Comic Book Movie Adaptations

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man, i hate clowns. this movie is not going to help matters :unsure

i was a little unsure what to think when i heard they were relaunching the batman franchise, although with nolan at the helm i wasn't too concerned. "batman begins" exceeded my expectations, and this...well, it's safe to say that "the dark knight" is the only comic book movie that i've ever been highly anticipating for a year in advance of release. it's the only comic book movie that i've EVER been this excited about. extremely high hopes about this.

and the trailer didn't even show aaron eckhart! i keep on forgetting that this movie will introduce two-face as well...it's gonna be good. real good.

edit: and i just checked out whysoserious.com...all those pictures of clowns in different cities!? i will have a heart attack if i start seeing that around town.

right on. that's like saying jack nicholson was doing a caesar romero-as-joker impersonation.

Come to think of it...

You guys are right about Ledger being way creepier, and he does seem to pull it off. It's the voice for me, which if you think about it, they are all sort of doing the Cesar Romero version. There's just something in his inflection that makes me immediately think of Jack. Doesn't mean I don't want to see it.

i hear you, mr. k. really, the joker is a tough role for any actor to put too much of their own spin on...i mean, it's THE JOKER. i think the difference here versus caeser/jack is the overall atmosphere of the movie he's playing him in. the previous two actors played him w/ a little more camp, like the comic book version itself...where, much like the recent films themselves, ledger's version is more based on the much darker graphic novel version.

i guess we'll have to see...proof is in the pudding (whatever that saying means).

Is The Dark Knight based on a particular graphic novel? I'm not a comic junkie, but I remember enjoying The Dark Knight Returns very much, and had assumed this film is based on that.

not really. I'm sure there will be some ideas taken from various stories (much like Batman Returns) but it'snot based on any one story in particular.

they'd need enough time, to build up the character of Barbara Gordon/Batgirl, to get people to care about her. It's way too early in the franchise to even think about it. but it would be cool to see one day.

indeed. btw, i think i'm getting that fancy bound version of 'the new frontier' from the mrs. for x-mas...i took a quick look at one of the paperback versions, looks fantastic. thanks for the thumbs up.

Killing Joke would be the end all be all, but I dont think they ever could, we can hope though. What about Paul Pope's Batman Year 100, that thing rocked!

I've been meaning to pick up the TPB of that. Matt Wagner's "Batman and the Monster Men" and "Batman and the Mad Monk" are excellent as well.

the one concern i have about this franchise is how they introduce villains and how many they introduce at once--i really hope they pace themselves and allow for proper development of characters backstories, leading up to their transformation into villains. especially two-face, riddler, etc. i mean, i'm not a huge comic book buff at ALL, but i have a general awareness of characters and plotlines. and when you have legendary villains like venom finally introduced (in spiderman 3), only to be given lip service and then a hasty demise, it's frustrating.