Tasered Student

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was dragged off because he wasn't asking questions. He was shouting at a senator. He was making a scene. He had no intention of letting Kerry speak.

And yet Kerry requested that the police allow him to finish his question. They should have honored that request.

I

I'm sure in a forum like this, there are certain rules of engagement and decorum put in place so everybody has a chance to both ask a question AND get it answered. Rifling off numerous questions and giving the speaker no time to answer, nor allowing other people to come up to the podium and ask their questions while you take up so much time...makes this nothing to do w/ free speech or rights, because he started putting his rights in front of everybody else's.

you really think he got hauled off and tazered just for asking a question?! you go back and watch it, if your view is that asking kerry about what frat he was in during college is a 'pretty serious, uncomfortable question' that benefits anybody...you need to check your head.

A similar incident happened at a John McCain forum during the 2000 elections

I've already stated that I think the heat could have asked him nicely to step away before cutting off the mic and putting their hands on him ("UNHAND ME!" could have been a good catch-phrase, too) but this doesn't sway me from the belief that tasering, in general, should be more prevalent in our society.

Not just by the cops, either. I think it would be a great deterrent in schools, too.

I've already stated that I think the heat could have asked him nicely to step away before cutting off the mic and putting their hands on him ("UNHAND ME!" could have been a good catch-phrase, too) but this doesn't sway me from the belief that tasering, in general, should be more prevalent in our society.

Not just by the cops, either. I think it would be a great deterrent in schools, too.

it's a good way to wake someone up, too.

okay, this guy...while an obvious douchebag...is not mentally ill. also, i have no idea if you've watched the video of what happened prior up to him getting hauled off, but watch
and tell me this guy was 'just asking a question' or that 'security rushed in mid-question'.

The bottom-line for me is this

I think tasers are meant not specifically to take someone down, but to make someone comply that isn't complying with requests. It's hard not to comply when you're flappin' around like a fish on nitrous.

I'll submit that they're relatively harmless in comparison to other uses of force deemed for suspects not willing to follow simple instructions.

Point: taser.

You really like making completely illogical jumps that don't make any sense, huh? If a guy gets tased for being a douchebag and not listening to the cops at a John Kerry rally, nobody is ever going to vote again. If Wilco has a song in a VW commercial, they support nazis and hate the environment.

Ironic considering your response is an illogical leap.

Is it so hard to imagine that someone may think twice before asking an uncomfortable question of a politician in a public setting after watching this video

no, it would a tremendous stretch. he was tazered by campus cops...not secret service, government officials or kerry himself. you keep making this about who he was interacting with versus how he was interacting. you seem to continue to focus just on how it affected kerry and not how the whole thing was disruptive and disrepsctful to those in attendance.

he wouldn't let them finish 'taking him down' when he was on the ground...he would not let them finish cuffing him. don't you think that anybody physically resisting arrest like did, should be viewed as a little more of a threat than someone who just walks waway when he's told to?!

you keep making this about who he was interacting with versus how he was interacting. you seem to continue to focus just on how it affected kerry and not how the whole thing was disruptive and disrepsctful to those in attendance.

Sometimes people act irrationally when they have five people holding them down against their will

There isn't more of an anti-war movement because there's no draft and we're too comfy playing video games and watching "reality" TV... and doing stupid stunts to get onto YouTube/CNN/FoxNews by trying like hell to get your ass tasered at a political speech.

When we're all enraged about OJ, Brittney and Kid Nation there's no outrage left for the most ridiculous and absurd situation we've ever gotten ourselves into and now have no good way out of.

I