I could be wrong about this, but based on the music they put out, the early Gilmour period was not successful**. Pink Floyd went from "the rising stars of swinging London" with Barrett to relative obsurity/cult status with Gilmour. It took several albums before they regained their success and built on it.

**I realize success has nothing to do with the point of this thread. Certainly, Gilmour joining made a HUGE transformation in the band's sound.

That because of Roger Waters.

That because of Roger Waters.

So was Roger Waters responsible for the orchestral type of stuff on Atom Heart Mother, etc? I guess the Pink Floyd sound changed more because of the loss of Barrett, rather than Gilmour coming aboard. They seemed to lose all of their pop sensibilities (or perhaps they shunned them in favor of more avant garde pursuits) after Barrett and didn't really regain them until Meddle.

I'll have to listen to those early post-Barrett albums again.

I just ment they were crappy until he got it together with the lyrics. I think without David Gilmour, they would have sunk. I say this as not really much of a fan of the band, and I have never worshipped Syd Barret.

Nirvana dumping Chad Channing for Dave Grohl.

The GD dumping the Godchauxs. Donna was played out and Keith was to a point of merely mimicking Garcia's guitar towards the end. He was pretty out of it. Brent was a breath of fresh air that gave them a whole new dimension for the better. Then again, the Dead had tried to "fire" both Weir and Pigpen for awhile but they simply kept showing up at rehearsals and gigs. Perseverance/stubbornness to the extreme.

Agreed....Keith and Donna had played out their tenure. Was never a huge fan of Donna and her off-key caterwaulling, but in his prime Keith added some nice fills and texture.

I love reading about the stuff that was going on when Bobby and PP were on the outs funny stuff. Like you said they just kept showing up. Of course one could never count on Garcia to get all heavy and be a bad guy and force the issue.

Also consider the way their sound changed when Mickey quit for those 5 years, made a big difference.

bruce dickinson joining iron maiden.

yes, THE bruce dickinson. gold pants

AC/DC. Bon Scott to Brian Johnston. Maybe wasn't an upgrade, but to keep rockin' to that degree. Sweet.

Jeff Beck replacing Eric Clapton in the Yardbirds.

Then Jimmy Page joins and eventually replaces Jeff Beck.

also,

Jimi Hendrix had Billy Cox replace Noel Redding on Bass after Electric Ladyland - (some say during).

Effing David Gilmour replacing Syd Barrett!

booo

gilmore was a great guitar player but no love for syd?

booo

gilmore was a great guitar player but no love for syd?

Plenty of love for Barrett. I don't think any band will ever pull off anything like "Astronomy Domine" ever again in the history of rock n' roll. His contributions made Pink Floyd's diverse discography even more awesome; it's so cool that one band could have not one, but two visionary guitarists and songwriters.

But if Barrett remained the lead man, I don't think "Meddle" or "Dark Side" could have ever happened.

Plenty of love for Barrett. I don't think any band will ever pull off anything like "Astronomy Domine" ever again in the history of rock n' roll. His contributions made Pink Floyd's diverse discography even more awesome; it's so cool that one band could have not one, but two visionary guitarists and songwriters.

But if Barrett remained the lead man, I don't think "Meddle" or "Dark Side" could have ever happened.

...or wish you were here for that matter, and i think many of the more hardcore floyd fans would argue that WYWH was floyd's best work (post-barrett), not dark side.

i wish stevie ray vaughan hadn't replaced eric clapton on that helicopter.

yeah, i said it.

I was bannerated from an online music board for two weeks for voicing a similar opinion.

SRV :worship

Effing David Gilmour replacing Syd Barrett!

Gilmour is an amazing vocalist and guitarist. Syd...wasn't that good musically. Or lyrically. "I'm a poet, and I know it..." etc.

I really think that Gilmour's addition to Pink Floyd is the only reason they became who were remember them as today.

Also,

Donald Fagen and Walter Becker slowly fire every founding member of Steely Dan except themselves...

...or wish you were here for that matter, and i think many of the more hardcore floyd fans would argue that WYWH was floyd's best work (post-barrett), not dark side.

"Dark Side" is semi-underrated purely because it's overrated. It's got such a populist reception for those unfamiliar with Floyd, it being the stoner's dream album, the wizard of oz coinciding, and so forth. But all the baggage aside, I think the album is a wonderful cosmic moment, of everything in the past coming together in perfect harmony. What was especially good was that the songwriting credits almost entirely split evenly.

As albums, I think Meddle and WYWH are overrated; some kind of lagging mid-sections. But as songs, "Echoes" and "Shine On" probably do as much as some of their entire albums.