Best and worst venues you've seen Wilco play

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best: Paradiso in Amsterdam, NL (2005 and 2007)

Worst: Bospop Festival in Weert, NL (June 2004). Basically a heavy metal-festival with a crapload of shitty local bands. Patti Smith and Wilco weren't even mentioned on the festival bill. Great gig though.

best: Graffiti, Pittsburgh, PA 6/7/1995 not that good of a show, but this was hands down the best concert venue in Pittsburgh. I don't even live there anymore, but I'm still pissed that Graffiti was forced out of business so that some rich asshole could have a place to show off his fancy cars.

worst: Eagle's Ballroom, Milwaukee, WI 8/2/2004 just a horrible place. horrible sound, horrible security, no sense of organization at all. I hope it burns down.

worst: Eagle's Ballroom, Milwaukee, WI 8/2/2004 just a horrible place. horrible sound, horrible security, no sense of organization at all. I hope it burns down.

:lol

Best: any of the numerous First Ave shows from '99 to '01

Worst: not the biggest fan of them at the Auditorium either honestly... only saw them at Eagles once but it wasn't THAT bad... then again at GA shows i hang out by the soundboard where it sounds pretty good no matter what venue. honestly i've been to MUCH worse venues than Eagles Ballroom (Roy Wilkins Auditorium here for one, the Aragon isn't much better)

best: the mercury! it has the best sound in austin, hands down. i love that place! i've seen some amazinig shows at that venue.

worst: lonestar pavilion at sunset station in san antonio. i hated it.

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly did you hate about the venue? If anything, I would imagine the parking area and overall set-up? The sound was actually quite satisfactory, despite a lot of negative reviews regarding the sound set-up.

Least favorite: Auditorium

Awww..... that's a cheap shot, even with the disclaimer!!

Best and Worst for Wilco/Tweedy shows:

Best:

TIE: Auditorium Theater is the finest in the Midwest for acoustics, IMO...

TIE: Pabst in Milwaukee was another beautiful venue with spectacular sound (or perhaps it was Jeff being an overachiever)

Worst:

Hands down... Davis Park, Rockford, IL... On The Waterfront Festival Grounds.

Also a not-so-good venue for sound where I have seen Wilco... Otto's in DeKalb.

Didn't matter, it was still an awesome show. Jeff's first out of treatment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best/Worst of ALL TIME:

Best: Still going w. Auditorium and Pabst....

Also adding Coronado in Rockford, IL and First Ave in Minneapolis (for the vibe, if nothing else)

I saw Mike Watt in the 7th St. Entry side, and I have seen Catherine Wheel and others in the main room.

Worst:

I am not going to pile on and say Rave/Eagles Ballroom... although that big room definitely has issues!!

I saw Bob Mould ROCK that room.... so therefore it has a little bit of a positive connotation in my mind.

I am going out on a limb and say the god damn World/Tweeter/Whatever-freaking-bank Ampitheater in Tinley.

I have seen many shows there over the years, and they all had horrible acoustics no matter WHERE you sit.

Straight ahead of the stage within the first 1/2 of the seats is the only place where you can even comprehend the sound w/out the bizarre reflections off that roof...

I remember one of the years that the Q101 Jamboree was there with Soul Asylum and Foo Fighters.

Soul Asylum sounded pretty good, but EVERY other band (including the Foos, who were headlining) sounded like ass.

I saw Soul Asylum a couple months later at Metro, and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen...

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly did you hate about the venue? If anything, I would imagine the parking area and overall set-up? The sound was actually quite satisfactory, despite a lot of negative reviews regarding the sound set-up.

the show and the sound were fine but i hated pretty much everything about the venue. it was like seeing wilco in a mall, even though it was "outdoors". the bathroom location was ridiculous, the parking sucked, the general aesthetics didn't appeal to me at all. i highly doubt that i'll ever return that venue again.

the show and the sound were fine but i hated pretty much everything about the venue. it was like seeing wilco in a mall, even though it was "outdoors". the bathroom location was ridiculous, the parking sucked, the general aesthetics didn't appeal to me at all. i highly doubt that i'll ever return that venue again.

I thought the "mall" aspect worked to my advantage in some aspects though. The people who show up to concerts to talk had ample open area to do so, and didn't bother those of us who were nearer the stage. I also liked that I could run out and get a breath of fresh air every once in awhile.

It was kind of a crazy scene for that type of concert, though. Since we cabbed it I didn't have to mess with the parking either. I could take it or leave it as a venue...

I'm curious to see what the palladium in Dallas is going to be like. Never seen a show there

best: although i'm sure i will say Pritzger pavillion after 9/12, but now it remains the Vic, close secind to the Auditorium, although i saw a very average show there a few years back, the 11/24 show was great and the sound was impeccable. :worship

worst: World Theater in Tinley (Farm Aid 98') or Lolla, both festies and wilco isn't a festie band :realmad