The National - Boxer

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely in the category of listeners who struggle with the idea that this band is noteworthy in any way. They get a lot of really positive ink, so I've given them a shot or two, but I can't find anything remarkable about either of their big ballyhooed albums. Listening to this White Session stuff, it's nice, but... I don't know, I just don't feel the need to save and relisten to it.

• 2 months later...

Illuminating interview with Matt Berninger at eMusic:

A tiny, subtle diamond in a field of ten-foot neon exclamation points, Boxer, the stately, flawless fifth record from the Brooklyn group the National, draws strength from the power of suggestion. "Let's not try to figure out everything at once," Matt Berninger sings softly in the glowing opener "Fake Empire," and that line could be a statement of theme: On Boxer, the epiphanies take their time. Since their relocation from Ohio to New York, the National has built a career on writing wry songs that express sympathy for the bedeviled. Boxer is about the first step after the Big Dream fails. It's a record about the implication but not the explanation, the clues but not the mystery. It's a record full of down-payment dreamers, ruined princes and glowing young ruffians who are learning to be satisfied with everything they haven't got. They're beaten but grinning

One of those new fans was Bruce Springsteen. How did you find out about his interest in you?

We had heard that he'd been using some of our songs in his pre-show walk-in music. He had "About Today" from Cherry Tree and a few other songs. Then we were asked to take part in a tribute concert to his Nebraska album, and we were excited and happy to do that. We didn't realize he was actually going to show up. Sure enough, right before we went on stage to do "Mansion on the Hill," I turned around and he was standing right behind me with Patti. And suddenly, it became a much more nerve-wracking experience.

Thats funny. I had a very similar experience playing a Springsteen tribute show in Asbury Park!

I just got this record and listened to it twice so far and I wasn't all that impressed. My first thought was that I've heard this from a lot indie bands as of late, but the jury is still out and I will spin it a few more times.

I think it's great that the guy from Crash Test Dummies found a new band.

hah. they sound nothing like each other honestly.

unless you think Leonard Cohen and Stuart Staples also sound like the dude from CTD?

Thats funny. I had a very similar experience playing a Springsteen tribute show in Asbury Park!

I just got this record and listened to it twice so far and I wasn't all that impressed. My first thought was that I've heard this from a lot indie bands as of late, but the jury is still out and I will spin it a few more times.

it's a very subtle record that takes some time to reveal itself. i'd say if you enjoyed it even at all, give it some more time, if it doesn't grow on you, that's cool, at least you tried.

i'd be curious who the other indie bands you're referring to though...

it's a very subtle record that takes some time to reveal itself. i'd say if you enjoyed it even at all, give it some more time, if it doesn't grow on you, that's cool, at least you tried.

i'd be curious who the other indie bands you're referring to though...

I'm not referring to any particular indie bands, but being a musician and being out and about in clubs all of the time, I hear a lot of stuff that generally sounds similar, especially in NYC, where the music scene has no heart and is generally trend based: the beats, the guitar tones, the deep voice. When you hear something for the first time, you naturally tend to compare it to something you've heard before and with this album, The Arcade Fire defintely came to mind. That being said, I've recently been in the state of mind where I want to hear something new, something that will just smack me in the face, as I feel that the whole "indie rock" thing has kind of run its course, so I think that makes me unfairly biased. I've also just began recording my 3rd album, which puts me in a strange mindset when it comes to listening to music becuase I don't want to be affected by anything going on outside my own little world. There are some songs I really do like on "The Boxer" , like "Green Gloves" and I will defintely do as I do with any new record I get: spin it no less than ten times before I come to any real conclusions. My earlier statements are based on first impressions, and I'm always waiting for something to catch me. God knows its happened a thousand times before! It took me 6 months to even understand what was going on on Captain Beefhearts "Trout Mask Replica" and another 6 months to like it, now its one of my favorite records ever, so I've certianly learned my lessons!

• 5 months later...
I still don't get this album.

nothing to "get" really, if you don't like it, you don't like it i'd imagine

i'll admit it was a bit of grower for me (still liked it quite a bit from the start tho), but i've been a National fan for quite a while prior too

obam.jpg

http://www.merchco-online.com/index.php?ma...8712eef32ce4458

Sorry if this has already been posted.

mine came on Saturday :w00t

• 3 months later...

This morning I was watching the DVD of the Democratic Convention, and watched a bonus Obama ad called "Signs of Hope and Change." I was pleasantly surprised to recognize some familiar music by The National:

I was actually listening to this album today in the car. I had heard about this group a year ago from a coworker but never really paid much mind to listening to any of their albums. After their dvd came out, I decided to give it a try and got the Virginia EP as part of a combo. I really liked what I heard on the Ep so I decided to try out Boxer. I picked it up yesterday, along with the new James record and started listening to it today. I usually don't pay much attention to lyrics, but am much more interested in the cohesive sound of a song and how it makes me feel at the end of the song. I think this is an album that could be in constant rotation in my cd player.