Getting Bored of Wilco shows

So i know some people will say don't go to the show etx,

But I want to be excited and witness a great show.

I would love it if they played a completely new setlist for the Chicago shows.

Songs they haven't played for years..or newer songs they never play.

I know they are playing a lot of new songs..that is great...but the ones they have been playing for the last

couple of years are just getting a bit boring to me.

And I love Wilco.

There are wilco cover bands....sweet

but i am serious with my complaint.....i take it nobody else feels this way?

Lots of people feel the same way you do.

However, as is often stated on the board, Wilco has to cater to all sorts of people. For example, I've seen Wilco 5 times (and Jeff Tweedy 3 times) since AGIB came out, and obviously I'd love to be surprised by rare songs. At the same time, I'm going to the Auditorium show with my dad and brother who have never seen Wilco before, and they mainly know Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and perhaps a few more hits like Shot in the Arm.

Wilco can't and won't just cater to me. The songs they play every show are really really good live, and it would suck for my brother and dad as first time listeners to miss out on the standards and just get more obscure/untested stuff.

When Jeff Tweedy plays solo, he digs deeper into the catalogue, but when Wilco plays they try to make sure everyone has a good time, not just the fans who see them too much.

So i know some people will say don't go to the show etx,

But I want to be excited and witness a great show.

I would love it if they played a completely new setlist for the Chicago shows.

Songs they haven't played for years..or newer songs they never play.

I know they are playing a lot of new songs..that is great...but the ones they have been playing for the last

couple of years are just getting a bit boring to me.

And I love Wilco.

are you just bored of the setlists, or have you actually been bored as a result of attending a live show?

p.s. after typing "bored" twice the word lost all meaning to me. Hate when that happens.

I saw Wilco 8 x's during the last two years..They never dissapoint..They always bring it..But yea I agree..They've gotten into a comfort zone of playing the same core group of songs..Misunderstood is my favorite song ever but it somehow lost its intensity recently.

you could always not go until they put out a new album.

Which reminds me I need to put a post on the My Morning Jacket and Radiohead fanboards about how tired I am of them playing the same songs and tell everybody why they shouldn't be excited for the show.

I kind of feel your pain. There are some songs you can pretty much count on hearing when you see Wilco. That just comes with the territory, though . . . they're getting bigger, and have to cater to an audience. I don't mind at all, because there are always enough little changes to make it seem fresh. For instance, I saw them three weeks ago, and Nels's work on Kamera made it sound like a whole new song to me.

I can't wait for the Auditorium shows, though. I bet they'll have some rarities buried in there somewhere.

come to my place - i also do private living room shows. and i take requests!

Would you show me how to do that fingerpicking bit on Acuff-Rose? I'd like that :D

Ungrateful.

Either you don't hear the music at all or you're missing the good parts - I don't know what could possibly be boring about this band.

I mostly agree, but I never mind indulging in my fantasy set list. Then again, I can't afford to see them nearly as often as a lot of you folks do.

Five things Wilco did/did not do at your last show that you might have misconcieved as "boring:"

1) Opened with Misunderstood. This wasn't boring, it was a declaration at the beginning of the show that you are about to be rocked by nothing but pure rock from the soul of a man named Jeff Tweedy.

2) A majority of the songs they played were from YHF and AGiB. Count again, fool! Over the past year Wilco has regularly debuted new songs from an unreleased album (about one per month). In fact, for all we know they are figuring out how that album is going to sound based on your reaction at these shows - making slight adjustments according to the spontaneous nature of a live show. So, hopefully you weren't sitting reading a newspaper during "Is That The Thanks I Get."

3) Jeff didn't punch or choke anyone at my show. Look, if you really want it, you know what you have to do... :cheekkiss

4) They didn't cover Ziggy Stardust. And hopefully they never will again because last time it was a disaster.

5) They actually played in my hometown instead of forcing me to download a show or stream it online. Maybe you're actually 'bored' because you overexpose yourself and can't hear the nuance in their music anymore. If it was 1999 and you were still on dial-up AOL then hearing Wilco in person might be more special. Scary thought, I know.

Would you show me how to do that fingerpicking bit on Acuff-Rose? I'd like that :D

heh, i fuck that bit up myself always - you'll only get the main song

I wish Wilco had been to Australia enough times for me to get even slighly bored. I'm starting to think I'll never see them again.

:wave

another melbournian... what suburb you from??

