At the risk of bringing the Wrath of Analogman (WOA) on me (dude, I searched for a thread on this, I SWEAR!), and in keeping with the many other "where do I start with [iNSERT BAND NAME]" threads floating around out there, I was hoping someone could point me in a good direction on Sonic Youth.

Dont know anything by them, but I suppose that I keep hearing Daydream Nation is their best... Is that right? Where should a newbie start? Which albums was O'Rourke on? Etc.

Gracias.

Daydream Nation is good. It's considered "quintessential" by most sources, for what it's worth. Plus it's a double album, so you get your bucks worth. For some reason though, I'd probably put Goo slightly above it. It may not be the "avante punk no-wave masterpiece" that DN is, but pound for pound, it's got some of my favorite shit on it. Of the O'Rourke albums, I like Sonic Nurse the best. Rather Ripped, man all you can say is it's rather good!

I'd start with Daydream Nation. Then buy Goo and Sister at the same time. Then Dirty and Evol, and work your way backwards and forwards simultaneously at increasing intervals. :thumbup

I would start by getting Sonic Nurse and Daydream Nation. That will give you a good feel for their catalog. Daydream Nation is an essential album to have, but I'm also really partial to their recent albums (some people don't like them quite as much) I think Sonic Nurse and Murray Street are great, and Rather Ripped decent--though not as great as their other work.

Haha, I guess I should have known that asking for suggestions would yield a ton of different opinions... :D

Thanks to everyone for weighing in. I think I will pick up Daydream Nation given its quintessential status, and either Goo or Sonic Nurse (given my O'Rourke love).

Haha, I guess I should have known that asking for suggestions would yield a ton of different opinions... :D

Thanks to everyone for weighing in. I think I will pick up Daydream Nation given its quintessential status, and either Goo or Sonic Nurse (given my O'Rourke love).

Those three would be great to start with. Great band.

My humble advice: start with Daydream Nation and Goo. If you prefer DN, work your way chronologically backwards. If you prefer, Goo, work your way chronologically forward.

For what it's worth, Dirty (the one right after Goo) is my favorite SY album, but I bet I'm in the minority!

my favorite band! :pirate

SYR3: Invito Al Ĉielo

Murray Street

Sonic Nurse

Daydream Nation is a great place to start.

full discography with Jim:

1997 SYR3: Invito Al Cielo

1999 SYR4: Goodbye 20th Century

2000 NYC Ghosts & Flowers

2000 Lightnin' (Black Box Release)

2002 Murray Street

2002 Kali Yug Express

2002 Terrastock 5: Sweet Emotion

2002 Demonlover OST

2002 In The Fishtank 9

2003 Buddy Series #1

2004 Sonic Nurse

2004 Hidros 3

2006 SYR6: Koncertas Stan Brakhage Prisiminimui

ive only recently started getting into them i have sonic nurse and dirty both great but i like Sonic Nurse more, the guitar playings fantastic and perhaps a little more refined then usual, which in my opinion can be more effective though i might get shot down for saying that

where should i go next??

think i might get washing machine after i heard 'The Diamond Sea', just stunning

also..am i the only one who secretly wishes Kim didnt sing??

ive only recently started getting into them i have sonic nurse and dirty both great but i like Sonic Nurse more, the guitar playings fantastic and perhaps a little more refined then usual, which in my opinion can be more effective though i might get shot down for saying that

where should i go next??

think i might get washing machine after i heard 'The Diamond Sea', just stunning

also..am i the only one who secretly wishes Kim didnt sing??

Eh she can bug sometimes but she has some alright moments. Washing Machine is a good one. I'd get that. Try A Thousand Leaves too that one is the best.

I would start with Sister and Daydream Nation. These were the two records where the band really honed their sound. They were able to incorporate the noisier elements of their earlier records into more structured songs. If you like those two, move forward to Goo and Dirty and buy everything else.

EDIT: I would throw EVOL in with Sister and DN as well for the reasons stated above.