I got into a conversation with my local independent cd store owner who went to Chastain, an old-time, grey haired, aging hippie who's been around the scene for a while. He was convinced that Jeff hiring Nels and Glenn was the best move for any rock band ever.

While that might be highly debatable for many here, it got me thinking of other dramatic personnel changes that transformed rock bands, like when Bruce got rid of Vinnie "Mad Dog" Lopez, David Sancious, and others and hired Max Weinberg and Roy Bittan. I also thought that Mick Taylor was the best thing that ever happened to the Stones.

Any others come to mind?

I also thought that Mick Taylor was the best thing that ever happened to the Stones.

Any others come to mind?

agreed!!!

The Byrds hiring Clarence White gave McGuinn the guitar chops to be a formidable touring band in later the period.

-Robert.

Nirvana dumping Chad Channing for Dave Grohl.

The GD dumping the Godchauxs. Donna was played out and Keith was to a point of merely mimicking Garcia's guitar towards the end. He was pretty out of it. Brent was a breath of fresh air that gave them a whole new dimension for the better. Then again, the Dead had tried to "fire" both Weir and Pigpen for awhile but they simply kept showing up at rehearsals and gigs. Perseverance/stubbornness to the extreme.

The Black Crowes dumping Jeff Cease and hiring Marc Ford. For about a 5 year period, it generated some awesome music.

The Moody Blues replacing Clint Warwick and Denny Laine with Justin Hayward and John Lodge. Added bonus for getting Justin Hayward from an ad they placed in the newspaper.

Yes replacing Tony Kaye w/ Rick Wakeman

King Crimson replacing Ian Wallace w/ Bill Bruford

The Warlocks (pre-GD) replacing Dana Morgan Jr. w/ Phil Lesh

The Airplane replacing Signe Anderson w/ Grace Slick

One of the worst has to be Sammy Hagar replacing DLR. It really bummed be out in the 5th grade, and actually still does.

If we want to go in the negative direction, Slim Dunlap for Bob Stinson would be one. The Mats were still good but they weren't the same band.

henry rollins joining black flag.

This would be another negative one for me. I love Rollins but, with the exception of Damaged (which had pre-Henry songs recorded with him), they were never as good after he joined the band.

* John "Stumpy" Pepys (1964-1967) Died in a bizarre, unexplained gardening accident.

* Eric "Stumpy Joe" Childs (1967-1974) Choked on vomit of unknown origin.

* Peter "James" Bond (1974-1977) Spontaneously combusted onstage.

* Mick Shrimpton (1977-1982) Onstage explosion

* Joe "Mama" Besser (1982) Quit the band, claiming he "couldn't take this 4/4 shit"; according to an MTV interview with Spinal Tap in November 1991, he disappeared under mysterious circumstances.

* Gary Wallis, Jody Linscott (Amnesty International performance in 1991) (Wallis pretended to explode at the end of the performance.)

* Richard "Ric" Shrimpton (1982-1999) Allegedly sold his dialysis machine for drugs, presumed dead

* Sammy "Stumpy" Bateman (2000) Died in a freak tricycle accident jumping over a pool of sharks.

* Mick Fleetwood (2000) The only one to survive unscathed.

* Plus 14 other drummers at various times all of whom are dead.

Effing David Gilmour replacing Syd Barrett!

Jeez, I was hoping someone was gonna mention that one.

And Neil Peart replacing John Rutsey certainly changed Rush's trajectory.

While that might be highly debatable for many here, it got me thinking of other dramatic personnel changes that transformed rock bands, like when Bruce got rid of Vinnie "Mad Dog" Lopez, David Sancious, and others and hired Max Weinberg and Roy Bittan. I also thought that Mick Taylor was the best thing that ever happened to the Stones.

Any others come to mind?

Actually, Bruce canned Vinnie, who was replaced by Ernest "Boom" Carter.

Carter and Sancious left the band voluntarily.

Other than that...right on about Mick Taylor

Effing David Gilmour replacing Syd Barrett!

....whoa whoa whoa, come on you can say that Floyd went into a different direction after Barrett left but to this day my favorite Floyd albums are the ones that Syd Barrett was playing on. Not taking anything away from Gilmour but Syd Barrett was the man... he just had a few minor problems thats all. :stunned

Really?

I thing Roger the Engineer is their best work. The Clapton years sound kind of generic to me, with only a couple tunes that stand out.

Steve Howe replacing Peter Banks (along with Rick Wakeman taking over the keyboards) created the definitive Yes sound.

....whoa whoa whoa, come on you can say that Floyd went into a different direction after Barrett left but to this day my favorite Floyd albums are the ones that Syd Barrett was playing on. Not taking anything away from Gilmour but Syd Barrett was the man... he just had a few minor problems thats all. :stunned

I could be wrong about this, but based on the music they put out, the early Gilmour period was not successful**. Pink Floyd went from "the rising stars of swinging London" with Barrett to relative obsurity/cult status with Gilmour. It took several albums before they regained their success and built on it.

**I realize success has nothing to do with the point of this thread. Certainly, Gilmour joining made a HUGE transformation in the band's sound.