Underrated Records

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mountain bed said:
Spring Session M defines the whole L.A. New-Wave aesthetic for me. It shocked the hell out of me when this came out - considering the people involved.

I just now saw this response, two days later. :lol

I caught Missing Persons live in a small club around 1984, and they were great. It's hard to truly appreciate how good Terry Bozzio was on drums without seeing him in person. Un-freakin'-real.

Oasis- Be Here Now. really didnt deserve all the heat it took. yes its bloated, yes its pretentious and all that noise..and yet i like it. while on the topic of brit-pop, Blur's Thinktank is another very solid record that got panned for no good reason.

The Aquanettas - Love With the Proper Stranger (1990) Short lived all-girl NY garage band. I like the guitarwork.

Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets (1973) Usually in the shadows, Eno steps all the way to the front!

The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta (1980) Voices In My Head, Shadows In The Rain and Driven To Tears/When The World....... The band at their best!!

Tom Petty & The Hearbreakers (1976) Tom being harsh, fun and romantic.

The Pretenders II (1981) The cover kills me. All dolled up, Chrissie went from punk to fop on the outside, but the tracks on the inside remained true to form. By 1983, half the band was dead. That is soooo Punk Rock.

I agree with those that said Echo by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and Tigerlily by Natalie Merchant.........two of my all time favs.......also I would like to throw out there Swamp Ophelia by The Indigo Girls.........the harmonies and beauty of the songs on there is amazing.........also to me No Code by Pearl Jam should be on this list........to most this album was not Ten or Vs and did not have the hits that Vitalogy had.........but to me it was and will always be their best..........I love the mellow vibe of the album and this was also when they were fighting with Ticketmaster.........so this album did not get the press the previous three did...........

• 2 months later...
Oasis- Be Here Now. really didnt deserve all the heat it took. yes its bloated, yes its pretentious and all that noise..and yet i like it. while on the topic of brit-pop, Blur's Thinktank is another very solid record that got panned for no good reason.

I think Thinktank is an AMAZING album, from start to finish. Another glimpse of the genius of Damon Albarn.

My favorite LP's mentioned are Nashville Skyline, Meddle and Animals.

I guess it is debateable if these are 'underrated'. Sure, classic rock radio has never played a track from them, but I imagine most music fans with a decent amount of taster will have heard - and appreciated them.

Redheadalbum1.jpg

Bleu --- Redhead

This is a really undiscovered gem. Chiming guitars, great vocals and great song highlight this alternately heart wrenching and Creepy examination of the aftermath of a failed relationship. 'Watching you Sleep' is either the funniest song about a stalker or very creepy. And 'You Know, I Know, You Know' describes the aftermath as lived by a lot of guys...

Sadly, he is experiencing the old 'talent performer gets sodomized by the music industry' saga.

We had a moment

We had a long talk

We had a few laughs

We had a night off

We had a few drinks

We happened so fast

Before I noticed

We had a sofa

I know, I know, I know, I know we had a few flights

I don't see why we had to say bye

I'm doin' fine

My friends all say so

I'm doin' all right

But that don't mean dick unless you know, I know, you know

I got my good days

I got my bad days

I know, I know, I know, I know that everyone does

And I know one day I'll be like I was

I'm goin' out more

And I been datin'

There's even one girl I'm kinda seein'

She really likes me

We got a good thing

She keeps on tellin' me...

I'm doin' fine

My friends all say so

I'm doin' all right

I know you think things will never change

But I think I know somethin' you don't

Give me the chance to explain

I'm doin' fine

I'm doin' all right

I know, you know, I know, you know

My favorite LP's mentioned are Nashville Skyline, Meddle and Animals.

I guess it is debateable if these are 'underrated'. Sure, classic rock radio has never played a track from them, but I imagine most music fans with a decent amount of taster will have heard - and appreciated them.

I mentioned Animals because it seems to get buried under DSOTM, WYWH, and TW. But you are correct, it's not like it's some obscure record.

the first two jason falkner records he released.

author unknown and can you still feel?

top notch power pop. after those, his stuff is hit and miss.

to me, the fact that he played everthing on those records himself is amazing.

Squeeze - Sweets from a Stranger

on iTunes: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore...28&s=143441

This album takes a lot of flak even from those Squeeze fans who are still around, mostly because it marked a big shift from their previous upbeat, power pop stuff. This record is absolutely soaked in booze, paranoia, depression... but the band's trademark wit and soul is still there. I get new things out of this album every time I hear it, there's a level of depth to it that's somewhat lacking on the band's more popular LPs.

Also, "Black Coffee In Bed" is a freaking amazing song.

• 6 months later...

interesting thread, agree with many choices here ... the first two falkner records, definitely Ram, absolutely tusk

i guess in a lot of cases these records are underrated because they were dismissed initially as not being the same as the artist's previous work -- obviously ram was very soon after the beatles, tusk followed rumours, and even falkner's stuff was on the heels of some pretty highly regarded jellyfish stuff

i'd also throw mag earwhig! into the same category. following the incomprable trio of bee thousand, alien lanes and under the bushes under the stars and also a major personnel change. was widely overlooked and considered a huge disappointment but time has shown it to be pretty freaking great

i'd also suggest Trick of the Tail, the first genesis record post-peter gabriel but actually quite brilliant

Sonic Youth - Washing Machine

Sonic Youth - Dirty

Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped this album got decent reviews but its a classic and was ahead of the curve all of a sudden everyones making 90s indie swing again(no age)

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky it is what it is obviously, but for me its a classic I had an intense listen last night it still sounds a but strange

Wilco - A.M looking back its brilliant w.e your take shallow or deep , I love the title

Nas - it was written, initaily panned because Illmatic was before it but this is seriosuly a hip hop classic

Pavement - Wowee Zowee , pavement in the mid 90s what else do you want sure its all over the place but these are some of their best songs and a great sound

Lenard Cohen - death of a ladies man , not a traditional lenard cohen album but their are some great songs plus the phil speector productiion is great