The National - Boxer

Excellent record. One of the year's best, definitely, and I really doubt it won't be in my top 5 by year's end.

It's so wonderfully cohesive.

Anyway, here's how I rank the National material I have:

The National 7/10

Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers 8/10

Cherry Tree 8/10

Alligator 9/10

Boxer 9/10

I agree with everything you have except I think Boxer is a 10/10. Really, what more could you want from a band that has already put out two 8 to 9/10 albums?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i saw them on Thursday at one of the 5 bowery ballroom shows in NYC. amazing. they are truly one of the best bands right now. the songs are just great live, they really shine. they seem more relaxed on stage as well - matt berninger went into the crowd during "Abel" and let the crowd sing with him. it was a lot of fun.

I agree with everything you have except I think Boxer is a 10/10. Really, what more could you want from a band that has already put out two 8 to 9/10 albums?

I really debated whether to give Boxer a 10, but decided to wait just because you don't really know whether a record is a 10, in my opinion, until it's been a few months and you're still enamored with t.

Boxer is still my fav album of 2007...gets better with every spin just like alligator did. For those just discovering them, they are a 'must see' live act.

I really debated whether to give Boxer a 10, but decided to wait just because you don't really know whether a record is a 10, in my opinion, until it's been a few months and you're still enamored with t.

You know, that is a very fair comment to make and I think you may be right. I find I myself call albums "great" only for their shine to wear off in a few months. I cannot see that happenig with Boxer but i think I agree with you.

After seeing their video and hearing the song "start a war" I am really excited for the release of this one, almost as excited as I am for sky blue sky here's a link to the video

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1fwmf_40...art-a-war"

Fun looking back at theae posts before both SBS and the Boxer were released. Both can be compared to the extent that they are more laid back than previous efforts by both bands. In my opnion the Boxer just does more for me, than SBS. I have played both many times since their release and Boxer is still in heavy rotation, less so for SBS.

great show last night, except for the tumble during mr. november! here's the list:

Start A War

Slow Show

Secret Meeting

Brainy

Baby, We'll Be Fine

Squalor Victoria

Lit Up

Apartment Story

Soho Riots

Mistaken For Strangers

Racing Like A Pro

Ada

Fake Empire

Mr. November

--

Gospel

Abel

About Today

great show last night, except for the tumble during mr. november! here's the list:

Start A War

Slow Show

Secret Meeting

Brainy

Baby, We'll Be Fine

Squalor Victoria

Lit Up

Apartment Story

Soho Riots

Mistaken For Strangers

Racing Like A Pro

Ada

Fake Empire

Mr. November

--

Gospel

Abel

About Today

I really enjoyed this show. I wish they would have substituted "All The Wine" and "Murder Me Rachael" for a couple of the slower songs, but beggars can't be choosers.

Boxer just gets better with every listen, and Start A War just punches me in the gut every time.