Official Doctor Who discussion thread

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Life on Mars is a BAFTA and International Emmy award-winning British television drama series, which was first shown on BBC One in January and February 2006. The second and final series ended on 10 April 2007.

The format of the series mixes science fiction, specifically time travel, with police drama. The central character is DCI Sam Tyler of Greater Manchester Police (played by John Simm), who, after being hit by a car in 2006, finds himself in the year 1973. There, he works for Manchester and Salford Police CID as a DI under DCI Gene Hunt (played by Philip Glenister). Over the course of the series, Tyler faces various culture clashes, most frequently regarding differences in his approach to policing compared to that of his colleagues. The series also features a strong ambiguity concerning Tyler's predicament: it is unclear whether he really has travelled back in time, is in a coma in 2006 and imagining his experiences, or if he is mentally unstable.

Ashes to Ashes will feature DCI Gene Hunt (played by Philip Glenister) as its main character. He will be joined by a female detective from the 21st century, DI Alex Drake, who is stranded in 1981 after being shot.[4] She will be played by Keeley Hawes.[1] Also reappearing are Chris Skelton (played by Marshall Lancaster) who is stated to be a "technical wizard" and Ray Carling (played by Dean Andrews). All have transferred to the Metropolitan Police in London and Chris and Ray remain loyal to Gene. There will be a new recruit in the form of WPC Sharon 'Shaz' Granger (to be played by Montserrat Lombard) to replace WDC Annie Cartwright. he is a batty boy

As with the parent series, the show's name comes from a David Bowie song of the era in which it is set, in this case the 1980's "Ashes to Ashes". The Times reported that this spin-off would pick up the lives of Gene Hunt and other characters from the series in 1981[5] and Matthew Graham also said in interviews that the great mystery of Gene Hunt will be revealed.[citation needed] BBC Wales Head of Drama Julie Gardner confirmed that the spin-off was to be produced during an interview for BBC Radio Wales in March 2007.

Sounds interesting.

Doctor Who series 4 starts on Sci-Fi this April, as well as The Sarah Jane Adventures. I'm looking forward to both, but I think the Sarah Jane show is more for kids, correct?

Correct. I haven't watched it though.

• 2 weeks later...

just watched Voyage of the Damned. I enjoyed it, even though it was very tragic, for a Christmas episode. I guess the happy ending for Mr. Copper made up for all the bad stuff.

the new season starts here in April. can't wait!

The Sarah Jane Adventures are really good - sure, they're a little "kiddie" but I enjoyed them :)

I received the first series in the mail recently, I'm looking forward to watching it.

Apparently Mr. Copper turns up in the new series...

this is cool news. I liked the character and I hope he didn't do anything foolish with his credits.

He also played the suffering husband of Hyacinth Bucket in some rubbish comedy series called "Keeping Up Appearances" :)

What are you guys thinking of the new Torchwood so far - I tell you what, Martha Jones' entrance has helped a lot, made me realised how flat it could be.

I am on the UK schedule, and I think there have been quite a few good episodes. They even have tried a couple things, and mixed things up a bit. Martha is a fine addition... I like it better than last season. I don't think the last episode even had anything sexual in it!!

I am on the UK schedule, and I think there have been quite a few good episodes. They even have tried a couple things, and mixed things up a bit. Martha is a fine addition... I like it better than last season. I don't think the last episode even had anything sexual in it!!

you watching the shows online?

• 1 month later...

we've got 3 episodes of Torchwood left, on BBC America. The 4th season of Doctor Who, along with the Sarah Jane Adventures start on Sci-Fi April 18th.

BBC America has been airing the 3rd season of Doctor Who, and this past weekend, one of my favorite epsiodes was shown, "Blink". I loved everything this one, the story was top notch. Maybe someday, Sally Sparrow will become his new companion.

So, first episode by Russel T... and it was ok... bit of a shame as a curtain raiser. Some nice scenes but it felt really glossy and lacked any real substance. We'll see. Next weeks looks great.

I cringed a lot during this episode. I can't say I was much of a fan, and I can't say I don't still have some Catherine Tate doubts. However, the mysterious bit at the end (I don't want to spoil it for the Yankees) was very cool. I liked that. I don't watch previews for upcoming weeks so I haven't seen next weeks, but it can only go up from here! (I wish Russell would stop writing episodes)