Yoshimi Battles the Great White Way

Sorkin Will Script Flaming Lips Musical

The ''West Wing''/''Studio 60'' creator will write the script of a musical based on the psych-rockers' ''Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots''

By Michael Endelman

The Great White Way will never be the same: In an exclusive interview, Wayne Coyne, lead singer of the Flaming Lips, told EW.com that the psych-rock band will team up with acclaimed TV writer and show creator Aaron Sorkin to turn the group's 2002 album Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots into a Broadway musical.

Sorkin's reps confirmed on Tuesday (March 20) that the West Wing creator has officially signed on to write the musical's script. ''Maybe that means they'll need to build a stage with lots of hallways on it,'' joked Coyne of Sorkin's fondness for walking-and-talking characters. ''It will be a giant tube that's always moving!''

Sorkin is just one of many marquee collaborators attached to the project: Tony Award-winning director/producer Des McAnuff (Jersey Boys, The Who's Tommy) will be overseeing the show. In fact, the unexpected collaboration grew out of McAnuff's fondness for the Lips' acclaimed Yoshimi album. ''When Des heard the record, he heard a lot about death and loss and the triumph of your own optimism... he had an emotional attachment to it,'' Coyne says. The San Diego-based theater producer pursued the idea and convinced the band that the album would make a compelling musical

Finally, a Broadway show I can drag my wife to instead of vice-versa! (I'm still bitter she wouldn't go see Evil Dead: The Musical with me) :lol

''There's a Japanese girl; she fights some robots; that's five minutes. After that I don't know.''

How can you possibly go wrong with this?

not so sure about that christmas on mars movie :(

keep the faith, it's coming Christmas 2003. seriously though, Flaming Lips are working their way into pop culture, Wayne Coyne will be on Leno tomorrow in a segment about SXSW. I wouldn't be surprised if they become "She Don't Use Jelly" huge in a non-music specific way. I can't wait for the Ebert and Roeper review about Xmas.