The Black Crowes

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The below is a pretty cool story.

The Black Crowes

Shake Your Money Maker

Our first album. I had only been playing for two years when we started pre-production, and I was fairly certain that I would be replaced once everyone figured out that I had no idea what I was doing. I got through it, somehow, and I remember very clearly the day it was released. I was still working a job in a record store in Atlanta, and I stocked the bins with my own album. To see it in the “B” section along with The Bee Gees and The Beatles was all I ever needed to die happy. Everything after that day was cake

I was reading somewhere that people were busting on him for liking The Bee Gees. People often forget they were not always high voice singing Disco dudes.

I found that amazing also. I actually saw that band on the tour - opening for Robert Plant. The only time I ever saw them.

Looks like Chris is going to be a busy guy:

Bob Weir, Chris Robinson and Jackie Greene to Headline the Rocky Mountain Folks Festival

Bob Weir, Chris Robinson and Jackie Greene will debut their new trio at the 21st Annual Rocky Mountain Folks Festival. The event will take place in Lyons, CO from August 19-21. Robinson and Greene were also scheduled to perform together at Nateva, but the event has since been canceled.

I saw this yesterday. It's right up the road from Denver. I'm on it.

re: Jackie Greene per mjpuczko's post above- Jackie has several albums out and was in Phil's band for a awhile from 2007-08, along with Dylan guitarist Larry Campbell. He's played with members of the GD a bunch, too.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Greek Theater

Los Angeles, Ca.

June 15, 1991

live FM broadcast

setlist:

1: radio announcer :33

2: tuning 2:17

3: stage introduction > twice as hard 4:39

4: thick and thin 3:31

5: you're wrong 6:29

6: stare it cold 9:13

7: seeing things (with Jellyfish) 7:28

8: sister luck 6:18

9: hard to handle 3:46

10: could I've been so blind 4:11

11: shake it on down > get back > walk with Jesus 14:16

12: radio announcer encore break 1:39

13: she talks to angels 7:34

14: dreams (Allman Brothers Band) > 9:08

15: jealous again 5:39

16: radio announcer wrap up 1:05

Somebody uploaded this show recently, a Chicago radio station played this show back then and I taped it. I misplaced it ages ago - it nice to hear again. I think I like the present sounding Crowes more, though.

I wonder how that version of Dreams sounds. I don't think I knew they were playing it that early. According to Crowesbase, they had just began covering the song (live, that is) the month before.

I like the cover of Dreams they did with Warren Haynes at several shows in the fall of 1996. And the one with Jimmy Herring from March 14th 2006.

I wonder how that version of Dreams sounds. I don't think I knew they were playing it that early. According to Crowesbase, they had just began covering the song (live, that is) the month before.

I like the cover of Dreams they did with Warren Haynes at several shows in the fall of 1996. And the one with Jimmy Herring from March 14th 2006.

It's a good version, nice long slide solo by Rich. Before the song, Chris mentions that they recently played the song with Gregg Allman and they have been playing it since.

if you ever listen to the gorman podcast, he is not the biggest GD fan. kinda funny. weird because both jackie & joan have played with the dead at some point

That is true, he does not seem to care for any of that sort of music.

he is funny as hell. really glad i started listening to his podcast. i love when he throws in some 'road' stories from the good ol days.

he is funny as hell. really glad i started listening to his podcast. i love when he throws in some 'road' stories from the good ol days.