• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to see him Saturday night. Hope I can score a cd there, but we shall see.

If you can you might listen to this interview and live performance that solace linked. It's really good.

I heard a bit of him on the stream a while back, and I really did like it, but I'm a bit surprised at the overwhelmingly gushing response here. It seems way too mellow for this amount of anticipation. Not a dig, just a thought. Maybe some who've heard more can put your feelings on this release into words and let me in on what it is about this album that has drawn you to it with such force.

it's honestly one of the most gorgeous things i've heard since the first time i heard Buckley's "Grace" back in late '94, and over the following 2-3 years, Jeff became one of my all time favorite singers/artists... just to put it into perspective.

it's a combination of the starkness of the music & lyrics mixed with the raw emotion of Justin's newly found falsetto that just hits me pretty deep honestly. it's easy to write it off as another folky + falsetto type record, but there's some very subtle and classy layering going on in many places too. the fact that Justin recorded 99% of the album himself also adds to my love of it.

reading the backstory surrounding the album only furthered my love of it and it made complete sense. even before i'd read about the whole cabin thing, the album conjured up a lot of imagery similiar to what the truth actually was. this is one of those cases of "right time, right album". not saying his next album under the "Bon Iver" moniker won't still be great, but still. Justin's been at this quite some time, so it's kinda fitting that his first true solo project is the thing that's gaining him the most attention.

i find it fitting that he's playing MN on eve of the coldest weekend so far this winter :cold

:music

also, read my friend Steve's article/feature, he does a much better job than I could ever think of ;)

http://articles.citypages.com/2008-01-16/m.../into-the-wild/

How Justin Vernon ditched his life, isolated himself in a cabin, and produced an unexpected masterpiece as Bon Iver

Into the Wild

By
Steve McPherson

The pull of the story behind Bon Iver's debut record is almost
it's a combination of the starkness of the music & lyrics mixed with the raw emotion of Justin's newly found falsetto that just hits me pretty deep honestly. it's easy to write it off as another folky + falsetto type record, but there's some very subtle and classy layering going on in many places too. the fact that Justin recorded 99% of the album himself also adds to my love of it.

that's pretty much it for me, too. it's just so damn beautiful. i like a lot of "big" music, but the really sparse, stripped-back material, when done right, really strikes a chord with me.

for another example, take lori mckenna's "kitchen tapes". just her voice, her guitar and a minidisc recorder at her kitchen table (hence the album title). lori's version of 'fake plastic trees' remains one of my favorite cover songs, ever. and i don't even like radiohead... :pirate

i find it fitting that he's playing MN on eve of the coldest weekend so far this winter :cold

it's pretty fucking cold here this week too... :lol

Such a fantastic record. Shot to my "number 3 of the year" on the strength of only 6 of 9 songs...still looking for the other 3! I will not miss him at sxsw and continue to spy ebay for the self released version...

absolutely amazing show tonight... easily the best of the 4 i've seen. this is the touring lineup i believe too. Sean Carey on drums (who i've seen him play w/ 2x before) and a second guitarist (who played Baritone guitar often) whose name is escaping me right now (it'll come to me... he looks to be 16 or so (he's probably early 20's).

Justin did this sick Nels Cline-esque gutiar solo during i think The Wolves or Blindsided maybe :o

he said he'll be back in April already for 2 shows :D, that and i'm going to go see him on Feb 10th in Eau Claire :dancing

also, new dates, with the also amazing Phosphorescent!!!

03/19/08 San Diego, CA - Che Cafe w/ Phosphorescent

03/20/08 Los Angeles, CA - The Echo w/ Phosphorescent

03/21/08 Santa Barbara, CA - Muddy Waters w/ Phosphorescent

03/22/08 Visalia, CA - Cellar Door w/ Phosphorescent

03/23/08 San Francisco, CA - The Independent w/ Phosphorescent

03/24/08 Portland, OR - Holocene w/ Phosphorescent

03/25/08 Vancouver, BC - Media Club

03/26/08 Seattle, WA - Nectar

some of these are fairly new too:

02/10/08 Eau Claire, WI - The Nucleus

02/15/08 Bloomington, IN - Bear's Place w/ The Hollows

02/18/08 Chapel Hill, NC - Local 506

02/23/08 Brooklyn, NY - Glasslands

surely you can forego one night of Wilco for the amazing-ness that is Bon Iver ;)

that Bloomington show is gonna be a big label party too i think

big label?

Unless Bear's has changed in the last 10 years, that would be a fun friggin show.

surely you can forego one night of Wilco for the amazing-ness that is Bon Iver ;)

that Bloomington show is gonna be a big label party too i think

If my friend from SF wasn't flying in for 15&16 shows, I would consider foregoing one night. But I'm interested to catch him at some point in the future. Can't wait to actually buy this CD.

big label?

Unless Bear's has changed in the last 10 years, that would be a fun friggin show.

big a "big label party" i meant that i'm guessing almost all 40+ employees of Jag/SC/Dead Oceans will be at the gig ;)

my good friend Stacy took those :D

haha, yeah that was funny. Justin talked about that issue from the stage and got a collective boo when he mentioned he couldn't sell it just yet. he said he still has some burned copies in his truck from like July though :lol

my other friends Jon & David also took some nice ones:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/howwastheshow...57603746332543/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcbehm/sets/72157603739495610/

Wooo! Can't wait to see him tomorrow night.

Solace, are you familiar with EC? Is The Nucleus across from the old Camaraderie? It's been so many things.... The Golden Chair among others. I'm trying to figure out exactly which building is 410 Water. I can't imagine it being any of the others, but 410 seems like it should be farther down the block. And I'm surprised he's not hitting The Stone's Throw.

Huge bummer on the CDs.

right next door to Racey's coffee shop (it's actually connected) is the Nucleus

holds about 125-140 people i'd say. saw Justin twice there in October, first time opening for DeYarmond Edison (the 2nd of their two reunion shows), that one was sold out, but the second time was opening for Land of Talk and there was only like 35-40 people there.

can't wait

right next door to Racey's coffee shop (it's actually connected) is the Nucleus

Ah, okay.... connected to Racy's. Gotcha.

Where can I hear this before it comes out?

You can still listen at Virb.com. If I discover something else (which isn't likely if solace hasn't), I'll let you know! :thumbup