Comic Book Movie Adaptations

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite enjoyed the Ang Lee Hulk movie... but yeah, the dogs were shite.

Not sure about this new one. Was interested when Norton was involved, but the trailer doesn't really sell it to me. The CGI does look woeful.

Bring on Iron Man though - very much looking forward to that.

I think this looks like an artless atrocity and could well be the most poorly put-together action blockbuster trailer I've ever seen. I'm sure I'm far from the only person who's savaged it. When something is this self-evidently bad, people will tend to hate it, after all. The Hulk is like the Don Quixote of superhero movies, only his productions somehow actually make it to release, in spite of being abortions.

'Don Quixote of superhero movies.' i love it.

apparently stan lee is going to be making citizen kane into a comic book soon, although it's not being started until next summer (they're not to keen on the original script from the film - that whole "rosebud" thing is just superfluous, let's face it) and will take about 4 years in production - he's going to begin by making it in pen and ink - whilst they've also developed this state of the art computer effect to do a lot of the art work which lee can't be arsed to spend time doing himself - but i'm sure the pen and ink are gonna pull out before completion and he'll have to draft in some crayola to finish the job. i love films. i love comics. what's not to love about this news?

that hulk looks shit. why didn't they try and make it like the tv show - with him going from town to town - there was something lonely about all that which would have been great to develop for a film. when are they goping to make a big screen "the littlest hobo"? surely the point of stealing a character from another media should be so that you already have an audience that'll know the character, so why the buggery-muffin do they always spend the whole film going through the "how they got to be like that" story line? only worse. it takes 5 minutes of the credits to do a comic book style "reason why they are like they are" and then the rest of the film could actually be enjoyable. anyway, whatever, I'm going to go watch The Wizard Of Oz on tv - now that's a proper adaptation, right there!

Here's one for the kids.

Marvel as released the trailer for Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow (previously known as Teen Avengers and Avengers Reborn), its next upcoming direct to DVD animated movie distributed by Lionsgate.

The trailer features the basics of the story's premise, that is, the children of the Avengers must unite to face Ultron who has defeated their parents. The young heroes are mentored by Tony Stark. The DVD is scheduled for release this summer.

I personally still want to re-make FROM HELL, that can only be a mini-series on HBO

I'm in full agreement, particularly with any Alan Moore adaptation. But life's a tough lot, and you have to make concessions to Hollywood. Which brings me neatly onto Watchmen. Just been having a look on the blog, apparently the filming has wrapped and is now in post production, which given that it's released on 6th March 2009, is a heck of long wait. Anyway the blog has some pics of the characters:

ComedianFull-thumb.jpg

NIteOwlFull-thumb.jpg

OzymandiasFull-thumb.jpg

RorschachFull-thumb.jpg

I'm unsure whether these are photos or artwork, but seeing as it's directed by the chap who did 300, I'm sensing it's a combnation of both.

This however IS a frame from the film. A bit of Rorschach in action:

rorschach1-thumb.jpg

you see this?

http://blog.newsarama.com/2008/03/13/fearf...e-watchmen-ads/

a comparison of the original Watchmen ads to the stills.

watchmen_poster_nowl_sm2.JPG

watchmen_poster_ror_sm2.JPG

That article was excellent. The difference between the two is quite marked, whether the movie photos are to be used in a promotional sense is unclear yet, but I hope they at least try to go with some sort of feel of those original ads. At least with the original ads the characters are placed in the context of their natural environment, giving a sense of their nature. If nothing else, it would create far more intrigue (definitely necessary in the age of viral marketing), and therefore interest, than the glossy shots.

I'm still not convinced about Watchmen as a movie, but we'll see - the finale is going to be a CGI fest, no wonder it's going to take over a year of post-production...

There was talk about how Rorschach's mask would move about as well...

Side Note -

I'm a fan M.Night's UNBREAKABLE, with it's blu ray release approaching, I was wondering - whatever happened to the talk of that being a trilogy? I for one, would still like to see that.

I thought he shot those rumors down when the film was released.