I like The Band and I like Robbie (although I think he is kind of an ass...), but I would have to have little else to read before I would trust his take on the story of The Band.

LouieB

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fab Four will always be number one in my books. I'm afraid if I say a band is better I'll spontaneously combust.

Yep.

Rick Danko is a big influence on my bass playing. Not quite as ballsy as John Paul Jones, as flashy as John Entwistle, or as overtly melodic as Paul McCartney, but he deserves mention along with those titans. Silky smooth phrasing, oozing with soul, and deceptively funky. Danko brought it.

And despite being a massive prick, I think Robbie Robertson's bluesy slop-gnarl guitar style is absolutely awesome.

All the personal crap aside, Robertson is an incredible songwriter and musician, and really an all around great artist. Rick's bassplaying is second only to Paul McCartney in terms of influential on me. Both were masters at their craft, and could sing the hell out of the song too. It's sad that he isn't mentioned more in conversations about the greatest bassplayers.

The Band are easily one of the greatest groups of all time...here are some random thoughts...

I have my doubts that Robbie really wrote all of those tunes by himself...

"It Makes No Difference" : one of the greatest ballads ever.

I got to open for Danko not too long before he passed. It was one of the saddest nights of my life, seeing one of my heroes in such bad shape...I have a song on my latest CD called "Walk on Water" that i wrote not too long after he died. I did see The Band (w/ Danko, Helm, Hudson, Bell, Weider) in Central Park the night before Garcia died and they kicked ass. Danko was so railed up on coke! And I jammed with Levon (drums only) at a private party (for Buddy Cage of The New Riders and "Blood on the Tracks" fame) in 2001. Took a couple hits of the J w/ him as well that day. And yes, he's even cooler than he seems.

Rock of Ages is a great live album.

That tribute album sucked big time. My Morning Jacket was the highlight by far. I wondered if any of those people had even heard the Band before they recorded thier tunes. Gomez killed "Cripple Creek"...awful. And Death Cab for Cutie (who I don't like that much anyway) doing "Rocking Chair" w/o any harmonies...blasphemy!!!

My vote for the band most like The Band...Los Lobos (rootsy, experimental, accordians, saxophones, multiple singers, etc.)

And if I remember correctly, they did go back and clean up some recording from the Last Waltz, but it was just some out of tune bass here and there, a few harmonies and thats about it. Defintely not to the scale of Kiss Alive!

My band does a pretty pumpin cover of "Shape I'm In"

I named my Fantasy Football team The Honkeys in tribute to the late great Richard Manuel talking about naming The Band in "The Last Waltz", the greatest rock and roll movie ever!

Defintely going to one of Levon's Midnight Rambles as soon as I can afford the pricey ticket!

I agree with pretty much everything you just said. The tribute album was horrible but MMJ did an excellent job. One of my friends named his Fantasy Team "the Fighting Levons" after the Band, and I once was in a group called Marshmallow Overcoat, after Richard's little speech in the LW. If you haven't been to a ramble, GO. I've been twice and it's been incredible. The feeling in the room was like a religious experience, if there was such a thing as a religious experience, haha.

The Band will always be my second favorite band of all time, and I'm happy to see that there are a few of us on this board. Robbie Robertson has a new album coming out next month, and I'm curious to see how he's progressed. Anyone else?

The Band will always be my second favorite band of all time, and I'm happy to see that there are a few of us on this board. Robbie Robertson has a new album coming out next month, and I'm curious to see how he's progressed. Anyone else?

I absolutely love that first Robertson album but I was less impressed with the follow ups so not really getting my hopes up for this one. Especially since I heard it's more along the lines of the Redboy album. I remain cautiously optimistic.

Robbie's first and second albums are both good, but Redboy or whatever it is called sucks so badly. I haven't heard anything else he has done (unless you count the soundtrack to Carny.}

LouieB

I love Robbie and the Band, too, but my guess is he'll spew most of the same mythology as he did in the Last Waltz, rather than rebut Levon's take. It's hard to believe he hasn't read Levon's book, as he says in the above article.

Oddly enough, I was just listening to the brown album and came in here to post how great the bass line is in "King Harvest (Has Surely Come)". Damn, looking at that video you can see how the years of abuse really beat Rick up a lot. How anyone other than Garth Hudson made it to 70 is a miracle.

Oddly enough, I was just listening to the brown album and came in here to post how great the bass line is in "King Harvest (Has Surely Come)". Damn, looking at that video you can see how the years of abuse really beat Rick up a lot. How anyone other than Garth Hudson made it to 70 is a miracle.

what's interesting is that garth always looked like hell. to me, anyways.

You get the impression Danko was somewhat directionless post-Band, but just loved playing no matter the gig. I don't know if the stories are true, but I've read numerous times about fans hanging out with him after shows he'd play in bars. Just a likeable, approachable guy. It's no wonder Levon gives him a shout out at every show.

I love Robbie and the Band, too, but my guess is he'll spew most of the same mythology as he did in the Last Waltz, rather than rebut Levon's take. It's hard to believe he hasn't read Levon's book, as he says in the above article.

Man, something about those '60s and '70s bass players and the great, dry sounds they got. It's a beautiful thing.

The Last Waltz came on Palladia last night. My wife said "I hate this jam band shit." I had to explain to her that The Band is about as opposite of jam band as you can get, and that they rarely have a solo that goes on for more than a few seconds. They've also been credited as one of the reasons the early so-called jam bands (Cream, Grateful Dead, etc.) broke up or changed their focus (temporarily) to more consise, vocal based tunes.

I can see how one would think of The Band as a jam band, though, since their songs are constantly being covered and jammed on by every shitty band out there.

I came across this last night. Keith Richards, Scotty Moore, DJ Fontana, and the Band playing "Deuce & a Quarter." Some great pics of the recording session. Danko does not look well.

Alcohol, heroin and cocaine. The three sisters have claimed a lot of musicians over the last 50 years.

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to find a video that Richard Manuel appeared in, from the 80s. It's a really lameass shitty song, and I think he was playing drums. Anybody know what what I'm talking about? Thanks.

I'm trying to find a video that Richard Manuel appeared in, from the 80s. It's a really lameass shitty song, and I think he was playing drums. Anybody know what what I'm talking about? Thanks.

Nope.Hope someone finds it though. Sounds dreadful.

LouieB

I've seen it somewhere, but I can't recall the name of it. I think it was some sort of "supergroup" deal.

I think this is what I was thinking of:

We Are The World (1985)

It was a four or five piece band, doing some serious soft rock garbage.

Here it is:

http://youtu.be/TwzphA0Wpko

Edited by aricandover

It was a supergroup (The Band, The Byrds, The Lovin Spoonful', The Young Rascals, Ronnie Spector, and whoever the bass player is. He looks like Fred Turner from B.T.O).

That song is on John's album Tar Beach. I think Levon Helm is also on that album. It was released in 1993.

It took me awhile to recognize him, but that's Big Al Anderson from NRBQ. What a super group and what a horrendous song and arrangement. And the dancing is so awful words fail to describe it. Truly cringeworthy to me. Its embarrasing that musicians of their stature have this travesty with their names on it.

I'm gonna need to watch the Last Waltz five times to erase this from my mind, aarrgghhh!

They were going for that 80s sound. I guess they were trying to fit in with the times. Like the GD with Touch of Grey.

Jeez - you would compare the above video to Touch of Grey - yikes. I guess I never thought of Touch of Grey as "going for the 80s sound".