• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

geez, first i heard this,

feels like a kick to the gut.

I had the same feeling. Can't put my finger directly on why the feeling is so strong. Love his music from The Band to now, but I am thinking it is more than that. I guess when you see him play, you see a window into humanity that you might not see very often. He is so full of joy on stage.

I had the same feeling. Can't put my finger directly on why the feeling is so strong. Love his music from The Band to now, but I am thinking it is more than that. I guess when you see him play, you see a window into humanity that you might not see very often. He is so full of joy on stage.

Wife and I saw him last year, touring with John Hiatt. Wife is a big Hiatt fan; me, I respect him.

She was really into Hiatt's set, but Levon left her near speechless.

I told her, "That is the difference between a craftsman and an artist."

I'm not overstating when I say that The Band was really the soundtrack of my youth. It was my go-to music when I just wanted to hear something that would always make me feel good. (Much the same place that Wilco occupies for me now.) That's why it was like a dream come true to have Levon at last year's Solid Sound--I can hardly remember being as moved as I was to just watch that joyful grin on his face as they played their glorious set. I thought Robbie was the sexy one but it was Levon's voice and drumming that were the heart and soul of the band.

My favorite song was always "Up On Cripple Creek" because I wanted to BE Bessie! And my mother came from a little town in southwest Virginia called Cripple Creek (no resemblence to the Cripple Creek in the song, but still).

At a Drive-By Truckers concert I went to last night, they were playing Band music between the opening act and the main set, and I honestly just felt like a stab to the heart when I listened to those songs. I can't think of a recent death that has hit me this hard.

RIP, Levon. He had such a gallant, indomitable spirit.

Going to one of Levon's Midnight Rambles is one of the musical highlights of my life. A truly amazing experience.

Seeing him perform with Wilco at Solid Sound last year was pretty awesome too.

There is something so special about Levon. He'll be deeply missed.