• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do flaming lips albums count as concept albums? I am an avid fan, but if the answer to that question is "yes," please help explain the concept(s).

its like a certain theme throughout the whole album, like rock operas n shit.

I've always taken concept album to be where every song is related directly, but most of these seem to be more the 'theme' records that someone mentioned.

OK Computer for instance - i personally wouldn't call that a concept album. sonically there is a theme and there is a current of paranoia, technology, etc running through, but tracks like Exit Music are about Romeo and Juliet. The Tourist is about Jonny Greenwood observing tourists.

I've heard the first concept album was The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow (i think that's the name).

anyone heard it?

I've always taken concept album to be where every song is related directly, but most of these seem to be more the 'theme' records that someone mentioned.

OK Computer for instance - i personally wouldn't call that a concept album. sonically there is a theme and there is a current of paranoia, technology, etc running through, but tracks like Exit Music are about Romeo and Juliet.

aren't all radiohead's songs about paranoia? AH! the sky is falling the world is going to end! We hate major corporations but we're signed by capital records!

Dark Side of the Moon and Days of Future Passed.

Do flaming lips albums count as concept albums? I am an avid fan, but if the answer to that question is "yes," please help explain the concept(s).

Yoshimi has a operatic flow, but Wayne has said only the first few songs are a stong concept.

aren't all radiohead's songs about paranoia? AH! the sky is falling the world is going to end! We hate major corporations but we're signed by capital records!

Hail to the Thief was their sixth and final album in their Capitol deal. So for the time being (unless I have missed it) they are labelless. But I'm guessing it will be announced soon since their album is already done and has at least started being mixed as of a few months ago.

coolies_doug-799474.jpg

I saw The Coolies do "Doug" several times in the late 80's. Clay Harper is a nut.

"Amazingly, the Coolies followed the one-joke dig..? with the brilliant Doug, a trenchant "rock opera" about a skinhead who murders a transvestite short- order cook, gets rich by publishing his victim's recipes, falls into paranoia and substance abuse and ends up in the gutter. The sad tale is related through ingenious knockoffs of the Who ("Cook Book"), John Lennon ("Poverty"), the Replacements ("Coke Light Ice"), rap ("Pussy Cook") and metal ("The Last Supper"), and in a comic book

I am surprised no one has yet mentioned Arthur (Or The Decline And Fall Of The British Empire)

kinks10.jpg

LouieB

I did.

Yeah, I'm listening to it right now! Absolutely brilliant album. I think it's the least concepty of that run of kinks albums: from Village Green to Muswell Hillbillies, and then after that they got just a little bit TOO concepty for my liking (although I do still like me some Soap Opera every now and again)

Has Good Old Boys by Randy Newman been mentioned?

agreed, but the majority of the ones people are posting arent concrete concept albums. the only real concept albums i can think of right now are Aeroplane and Yoshimi

you must have missed my Yes post. haha.

pretty damn conceptual.