The Thanks I Get (Studio Version)

I agree with those that say Is That The Thanks I Get should have made the album. I love SBS, but one of the weaker moments for me is What Light, and if the band was looking for an up tempo, single-like song, I think they overlooked this one. It's so damn good...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok,this is my first post but i am pretty down with the kids about popping in an enhanced cd and getting it to perform its duties correctly BUT......i got the cd/dvd version the day it came out in ireland and the cd is not 'enhanced@in any way......just twelve audio tracks,no.mov files or anything else.......anybody else have this problem?and yes all my quicktime settings are set correctly

did you try opening the disk in windows explorer if you're a PC person (or the equivalent for a MAC person)?. the album doesnt do anything when i put it in the cd drive (like some other enhanced ones), but if i go to windows explorer, and check the files, a .mov file and readme.txt file pop up.

i clicked the .mov file and the download came up straight away. and this is down in australia

tried everything and it just aint happening,just found the other thread regarding no enhanced content on SBS so i guess like some other posters im just going to have to send the heavies down to wilcoworld and see what they can do!

enjoyable song! i always liked it, possibly not the right vibe for the album. thanks for posting it. i could've bought the record more than two weeks ago, but for some reason I ordered from the Wilco store... won't be making that mistake again!

3.37 plus 2 sec between tracks fits 26 times on an overburnt CDR-90.That's what I gonna do

:lol

I've played this song about the whole morning at work. Can't wait to play it another trillion times on the hifi at home.

By the way, the production is really great. You really feel like they're playing in front of you in the same room. Brilliant.

Samuel

Yes.

Maybe they thought it wasn't boring beautiful enough and didn't want to scare off the new grandma contingent from Reader's Digest. Oh well. I guess I just don't understands the Wilco no more.

Well, if you listen to the album expecting it to be "Giant Pin Meets Wilco!" instead of objectively taking it as it is, you'll be disappointed no matter what.

Ok.

You have to have Quicktime 7 to access the bonus content.

QT 7 requires Win 00.

I still got 98SE.

I know, I know, I need to update (I got my computer right around the time Win2000 was released).

But really, I have no need other than very minor things like this.

What I use my computer for mainly (recording music and surfing the net) work fine still with Win98SE.

Anyways, I guess I will not get to download this track even though I have earned the right to by purchasing the record - the CD/DVD version no less.

Maybe I can borrow my dad's newer laptop and download it and then burn a disc.

Really though, if I have to download QT there as well, that will suck, as we have no need for it.

I wish they would have just put the files on the disc itself.

i fucking love this version... definitely should have made the album despite it maybe being out of place lyrically. i love this song more than any of the other sky blue sky tracks

Just based on your lyrical argument...

If Walken made it, how did this song not make it?

There must have been other factors at play than just lyrics.

Where men are men and sheep don't have disc drives.

This has been Tweedy's MO for a while.

I believe it's in Kot's book where Jay Bennett talks, with some frustration, about Tweedy cutting great songs because they don't fit the album - I have to say I agree with him, though I 100% acknowledge and accept Jeff's desire to create a coherent whole.

I don't know about "mainstream radio airplay" these days but IMHO it's impossible to listen to this song or "Magazine Called Sunset" and not think "these guys should be huge!" These are just great songs.

I mean, I don't expect your average FM listener to dig on, say, "Hummingbird" or even "Impossible Germany" but it seems like Jeff Tweedy almost dislikes it when he composes an accessible pop tune and he kinda shoves them to the back.

The GOOD news is that Wilco has done an amazing jobs putting these songs out - usually as "enhanced" content" - so they aren't lost songs. Beyond loving their music, I am PROUD to be a Wilco fan because of how they show trust by streaming albums and rewarding those who have bought the records.

Still, I'd kinda love to hear a straight-up album that plays into the fun/pop side of Wilco that all the fans know is there...this song would have certainly fit well on an album alongside Walken but c'est la vie...we have it either way, I guess...

Just based on your lyrical argument...

If Walken made it, how did this song not make it?

There must have been other factors at play than just lyrics.

i dunno, maybe they flipped a coin for including either walken or this song and walken won