• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where can I find his other April dates? At the Milwaukee show in Jan he said he'd be back in April, but I can't find any April dates on "official" Bon Iver sites.

From pitchfork

Guest List: Bon Iver

Guest List by Justin Vernon

Welcome to the latest edition of Pitchfork's Guest List. Each week, we ask one of our favorite artists to fill us in on what they've been up to lately: which tracks they can't stop spinning, what books they can't put down, and what new bands they've caught on tour. This week it's Justin Vernon, aka Bon Iver, who recalls a life-changing Indigo Girls concert, bemoans the loss of his favorite amp, and enjoys being on the winning side of the great HD vs. Blu-ray debate.

>> Favorite New Songs of the Past Year

My friends the Bowerbirds, the last song on their record, "Olive Hearts", I've probably listened to more than anything this year. I didn't listen to a lot of new music this year at all, but I loved the Bowerbirds record and I did love "Ponytail" on the Panda Bear record [Person Pitch]. I listened to that quite a bit, too. And I did like the track off of Feist's [The Reminder], "Limit to Your Love". I listened to that quite a bit, but that's kind of all I listened to as far as new stuff this year.

>> Favorite Older Songs at the Moment

I've been listening to Dylan's New Morning album for about two years straight, and it's one of those phases that has just not grown old at all. I listen to it every week. Probably my favorite song on it right now is "Sign on the Window". He just sings about wanting to be his father and it's just one of his least pretentious-- not that I think his shit's pretentious, but it's unmistakably un-pretentious. It's really great.

I don't really like his whole catalog, but I've been listening to his song called "A Song for You" by Donny Hathaway. It's super creepy, weird...it's kind of like a soul song, but it's just really, really good; his voice is just unbelievable. He's just one of those soul singers that made a career out of doing other people's songs, but I think this one of the few songs he wrote or was written for him, and it's really heartbreaking, it's really good.

>> Favorite New Band

I don't know how new they are; they're not new in the universe but they're kind of new to me in the last year and a half or so, the band called Collections of Colonies of Bees. They used to operate as Pele when they were on Polyvinvl, but they also were like

Probably my favorite song on it right now is "Sign on the Window". He just sings about wanting to be his father and it's just one of his least pretentious-- not that I think his shit's pretentious, but it's unmistakably un-pretentious. It's really great.

Um, huh? That song is about Dylan wanting to be his father?

• 2 weeks later...
I think I'd like to go see one of the shows this weekend...trying to decide between Louisville on Friday and Newport on Saturday. I've never heard any Black Mountain, but I'm dying to see Bon Iver.

i am going to the nashville show on monday.

• 2 months later...

I'm REALLY digging Bon Iver. I'm almost glad that Wilco rescheduled Charleston, because now I get to see Bon Iver open for them. Great stuff indeed. I highly recommend you pickup up the album.