Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival

Tickets just went on sale/sold out this morning for the Clapton guitar festival in Bridgeview, IL on July 28th.....for those of you in the Chicago area, Who got their tickets today?? I know i just picked up a pair, this shows going to be amazing :rock

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What, no Clapton fans in here????? :no

Eric Clapton is definitely on my "Most Over-Rated of All-Time" list. I do recall the lineup of this fest being pretty good. I couldn't find it though on the clapton website...care to post it?

i guess you are entitled to your opinion. I dont see how hes overrated though, he sure knows how to wail with the best of 'em. Anyway, heres the lineup for the show so far:

Current Confirmed Artists Include:

Jeff Beck

Doyle Bramhall II

Eric Clapton

Robert Cray

Sheryl Crow

Vince Gill

Buddy Guy

BB King

Alison Krauss and Union Station

Sonny Landreth

Albert Lee

Los Lobos

John McLaughlin

Willie Nelson

Robert Randolph & The Family Band

Hubert Sumlin

The Derek Trucks Band

Jimmie Vaughan

Steve Winwood

Buddy Guy is a legend. Sonny Landreth is great to see live. Los Lobos is a really fun band to see live as well. This line-up is definitely worth seeing. I know nothing of the venue but I'm sure it'll be a great time. Very possible that all of the players from Blind Faith will play together as well.

Eric Clapton is definitely on my "Most Over-Rated of All-Time" list. I do recall the lineup of this fest being pretty good. I couldn't find it though on the clapton website...care to post it?

I am no longer allowed to express an opinion about Slowhand per the injunction issued on RMAS after my comments that the wrong guitar player got on that helicopter. :(

I really don't feel that harshly anymore...was just missing SRV.

Besides John McLaughlin and B.B. King, I don't find the festivial interesting at all especially not worth the expensive tickets. Who wants to hear John Mayer and Eric Clapton is lazy.

I don't dislike or like Buddy Guy. However, I do love his playing on Junior Wells's amazing classic album Hoodoo Man Blues.

I don't dislike or like Buddy Guy. However, I do love his playing on Junior Wells's amazing classic album Hoodoo Man Blues.
I assume this is the Delmark album. Great stuff.....from the oldest indie record label in country.

LouieB

Very possible that all of the players from Blind Faith will play together as well.

There was a rumor late in 2006 that Blind Faith would be doing some shows, well 3/4's of BF anyway, Ric Grech died in 1990. It was supposed to happen. Given the tendency people have had to sit in at previous Crossroads Fests I wouldn't doubt if those two do a BF song.

I wish I could go, reports from the recent Clapton tour said the shows were great. EC always puts on a good show. Some will call him lazy for taking one long solo for the entire show, I say he has class to let others in his band get some of the spotlight. From what I've read he's been very gracious to Derek and Doyle on the last tour.

I am no longer allowed to express an opinion about Slowhand per the injunction issued on RMAS after my comments that the wrong guitar player got on that helicopter. :(

I really don't feel that harshly anymore...was just missing SRV.

i say that all the time, and it's priceless just to see the looks on peoples faces.

i agree, eric clapton is one of the most overrated guitarists of all time. but that lineup is amazing. robert cray, buddy guy, bb king... i'd give anything to see them play.

Clapton is overrated, please, that's crazy talk and petty backlash against his pop career. His playing on the Mayall\Beano album alone is enough that he should never be considered overrated. His playing and tone on that album was responsible for jump starting the modern era of rock guitar playing.

i just recently saw clapton at the ford center in okc. not a bad venue, i'm just not fond of arena style shows. he played a ton of derek and the dominos stuff. derek trucks played with him and held his own. doyle bramhall ii was the thirds axe man and considerably outclassed. as good as derek trucks was, when clapton took his turn he truly shamed the rest of them. he presented a very professional but somewhat unemotional performance. the real highlight for me was the all too brief robert cray opening set. the crossroads festival would truly be worth it, i just can't get away for it.

Hubert Sumlin was supposed to play at my wedding, but he bowed out at the last minute due to health issues....the bandleader found a replacement but that would have been pretty cool.

LouieB

Tickets just went on sale/sold out this morning for the Clapton guitar festival in Bridgeview, IL on July 28th.....for those of you in the Chicago area, Who got their tickets today?? I know i just picked up a pair, this shows going to be amazing :rock

A friend of mine tried to pick up tickets Saturday morning and got denied. He called me at 9:30 and asked me if I wanted to go. I thought, hell, why not? Then I went and looked at the full lineup and got really excited. He then calls me at 10:20 to tell me tickets are sold out and that they're already going for $200+ on Stub hub, talk about a buzzkill. :frusty

A friend of mine tried to pick up tickets Saturday morning and got denied. He called me at 9:30 and asked me if I wanted to go. I thought, hell, why not? Then I went and looked at the full lineup and got really excited. He then calls me at 10:20 to tell me tickets are sold out and that they're already going for $200+ on Stub hub, talk about a buzzkill. :frusty

yeah, a pair of general admission tickets went on ebay for 470 bucks today :omg....outrageous

• 7 months later...

PBS in Atlanta aired this last night (w/ numerous pledge drive interruptions).

Winwood joined Clapton's band and played a couple of Blind Faith tunes (Presence of the Lord, Had to Cry Today) and a Traffic tune (Mr. Fantasy). They might have done more than those. I didn't catch the whole thing.

I am a part-time Clapton basher, but I was knocked out by his playing on the Blind Faith dvd. I was doubly impressed because one of my main complaints is that he started going down the tubes when he quit playing Gibson guitars, yet he played a Telecaster at the Blind Faith concert and sounded fantastic.

(Side note for guitar geeks: Clapton used the middle position on his pickup selector at the Blind Faith gig. Consesus among Tele nerds is that middle position is the worst sounding of the three options. Pretty amazing that Clapton made it sound so beautiful. Since seeing that dvd I've laid off the Clapton bashing, although I did catch myself saying "shoulda let Derek Trucks take the solo" at least once last night.)