I've seen Wilco once, Tweedy once, both times I was enthralled. I would love to see Wilco again, and would be happy with whatever they played. Even if it was an exact repeat of the show I saw. Maybe it's just because I don't really collect any Wilco live shows, but I don't think I would be disappointed with a particular set list, maybe I would if I regularly went to shows or downloaded them. I think it's awesome when they toss in more rarely played songs, but having a really solid core of sweet songs makes for a great show...at least in my eyes.

I've seen Wilco once, Tweedy once, both times I was enthralled. I would love to see Wilco again, and would be happy with whatever they played. Even if it was an exact repeat of the show I saw. Maybe it's just because I don't really collect any Wilco live shows, but I don't think I would be disappointed with a particular set list, maybe I would if I regularly went to shows or downloaded them. I think it's awesome when they toss in more rarely played songs, but having a really solid core of sweet songs makes for a great show...at least in my eyes.

Hmmm not the best comparison by any means because they are completley different bands I have seen Wilco 9 times and They Might Be Giants about 15 (Over a 10 year period). Between these shows I heard roughly about 50 different Wilco songs and with TMBG I heard about 200+! Look Wilco has less albums but you get my point. When you just don't know what to expect and it keeps it more exciting. Wilco are a great band and put on an awesome show no matter what but it would be even better if they throw a few more old gems into the show. I have heard at the last 5 Wilco shows everytime (iattbyh, shot in the arm, jesus, heavy metal, im the man, california stars, theologians, im always in love, hummingbird, altwys, handshake drug) Thats half a show with no changes! Heck even if they played wishful thinking more oftent I would be thrilled!

But on another note when Tweedy is solo he mixes it up to perfection! I WANT MORE SOLO SHOWS JEFF! Keep em coming! :rock

Thanks!

are you just bored of the setlists, or have you actually been bored as a result of attending a live show?

Both. I'd enjoy some variation, but (as stated) my solution is just to sit out the auditorium shows and go see them when they have new material to play and/or add some different tunes to the setlist. The problem was me seeing them everytime they came back here and/or played nearby...it gets stale for me, not that they are stale themselves per say. No biggie.

Hmmm not the best comparison by any means because they are completley different bands I have seen Wilco 9 times and They Might Be Giants about 15 (Over a 10 year period). Between these shows I heard roughly about 50 different Wilco songs and with TMBG I heard about 200+! Look Wilco has less albums but you get my point. When you just don't know what to expect and it keeps it more exciting. Wilco are a great band and put on an awesome show no matter what but it would be even better if they throw a few more old gems into the show. I have heard at the last 5 Wilco shows everytime (iattbyh, shot in the arm, jesus, heavy metal, im the man, california stars, theologians, im always in love, hummingbird, altwys, handshake drug) Thats half a show with no changes! Heck even if they played wishful thinking more oftent I would be thrilled!

But on another note when Tweedy is solo he mixes it up to perfection! I WANT MORE SOLO SHOWS JEFF! Keep em coming! :rock

Thanks!

:ermm I'm confused, I didn't even make reference to They Might Be Giants or any other bands in my original post...but I do agree with you that it would be awesome if they threw in some more old gems, because that always makes shows exciting.

it's weird...while i love the current lineup of wilco i also think the tension in the songs and perfomance has become a bit safe, too smooth, and predictable. I want a rocknroll show that could explode at an moment. I know some people think I am crazy, but

I guess this is what happens when you follow a band for such a long time and see too many shows.

hehe.

Five things Wilco did/did not do at your last show that you might have misconcieved as "boring:"

1) Opened with Misunderstood. This wasn't boring, it was a declaration at the beginning of the show that you are about to be rocked by nothing but pure rock from the soul of a man named Jeff Tweedy.

2) A majority of the songs they played were from YHF and AGiB. Count again, fool! Over the past year Wilco has regularly debuted new songs from an unreleased album (about one per month). In fact, for all we know they are figuring out how that album is going to sound based on your reaction at these shows - making slight adjustments according to the spontaneous nature of a live show. So, hopefully you weren't sitting reading a newspaper during "Is That The Thanks I Get."

3) Jeff didn't punch or choke anyone at my show. Look, if you really want it, you know what you have to do... :cheekkiss

4) They didn't cover Ziggy Stardust. And hopefully they never will again because last time it was a disaster.

5) They actually played in my hometown instead of forcing me to download a show or stream it online. Maybe you're actually 'bored' because you overexpose yourself and can't hear the nuance in their music anymore. If it was 1999 and you were still on dial-up AOL then hearing Wilco in person might be more special. Scary thought, I know.

I love it how you know what should and shouldn't be boring to that guy.