Official Doctor Who discussion thread

I just watched the finale a couple of nights ago. My daughter and I got really excited when we saw the Christmas special preview until we realized we have to wait until Christmas to see it! I've just been getting the series off of the internets and hadn't realized we were at the end of what's available. Now, I'm going to go back and watch the old school Doctors.

if you're a netflix member, they have a lot of old episodes available for streaming!

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently discovered that! I've thought of starting a Netflix "watch instantly" thread because there are a lot of goodies available there to stream. I was close to canceling my subscription until I realized so much stuff was available instantly.

• 5 weeks later...
what the hell is a doctor who?
Oh, and the answer to this is:

" Time Lord, from the planet Gallifrey, in the constellation of Kasterborous, 900 and 3 years old and the man who's gonna save your lives and ALL 6 billion people on the planet below...you got a problem with that?"

...and a he's a little bit foxy.

" Time Lord, from the planet Gallifrey, in the constellation of Kasterborous, 900 and 3 years old and the man who's gonna save your lives and ALL 6 billion people on the planet below...you got a problem with that?"

I actually do have a problem with that, because in the old series episode "Time and the Rani", he clearly states that he's 953 years old.

Bad BBC fact checking. tsk tsk tsk.

I actually do have a problem with that, because in the old series episode "Time and the Rani", he clearly states that he's 953 years old.

Bad BBC fact checking. tsk tsk tsk.

I wouldn't get too upset about it, after all it's just a bunch of wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey...stuff tardis.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
News services are reporting that this year's Children in Need will feature a special to include all seven living Doctor Who lead actors.

This is from the Telegraph:

[Remember: treat all such news as rumour until confirmed officially by the BBC]

The actors are getting together for the BBC charity Children in Need in a programme to be broadcast on November 14.

An insider at the BBC said: "It's a pretty ambitious idea and it's still being finalised. Everything is being kept under wraps but Doctor Who fans are in for a big treat."

The first of the 10 actors to take the role was William Hartnell in 1963, followed three years later by Patrick Troughton and then by Jon Pertwee but all three have since died.

The seven survivors include Tom Baker, now best known as the voice of the comedy series Little Britain, who played the role for seven years from 1974.

He was followed by Peter Davidson from 1981 to 1984, whose daughter Georgia Moffett has also featured in the programme and who is now dating the current doctor, David Tennant.

The others are Colin Baker, from 1984 to 1986, Sylvester McCoy who had two stints from 1987 to 1989 and re-appeared in the role in 1996, Paul McGann, who took over the role in 1996 and Christopher Eccleston who reprised the series in 2005.

WhoMontage.jpg

http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=ten_do..._who_covers_for

Ten Doctor Who covers for SFX issue 176

On 23 November 1963, the world met the Doctor for the first time, when An Unearthly Child hit British television screens. Now 45 years and nine more incarnations of the Time Lord later, SFX is set to celebrate the anniversary of Doctor Who's launch in truly cosmic style.

2nd Source

Tom Baker Maybe Possibly Returning to Doctor Who

Posted at 11:28 AM Oct 14, 2008

All you Who-fans in Who-ville, listen up. Even though the next Doctor Who TV series isn't set to air until 2010, the casting rumors are going crazy. Now the Sun reports that Tom Baker, the fourth and still longest-tenured Doctor of the series, may be returning to the franchise, and maybe in the role of the Master, the renegade Time Lord, who has also been played by a bevy of British actors over Who's 45 year run. Seeing the most famous Doctor play Who's biggest nemesis should be cool, and is a pretty damned good idea. Oh, and even though a British newspaper has reported this, I'm not dismissing it out of hand. I fully believe the Sun knows significantly more of what's happening at the BBC than the super, secret casting meetings for Batman 3 that not even Chris Nolan seems to know about.

(Via Slice of Scifi - original source)

My one hope is that if Baker does do the role, someone, anyone asks him "What are you doing here?"

• 2 weeks later...
I don't trust that rumor. Russel T. Davies mentioned in an issue of Doctor Who Magazine that they wanted to do something for Children in Need this year, but they simply couldn't pull it all together in time.

yeah, that 7 Doctors thing isn't happening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/news/081024_news_02

This year's Children in Need Telethon is to feature an exclusive preview of the forthcoming Doctor Who Christmas Special.

The clip, from the Christmas Special entitled The Next Doctor, will show the first two minutes of a brand new episode for the Time Lord, played by David Tennant.

This never seen before footage, is a worldwide exclusive, and will keep fans all over the globe wondering what's in store for the Doctor's next adventure.

Starring David Tennant and David Morrissey, the clip from The Next Doctor will be broadcast as part of the BBC Children in Need show on 14 November, BBC One from 7pm.

well shit:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/oct/29/doctorwho-bbc

David Tennant has announced that he is vacating the Tardis and leaving the BBC's Doctor Who series at the end of next year.

Tennant's decision brings to an end his popular four-year tenure as the time lord.

The BBC confirmed that the Scottish actor will complete the filming of four special episodes to be screened this year and in early 2010, as well as 2009's Christmas special.

Tennant broke the news of his departure at the National Television Awards as he accepted the outstanding drama performance prize. He said: "When Doctor Who returns in 2010 it won't be with me. The 2009 shows will be my last playing the doctor.

"If I don't take a deep breath and move on now, I never will."

Speaking about his time on the show, Tennant added: "It has been the most brilliant and life-changing time. But it's not over yet, I have a whole other year to go.

"Thank you for being so enthusiastic about the show, for watching it, and loving it."

David Morrissey is playing a future version of the Doctor, in this year's Christmas special, and I've read rumors that Paterson Joseph is up for the role come 2010, so maybe one of them will be taking over for Tennant.

David Morrissey is playing a future version of the Doctor, in this year's Christmas special, and I've read rumors that Paterson Joseph is up for the role come 2010, so maybe one of them will be taking over for Tennant.

what with future wives and future regenerations of the doctor meeting the current doctor, they are just asking for continuity problems. Not that thats ever really bothered Doctor Who fans.