New Ryan Adams EP & more info on boxset...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dig the EP a lot. RyAd's really recovered from his disappointing early/mid-2000s stumble, in my opinion. Almost everything he's put out since Cold Roses has been excellent. I think the title track, Blue Hotel, the AiC cover and the new recordings of This Is It and If I Am a Stranger are great.

The chain mail vest thing is pretty funny.

The EP is ok, I guess. I don't love any of the songs. I suppose I like My Love For You is Real, Blue Hotel, and this version of Dear John. And the acoustic This Is It is probably (a little bit) better than the electric. The other few tunes are kinda hit or miss at best.

• 2 weeks later...

$4.99 (opening week at least) for a 7 track physical cd is a great deal.

i wish more people would do this.

i like the AiC cover. it's been so long since i heard the original though.

i hope the boxset is just the 5 unreleased albums.

if they want to make some compilation, they need to do a seperate "Best of."

otherwise, it's just an f.u. to the fans.

• 4 months later...
It's been nine months since Ryan Adams put out a new album -- an eternity in RA-Years. I checked in with his publicist this morning regarding the delayed release of the long-awaited box set, a collection that could include such fan-loved rarities as the Suicide Handbook and 48 Hours sessions in addition to newer material like the tracks the alt-country songwriter recorded for the Elizabethtown soundtrack. Unfortunately, the status of the set, which was initially announced for a fall 2007 release, is "mostly fantasy, I'm afraid."

Post from a blog - found on ryan adams archive

Will someone explain to me why a label would not want to have a new product to sell for an artist who sells out 2000-seat venues? I just don't understand that. :dontgetit

So if it is just fantasy, that statement leaves me wondering just what is the reality on releasing any of his older works? Why wouldn't a label give us something to look forward to?

Will someone explain to me why a label would not want to have a new product to sell for an artist who sells out 2000-seat venues? I just don't understand that. :dontgetit

So if it is just fantasy, that statement leaves me wondering just what is the reality on releasing any of his older works? Why wouldn't a label give us something to look forward to?

I suppose we are lucky that all of that stuff is out there to grab from various BT sites - I have a good bit of it, but not all.

I suppose we are lucky that all of that stuff is out there to grab from various BT sites - I have a good bit of it, but not all.

Agreed. Of all artists out there, I would think Ryan Adams is one that we can do without a box set on. The guy releases everything but his humming in the shower.

Agreed. Of all artists out there, I would think Ryan Adams is one that we can do without a box set on. The guy releases everything but his humming in the shower.

If it does come out - I would think the tracks would disappear from places such as dime a dozen. This has happened with the Black Crowes unreleased studio tracks now - as they plan to sell them online at some point - through the live show archive site they recently set-up. I am torn between this sort of stuff being out there for free and the better sound and packaging that (hopefully) would come with an official release.

yeah, it makes no sense. they spent the money on the various sessions and they're just collecting dust. the only cost would be manufacturing them. i doubt hardly any promotion would need to be done since just about every music magazine would love a RA interview every time he releases something.

remember, in 2006, RA didn't release a single thing.

he released 3 albums in 2005 (when i really got into him) and then a year and a half past before another release. then just the ep. well, there was all that 'joke' stuff on his website.