it.

bullony, free implies that you don't have to spend money on "it", the thing you are receiving, the mp3s. you still have to put effort into obtaining it. if Wilco were playing a free show in a town near you, would it be less free because you have to find transportation to it? would Wilco have to shell out gas money to give you the "free" experience? the mp3s do not cost money, they are free to those who purchased the dvd, they are unavailable to those who have not. if you do not own the dvd but want the mp3s, you're going to have to pay for gas or else walk (i dunno what that would be, wait a month and find it shared on some other site, or until Wilcoworld lets one and all have them)

it's easy to think of this as a just a phony hook into buying the product, like "10% more candy, for free!". but it's not a phony hook, it's a real hook. the 10% more candy isn't really costing those guys anything, it just gets you to buy that bar over another. these free mp3s, on the other hand, are costing wilcoworld lots of time and bandwidth, and its very generous of them to do this.

My "complaint" is that it is a real pain to download the way they set it up. I'm glad to get the songs--I only bought the DVD so that I could get the mp3s. But getting them downloaded is a real process. I wish that they had simply included them on the DVD, or set it up so that it was easier than having to reconfigure Quicktime, then download all 24 tracks separately as zip files, which then have to be unzipped, etc. I started last night and was able to download 1 track before I went to bed. This morning before I went to work, I started another 5. And I guess, I'll keep trying tonight.

So, in sum, thanks for the "extras", but maybe consider a different method next time.

Please see the previous "prize in the cereal box" posts.

The prize in the cereal box is a good illustration, though i believe it proves the opposite point: you can't go into a supermarket and start taking out those prizes from the boxes and walk out with them. You have to buy the cereal if you want that prize. They're part of the deal, hence not free.

this debate reminds me of frustrating conversations i've had with people who insisted that downloading albums without paying wasn't really stealing. I was never one to condemn people for doing that, because I do it myself sometimes. But the rationalizations were annoying.

Not trying to stir the pot any more than it already is. Just felt the need to put in my .$02

:cheers

The prize in the cereal box is a good illustration, though i believe it proves the opposite point: you can't go into a supermarket and start taking out those prizes from the boxes and walk out with them. You have to buy the cereal if you want that prize. They're part of the deal, hence not free.

this debate reminds me of frustrating conversations i've had with people who insisted that downloading albums without paying wasn't really stealing. I was never one to condemn people for doing that, because I do it myself sometimes. But the rationalizations were annoying.

:cheers

:lol Everyone is frustrated with this conversation for different reasons!

I also posted this earlier:

Would you have not bought the DVD if there weren't going to be extra tracks available? Or would we all have expected to pay a lower price for it? I don't know, but I doubt it.

and I'll stand by that. Sure, some people wouldn't have bought the DVD if they weren't getting the audio tracks, but for most people, the DVD is what they're buying. I don't buy or not buy a box a cereal based on whether or not there's a prize inside. If I get a prize, I consider that a FREE bonus.

I'm still hoping we can all just agree to disagree on this one. Now matter what we feel about it, the two sides still don't look to me as if they have any chance of convincing each other.

I'm still hoping we can all just agree to disagree on this one. Now matter what we feel about it, the two sides still don't look to me as if they have any chance of convincing each other.

No! You must submit to ma authoritay!

just kidding. i won't comment on the topic any further.

I haven't gotten the DVD yet--I know, bad, bad, Wilco fan--but I'm wondering as to what this thing holds? Could someone enlighten me? Are there any special features like extra songs or interviews with Jeff? Is it just a straight concert DVD, or are is there a documentary kick to it too. I'm hoping to pick it up this week, but I'm dying to know what it is all about.

Thanks

-N