my grandfather was actully lucky enough to see these guys quite a few times when they wer still the hawks with ronnie up front. He said they used to be regulars at some bar he frequented

:omg Damn man now that's some cool shit!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my grandfather was actully lucky enough to see these guys quite a few times when they wer still the hawks with ronnie up front. He said they used to be regulars at some bar he frequented

To me, that is one of the most amazing things about them - thier music was not like what they played with him, or with Dylan. There are some very good liner notes in the re-issues - I have them all.

The Band are easily one of the greatest groups of all time...here are some random thoughts...

I have my doubts that Robbie really wrote all of those tunes by himself...

"It Makes No Difference" : one of the greatest ballads ever.

I got to open for Danko not too long before he passed. It was one of the saddest nights of my life, seeing one of my heroes in such bad shape...I have a song on my latest CD called "Walk on Water" that i wrote not too long after he died. I did see The Band (w/ Danko, Helm, Hudson, Bell, Weider) in Central Park the night before Garcia died and they kicked ass. Danko was so railed up on coke! And I jammed with Levon (drums only) at a private party (for Buddy Cage of The New Riders and "Blood on the Tracks" fame) in 2001. Took a couple hits of the J w/ him as well that day. And yes, he's even cooler than he seems.

Rock of Ages is a great live album.

That tribute album sucked big time. My Morning Jacket was the highlight by far. I wondered if any of those people had even heard the Band before they recorded thier tunes. Gomez killed "Cripple Creek"...awful. And Death Cab for Cutie (who I don't like that much anyway) doing "Rocking Chair" w/o any harmonies...blasphemy!!!

My vote for the band most like The Band...Los Lobos (rootsy, experimental, accordians, saxophones, multiple singers, etc.)

And if I remember correctly, they did go back and clean up some recording from the Last Waltz, but it was just some out of tune bass here and there, a few harmonies and thats about it. Defintely not to the scale of Kiss Alive!

My band does a pretty pumpin cover of "Shape I'm In"

I named my Fantasy Football team The Honkeys in tribute to the late great Richard Manuel talking about naming The Band in "The Last Waltz", the greatest rock and roll movie ever!

Defintely going to one of Levon's Midnight Rambles as soon as I can afford the pricey ticket!

Defintely going to one of Levon's Midnight Rambles as soon as I can afford the pricey ticket!

+1 here. I keep checking to see if Jeff gets an invite to play down there....y'never know.

Great post Mike..thanks. :thumbup

My vote for the band most like The Band...Los Lobos (rootsy, experimental, accordians, saxophones, multiple singers, etc.)

Y'know, you just might be right about this. I think an album of Los Lobos covering The Band's songs wouldn't suck (not that it would ever happen).

I am sort of weird about the Band. I do like them (particularly the first two albums) and I love Dylan, but somehow the stuff they did together (Basement Tapes, Before the Flood) has never done it for me. I know I am in the minority here - and it has really been years since I have listened to either one - so maybe I need to give them another try.

I am sort of weird about the Band. I do like them (particularly the first two albums) and I love Dylan, but somehow the stuff they did together (Basement Tapes, Before the Flood) has never done it for me. I know I am in the minority here - and it has really been years since I have listened to either one - so maybe I need to give them another try.

So we're like opposites and stuff - a regular MC Skat Kat and Paula Abdul.

You won't find a bigger Band fan than me, but I'd just like to go on record as saying that I think MMJ's version of It Makes No Difference crushes Rick's completely. It explodes out of the gate and it doesn't let up 'til the last note. And Jim sings it better than he sings his own songs, to boot. It's sort of rote, I guess, but the song is so damned good that nothing matters aside from the fact that it's wonderfully performed. My favourite cover of the last several years, bar none, and the only good song on that Band tribute disc.

You won't find a bigger Band fan than me, but I'd just like to go on record as saying that I think MMJ's version of It Makes No Difference crushes Rick's completely. It explodes out of the gate and it doesn't let up 'til the last note. And Jim sings it better than he sings his own songs, to boot. It's sort of rote, I guess, but the song is so damned good that nothing matters aside from the fact that it's wonderfully performed. My favourite cover of the last several years, bar none, and the only good song on that Band tribute disc.

We're just going to have to wildly disagree on this.

Although I love the basement tapes and live 66; i have to agree before the flood is awful.

I own every dylan studio release and had never herd this live one until recently and ouch did that hurt these ears.

I don't recall. I think he said something about Chest Fever - and how only Robbie's name was on it - but Garth wrote it or some such deal.
Well clearly Robbie didn't write Chest Fever...

Before the Flood is getting bashed here unfairly. I saw night two of this tour and the Band was fantastic. While the album cuts are not as good as I remember them being, they really aren't that bad and show alot more fire than the very sedate Rock of Ages.

LouieB