Least favorite Wilco songs

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My five, chronologically...

1. It's Just That Simple (sorry John)

2. Dreamer in My Dreams (they probably had a blast recording this - listening to it; not so much)

3. ELT (alt.country-by-numbers w/ overdubbed fx, out of place on Summerteeth, i could go on...)

4. Reservations

5. Less Than You Think (dronedronedrone)

Guest Speed Racer
I somewhat agree with your view - but still - I think it valid to see what has come before.

Like the album we didn't know about then, full of songs that people apparently dislike? The discographies, they are a'changin'.

In other words, you're making your own rules.

Nope. They still wrote the music, and the jangle of 'Christ' and the slog of 'Blood' are what kill me. Besides, Mr. Bragg had little input on either of these. If he wanted to exlcude Guthrie lyrics, he should have said 'Guthrie' and not 'Bragg.'

Guest Speed Racer

Crap! Take from me my 'Christ' and take 'My Darling instead!' I terribly forgot my loathing for that song. Four out of five I dislike, and one I LOATHE!

I'll go one for each album, but spare the new album since its not officially out yet:

Its Just That Simple

Kingpin

We're Just Friends

Heavy Metal Drummer

Hummingbird

...although many of those I like under the right circumstances.

And, for the record, the people who mentioned Dreamer In My Dreams are woefully incorrect. :ninja

Like the album we didn't know about then, full of songs that people apparently dislike? The discographies, they are a'changin'.

That's why there is a search function - if you find a thread like the one you are about to post - new info can be added to what was already posted.

Guest Speed Racer
That's why there is a search function - if you find a thread like the one you are about to post - new info can be added to what was already posted.

Still, a new thread on the same old shit doesn't break the board in two. And a new thread after six months is kind of like changing a water filter...necessary...?

I have an idea -- why don't you guys start a new thread where you can argue over whether this should have been a new thread?

As for the actual thread topic, here are mine, in no particular order:

It's Just That Simple

Kingpin

My Darling

Candy Floss

I'm a Wheel

You know, I find Wilco's output so consistently satisfying that I'm having a hell of a time thinking of five songs by the band that I don't like. That's just about the highest praise I can offer 'em. Here's my list after five minutes of thinking long and hard about it.

1. Spiders (Kidsmoke)

2. Wishful Thinking

3. Spiders (Kidsmoke)

4. It's Just That Simple

5. Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Funny thing is, when I see everyone's lists, I think "man, I really like that song -- especially in concert".

If I was forced to choose one it would be Hesitating Beauty

It's always interesting to see so many of my favorite songs show up on other people's "worst" lists. I think it's a testament to Wilco's quality that everyone can find something to like best, no matter how different.

Here's mine (and I didnt include the new album...no way I can make a valid determination on those songs yet):

1. That's Not the Issue

2. (Was I) In Your Dreams

3. The Lonely 1

4. Can't Stand It

5. Candyfloss

1. Spiders (Kidsmoke)

2. Wishful Thinking

3. Spiders (Kidsmoke)

4. It's Just That Simple

5. Spiders (Kidsmoke)

I don't know if I'd care to go to a Wilco concert if they didn't have Spiders. Who am i kidding, i would, but while Tweedy is a great songwriter (which makes a list like this hard), sometimes I think Wilco is dull musically, not bad musically, but just not that exciting. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot suffers a little bit from lacking a pulse at points, but I think they made up for that with Spiders, which took a fucking great song and gave it the music it deserved, no amount of rock emoticons can express my love for Spiders (kidsmoke).

5 songs that are "meh" to me:

We're Just Friends

My Darling

Say You Miss Me

What's the World Got In Store

Hotel Arizona

1. Dreamer in my Dreams

2. Pieholden Suite

3. Less Than You Think

4. What's the World Got in Store

5. It's Just That Simple

This is probably just a temporary list, though...heck, a year ago I couldn't stand Radio Cure or most of the second half of Being There. Now, it's a different story.