Best and worst venues you've seen Wilco play

best: tie:

2002-08-01 Hideout, Chicago.

2002-04-06 Martyrs, Chicago.

2001-09-15 Abbey Pub, Chicago (this one is commemorated in a John written setlist on my wall next to me. a few days after a particular day that was kinda rough on the world, and holy shit... he wrote those lyrics about it, no??)

Worst:

Audtiorium Theatre. Anytime.

(A little spoiled after those listed above).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst: Memphis in May Festival back in '02 or '03 (I think)

This really was the worst. Its not really a "venue" so I didn't put it down but this was just so painful. Wilco should NEVER go on a stage before John Mayer. I couldn't even count the number of pink leopard print cowboy hats in the crowd that night.

Best - Lolla - 50,000 person homecoming with the skyline in the background.

Worst - Elliot Hall of Music Purdue - Just a depressing, half filled place with no energy or excitement made worse by the fact that Jeff's mom had just passed away and it was the first show after the lovefest that was lollapalooza.

Best: It's too hard to choose, but to name two - the Val Air Ballroom in Des Moines, before they switched everything around, was pretty great.

i was thinking the exact same thing; therefore, i actually would say that the val air is my vote for the best and the worst. (and i've heard, for some reason unknown to me, that they're still using the lame-o set up.)

• 3 weeks later...
Best,The Cotillion and The Blue Note

Worst,The Pageant

I agree with the Blue Note; absolutely love that place. Gotta disagree about the Pageant, though. I thought their 3/06 show there was excellent. It was one of the few times I've been to the Pageant when people actually seemed to care about the fact that there was music being played. It's usually too full of drunken yappers for my liking.

My worst: St. Vincent College in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, 10/06. It was a small gym. Wilco plays the prom! The acoustics were about as good as you'd would expect from a large room that smells like socks.

Even weirder, after hiking all the way up a huge hill in the rain from the parking lot, we were told that purses and bags weren't allowed inside. I've never heard of such a thing. One member of our group was nice enough to run all the purses back to the car while we held a spot in line. As my friend said to the security guard/hall monitor: "What if I have my period? Do I need to tuck a spare tampon behind my ear for later?"

Once we were in the building, the first thing I did? Bought a Wilco tote bag, just for spite.

It was really obvious that this isn't a place that gets many shows, if any, and the school had no clue how to run it.

Worst by far is the Tower City Amphitheater in Cleveland (6-03). Basically a big tent over a parking lot. Not worth linking to.

They played there? Christ, just reading that sentence made me cringe.

Didn't they play the House of Blues the second time around in like '06 or late '05? I totally passed that because that's probably one of the worst indoor venues here. I once saw Ernie Krivda's Fat Tuesday Big Band play there, and the horns sounded totally flat somehow.

Worst: Lupo's in Providence Rhode Island. Great show though. Way too crowded with a low stage on one side of a really long room. If you've seen show's in Providence The Strand would have been perfect in its day.

Best: Irvin Plaza, NYC.

Honorable Mention Best: Bowery Ballroom, NYC B)