• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be a week for tripping down Levon's past. I just watched "Coal Miner's Daughter," for the first time in probably a decade this week and though a limited role, he is quite good as Loretta's father. You get the impression that the role wasn't a stretch for him to latch onto. That had things played out differently that he could've easily been that man. Pretty damn good music biopic as well. I think it far outshines the recent ones on Ray Charles and Johnny Cash, though I like both of those in their own right. "Honeysuckle Rose," is still me favorite of all though.

• 8 months later...

The alarm went off this morning to the tune of 'Ophelia' on the radio.

After a couple of seconds, I hit snooze and turned over.

Then she moaned 'That song was horrible.'

Now that just gave my heart a fall,

To the bottom of my feet.

Amen to that.

I'll second that. The bit where he sings 'I've never felt so alone before' makes me cry. The bit in the movie where Rick's in the control booth with Scorsese is also really poinant. What is the song Rick is playing to Martin in the scene?

I'll second that. The bit where he sings 'I've never felt so alone before' makes me cry. The bit in the movie where Rick's in the control booth with Scorsese is also really poinant. What is the song Rick is playing to Martin in the scene?

Scorsese, who also appears in the shot, asks Danko what’s next for him, “now that The Last Waltz is over.” Danko, looking worse for wear, makes a vague, if heartfelt – or intoxicated – attempt at a reply. “Just making music, you know? …Trying to stay busy, man.” During that time he cues “Eddie” to roll the track, “Sip the Wine,” slated for inclusion on his forthcoming album.

http://www.jezebelmusic.com/1706/rick-danko-%E2%80%9Csip-the-wine%E2%80%9D/

Speaking of the Band, I thought it was pretty cool that Jimmy, Jack, and Edge chose "The Weight" to jam on at the end of the movie. What a gas hearing them all (even Jimmy) harmonizing on that.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up the Four Disk box set of the Last Waltz from Amazon.co.uk for £11. That is some bargain. Not sure if it was a mistake on their behalf but I'm loving it. There are some great tracks that never made it onto the original two-disk set. Even bearing in mind the overdubs and re-doing, its still one hell of a show. Loving 'Van The Man' belting out 'caravan' and, as everyone always mentions, Rick Danko's heartbreaking 'It Makes No Difference'. There is a nice version of 'Four Strong Winds' on disk three. Its a lovely package, especially for that price. I would also recommend the six-disc retrospective that came out two or three years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Robbie, Levon and Garth have reconciled and will be playing a show as 'The Band' soon. Not sure what I think about this but here's the link.

http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/multidisciplinary/2009/oct/24/breaking-levon-helm-robbie-robertson-end-feud-will/

So, they're playing in the basement of the Alamo? That'll surely be a big adventure.

Looks like Robbie, Levon and Garth have reconciled and will be playing a show as 'The Band' soon. Not sure what I think about this but here's the link.

http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/multidisciplinary/2009/oct/24/breaking-levon-helm-robbie-robertson-end-feud-will/

it's a hoax.

I just think it would be cool, the idea of Levon & Robbie talking things over.

Yeah, for some odd reason, I think that would make me happy too. But musically, I dont care about a reunion without Rick/Richard. That's what I meant.

• 1 year later...

Rocker Robbie Robertson set to write memoirs

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/08/music-robbierobertson-idUSN0712529420110308

Not sure why he'd announce this so prematurely after struggling to write it for years, other than to help promote his new album. But it will be interesting to get his perspective after Levon's and Barney Hoskyns' "Across the Great Divide." Robbie says this in the article about Hoskyns' book:

>One book he has read, or at least the first 30 pages of it, was British author Barney Hoskyns' 1993 biography about The Band, "Across The Great Divide." Robertson said he was too busy at the time to guide Hoskyns, and when he finally got around to cracking open the tome he discovered it was "very imaginative and random, and it wasn't what happened at all."