"X-Files" stars, crew

"X-Files" stars, crew reunite for secretive sequel

By Leslie Simmons Thu Nov 1, 3:21 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Fans of "The X-Files" no longer have to rely on Internet rumors to seek the truth about a sequel to the 1998 movie based on the popular TV series

On Wednesday, Fox announced production will start December 10 on the sequel, which reunites the show's stars, David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson. The studio also picked July 25 as the U.S. release date.

Series creator Chris Carter will direct the still-untitled film. Carter also co-wrote the screenplay with "X-Files" veteran Frank Spotnitz. The duo also are producing. Shooting will take place in Vancouver.

The studio is staying little about the film's story line. All that is being revealed is that it is a "supernatural thriller" and that the movie will take the complicated relationship between FBI agents Fox Mulder (Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Anderson) in unexpected directions as Mulder continues on his quest for the truth and Scully remains inextricably tied to her partner's pursuits.

The July 25 release date would put "X-Files" up against "Step Brothers," a comedy starring Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly, and an untitled comedy starring Ice Cube.

Fox's "X-Files" ran for nine seasons, ending in 2002. The first feature film, produced by Carter and co-written with Spotnitz, grossed $187 million worldwide.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

They should have never moved the show out of Vancouver in the first place. That was the beginning of the end.

So true.

Gillian Anderson is skinny and blonde now.

And thereby breaking my dad's heart. He loved Scully best in the early seasons, when she was at her dowdiest.

They should have never moved the show out of Vancouver in the first place. That was the beginning of the end.

Vancouver and areas of the Pacific Northwest have a sorrowful and somewhat creepy vibe (think Twin Peaks). Maybe it's the light. Filming in LA, just couldn't convey that same feeling.

• 4 months later...
given up for adoption??!!

was that in the last season? how did i miss this?

yep:

During Season 9, William turns out to have some paranormal abilities, including telekinesis. After a visit from a disguised Jeffrey Spender, William is injected with a magnetite substance, and, according to Spender, seemingly cured of his paranormal abilities. After being kidnapped by a UFO cult, but safely rescued, and because of growing danger to William from conspirators, Scully decides to give him up for adoption to a Wyoming couple in "William."

thanks, kris! i know i watched the last season. damn. i don't remember any of that.

the last thing i really remember is that chris carter killed of the lone gunmen. :no

thanks, kris! i know i watched the last season. damn. i don't remember any of that.

the last thing i really remember is that chris carter killed of the lone gunmen. :no

Frankly the entire enterprise (not talking Star Trek here either) went down in flames after that....the final season was horrible.....

LouieB