It not that it was set-up, but rather the music re-recorded in the studio. But - that is not secret - most live albums/film soundtracks were fixed up in the studio back then. I suppose they still are. I just don't think anything they did compares to the first two albums they made. One problem they had was - they were one silent guy and three junkies against one egomaniac - not a good mix.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It not that it was set-up, but rather the music re-recorded in the studio. But - that is not secret - most live albums/film soundtracks were fixed up in the studio back then. I suppose they still are. I just don't think anything they did compares to the first two albums they made. One problem they had was - they were one silent guy and three junkies against one egomaniac - not a good mix.

Exactly.... :lol :lol great minds think alike. I was just taking a shower thinking the same thing. Clearly Robbie had at least a vision for a pretty cool way to go out and he and Marty made one of the best concert movies ever, but you don't get that without alot of planning, post production and leadership. The road has taken the best of them, to quote the movie and even though Manuel and Danko had some good years ahead of them, neither was completely prepared for the break-up of the group.

It is sad that The Band made two of the all time great records and then began to deteriorate. They had a fairly short tenure at the top of their game; half a decade at best. Big Pink was released in 68 and Rock of Ages was recorded in 71, after the Band had already put out the The Band, Stage Fright and Cahoots. It could have all ended then, but they managed to make it through 5 more years until the Last Waltz. Most of the bands we all like now have far longer careers than that.

Perhaps my feeling about Before the Flood is colored by the fact that I saw the Band on that tour, it was the only time I saw them and it was a transendant experience to be sure.

edit- not only are concert soundtracks fixed in the studio, ALL recordings are fixed in the studio, with tools many of you know more about than I do. For singers who can't stay on tune, they tune them up, or take out one bad key on the piano, etc. etc. For music made truly live anymore you need to visit music made at least 50 years ago. From here on out, it is going to doctored.

LouieB

It is sad that The Band made two of the all time great records and then began to deteriorate. They had a fairly short tenure at the top of their game; half a decade at best. Big Pink was released in 68 and Rock of Ages was recorded in 71, after the Band had already put out the The Band, Stage Fright and Cahoots. It could have all ended then, but they managed to make it through 5 more years until the Last Waltz. Most of the bands we all like now have far longer careers than that.

But don't forget the 8 previous years as The Hawks....

But don't forget the 8 previous years as The Hawks....

I haven't forgetten those at all, but they were not yet "The Band". Levon was an unhappy camper during some of those years also, staying home while the Hawks went on to make musical history with Dylan. Go figure.....

As to the Robbie stole all the songs argument...the other band members got writing credit on Big Pink, The Band, Stage Fright, Cahoots, and Islands. Which songs did he steal, since I haven't read the book.

LouieB

• 3 weeks later...
Levon

I picked this link up off of expectingrain. Kind of sad to hear his voice as it now is, but I'm just glad he made it through.

He's going to be on CBS Sunday Morning tomorrow at 9:00.

One more reason not to smoke...

LouieB

What was sad for me was hearing Levon five or six years ago, when he could barely croak out a whisper. Every time I hear him talk, or especially, sing, these days, I think it's nothing short of miraculous. Check out Dirt Farmer if you haven't yet. I'm a big Band fanboy, but hearing that voice singing such rootsy songs damned near brought me to tears multiple times. All things considered, he sounds absolutely fantastic.

http://levonhelm.com/dfm/Single_Girl_Edit_31sec.mp3

• 11 months later...

I haven't reread this entire thread and I'm sure it's covered in here somewhere, But "It Makes No Difference," may be the most haunting, chilling vocal performance I've ever heard. I can put it on at virtually anytime and start to tear up. The "stampeding cattle" line just destroys me. I'm getting emotional right now just thinking about it. One of my top 5 favorites of all time!

• 3 months later...
Ew, really? I'd like to think way more people are aware of Levon Helm than that song...
Actually Levon was a huge hit for Elton, maybe more are aware of Helm here, but not in the general public. It plays on classic rock stations all the time.

LouieB

I haven't reread this entire thread and I'm sure it's covered in here somewhere, But "It Makes No Difference," may be the most haunting, chilling vocal performance I've ever heard. I can put it on at virtually anytime and start to tear up. The "stampeding cattle" line just destroys me. I'm getting emotional right now just thinking about it. One of my top 5 favorites of all time!

agree about makes no difference & danko ... just a devastating vocal and brilliant song ... an all-time favorite of mine

i always thought the stampeding cattle line was really interesting in that it has nothing to do with anything else in the song, it just sets the song somewhere in the distant past

an odd device but it works beautifully & really gives the song a timeless quality

51YTDZK9KWL._SL500_.jpg

Just finished this today. He certainly lays the blame of the break-up square on Robertson. Seems to say that Robbie was stealing almost every writing credit. Especially on "The Band". Decent read.

That's a damn fun book, though I take his rage toward Robbie with a grain a salt, simply because it's one side of the story. I know others will back Levon, but who the hell knows. I think he was pissed at Robbie for going Hollywood and breaking up the band, and that bled over into all his memories of their relationship.

The first half of that book is an all-out blast, though.