Wilco makes me want to steal cars.

Seriously. That commercial with the red convertible beetle and "Either Way" is weird. Who the hell thought that would be a good idea for a commercial? Or a positive association for the music? I've seen it 3 times in the past hour on TV, it's really starting to get into my subconcious!

It's a good thing I don't know how to drive (or hot wire a car)...or else I'd be committing grand theft auto every time I listen to Sky Blue Sky.

TG started this thread so I didn't have to. I have to say I have not been very bothered by this VW stuff up to this point and i know it isn't Wilco's decision on the content of these commercials and despite the sunny and postive twist in this commercial, it is still fairly lame. The car wasn't hot wired, so I guess the two lessons from this 1. don't leave your keys in the car and 2. if you do, hope the thief has good taste in music and a concience. Either way, this ad is creepy.....

LouieB

It's the only one of these Wilco/VW ads that I've seen that I really like at all. I think it's cute. The guy is some kind of smack head or something looking to make a quick buck on a stolen car but once he gets in there with the Wilco going and everything, he starts to soften up. When you get into the Wilco, the Wilco gets into you.

Seriously. That commercial with the red convertible beetle and "Either Way" is weird. Who the hell thought that would be a good idea for a commercial? Or a positive association for the music? I've seen it 3 times in the past hour on TV, it's really starting to get into my subconcious!

It's a good thing I don't know how to drive (or hot wire a car)...or else I'd be committing grand theft auto every time I listen to Sky Blue Sky.

I'm telling Jeff you hate Wilco.

Guest tandylacker

Yeah the Either Way ad and the ITTTIG ad are the only two that really make any sense to me. The music in the You Are My Face ad is way too loud and distracting. The Sky Blue Sky ad doesn't really even have any blue skies...

I appreciate the fact the Wilco music is becoming more accessible to the masses, but I think their use in these commercials seemed a little forced. But anyway, I love watching TV and every other commercial break hearing a Wilco song.

Also, if you actually watch the Either Way ad and think something more than, "Hey, that's kind of funny." Then you are taking this commercial way too seriously.

I had only seen the first 2: thanks i get and you are my face, until today. And if I feel like stealing a car and I start to hear wilco playing, doesn't that mean keep it up?

During the British Open they were plugging these hardcore. I'm still at the point where i'm just excited to hear wilco on the telebision. I gotta say all the ads are pretty harmless. The whole selling out argument seems ridiculous after actually seeing the ads.

Bravo. When do those toys start coming in happy meals?

I heard this one at work the other day, but my desk wasn't facing the television so I didn't see it. Anyway for the most part these commercials have been fairly nonsensical which is good for Volkswagen at the moment, because as you may remember earlier this year they did ran an ad (I think it was during the Super Bowl) with a person standing on a ledge of a building. The dude was going to jump off, but someone yelled out Volkswagen was having a sale and he stepped off the ledge. It wasn't very popular with the national suicide prevention agency, I can kind of see why. Apparently (and this might be fake) they were going to run this one on the air in Europe Banned VW Commercial. So I guess it could be a lot worse.

I just keep telling myself every time I see these that when I was fourteen and saw the one with "Pink Moon" in it, it inspired me check out Nick Drake and the rest is as they say history. If one kid out there sees one of these and says well the commercial is stupid, but I like the music I'm going to check it out, than it was worth it.

Also after reading TG's post I have decided what Wilco really needs is to get a spot on the next Grand Theft Auto soundtrack. Tony, you should totally get on that.

--Mike

Yknow someone tried to hotwire my car the other day but it was just sitting there with the wires hanging everywhere... maybe someone stole my car and heard wilco and was inspired to bring it back... or my crappy car didnt start... either way (pun intended)

funny side story, pulled over for expired plates the next night i had to explain why the wires were hanging out of my car and it looked ransacked... terrible experience that included a friend puking up red margarita mix everywhere. The trials of a designated driver.

terrible experience that included a friend puking up red margarita mix everywhere. The trials of a designated driver.

you can count on that smell lingering for a good, long while. :)

At least he's not driving a pickup truck out of a volcano with lava and flying rocks and explosions and american flags and stuff listening to wilco.

Wait a minute - THAT WOULD BE AWESOME

I've still only seen the two on Youtube...guess I don't watch much tv these days.

None of this really matters imho. If Wilco songs get played in elevators, does anyone get bent out of shape? TV matters about as much to me as that. Now if Wilco songs were being played at neo-nazi rallies, that would be cause for concern.

I haven't seen any of those ads, but maybe that's because I mostly watch CBC Newsworld. I guess I'm safe until they start playing Wilco songs in Canadian Tire commercials.

I haven't seen any of them either, but I have seen the AMC "What Light" ad a couple of times. Which, by the way, confused the hell out of me the first time I saw it. Was this agreed to at around the same time as the VW commercials?

All of this is pretty harmless I suppose and more of a warning that leaving your keys in an unlocked car is kind of stupid. But as someone who has had four cars stolen, I don't find car theft funny in any way. VW is really working hard on getting people to buy their cars if they think that their cars are so cool that it will make a thief decide to take a car back just because people dig them so much.

LouieB

During the British Open they were plugging these hardcore.

The British Open was about as exciting as golf can be on TV, which ain't saying much I know, but i found myself looking forward to the commercial breaks to get another 30 seconds of that sweet Wilco juice for my soul. Even if it was the same commercial I saw 30 munutes earlier. Didn't matter, it was just as sweet the second and third and fourth time.

The end result of watching all these Wilco commercials was the wife and I deciding we would look at VW's when it comes time to get a new car. So there you go. Wilco makes me want to buy cars.

The British Open was about as exciting as golf can be on TV, which ain't saying much I know, but i found myself looking forward to the commercial breaks to get another 30 seconds of that sweet Wilco juice for my soul. Even if it was the same commercial I saw 30 munutes earlier. Didn't matter, it was just as sweet the second and third and fourth time.

The end result of watching all these Wilco commercials was the wife and I deciding we would look at VW's when it comes time to get a new car. So there you go. Wilco makes me want to buy cars.

So these ads DO work....glad you are deciding not to steal one. This particular ad does seem to have more music than the others I have seen. You may want to consult Consumer Reports prior to buying a new car rather than trusting your favorite rock group.

LouieB

It's the only one of these Wilco/VW ads that I've seen that I really like at all. I think it's cute. The guy is some kind of smack head or something looking to make a quick buck on a stolen car but once he gets in there with the Wilco going and everything, he starts to soften up. When you get into the Wilco, the Wilco gets into you.

He's not a smackhead: probably prescription painkillers.