Tweedy, Costello, Jones

from billboard.com

November 14, 2006, 11:15 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Wilco's Jeff Tweedy, Elvis Costello and George Jones are among the artists pitching in on country legend Charlie Louvin's first new album in more than a decade. The self-titled 12-track set will arrive Feb. 20 via Tompkins Square Records and be supported with an extensive tour.

Louvin, who turns 80 in July, recorded the album earlier this year in Nashville with producer Mark Nevers. Also contributing to the sessions were Will Oldham, Tom T. Hall, Bobby Bare Sr., Marty Stuart, The Clean's David Kilgour and members of Lambchop, Superchunk, Bright Eyes and Clem Snide.

The repertoire encompasses Louvin Brothers songs plus tracks long associated with the Carter Family, the Monroe Brothers and Jimmie Rogers. The album also includes a Charlie-sung tribute to his late brother and collaborator, Ira.

The Louvin Brothers remain a towering influence over country music; a Universal South tribute album, "Livin', Lovin', Losin' -- Songs of the Louvin Brothers," won the 2004 Grammy for best country album.

Here is the track list for "Charlie Louvin":

"Must You Throw Dirt in My Face," featuring George Jones

"Great Atomic Power," featuring Jeff Tweedy

"Blues Stay Away From Me," featuring Bobby Bare Sr., Tom T. Hall and Marty Stuart

"The Christian Life," featuring Eef Barzalay

"When I Stop Dreaming," featuring Elvis Costello, Mac McCaughan and Pete Cummings

"Waiting for a Train," featuring George Jones and Marty Stuart

"Kneeling Drunkard's Plea," featuring Alex McManus

"Worried Man Blues," featuring Bobby Bare Sr., Kurt Wagner and Marty Stuart

"Grave on the Green Hillside," featuring Marty Stuart and Tift Merritt

"Knoxville Girl," featuring Will Oldham and Marty Stuart

"Ira," featuring Marty Stuart

"My Long Journey Home," featuring David Kilgour

Truth - I own them all. But thanks for the suggestions anyway. You can count me as one of those people who prefers the Tweedy sound to the Farrar sound. No big deal, no disrespect to Farrar, it's just the way it turned out for me.

I saw Charlie Louvin and Emmylou Harris (among others good and bad) at the Friday Night Opry in Nashville last night. They both did good, though Emmylou's backing band Kennedy-Rose made me want to hurl myself off the balcony.

Graet article A-Man.This is a must show to a few of my friends.Who from Clem Snide is on this?I just got into them and in love!

eef barzalay is clem snide's lead singer and main songwriter.

eef's presence on this album excited me for sure, but costello and tweedy on the same album? sounds like my personal heaven. :music