The Black Crowes

he is funny as hell. really glad i started listening to his podcast. i love when he throws in some 'road' stories from the good ol days.

I have not yet listened to the latest one, but that episode with the stories was great.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like Rich is getting active again:

Rich Robinson is proud to announce the tour in support of his new album "Through A Crooked Sun". The album will be released on October 11 and the tour will start October 6 in Philadelphia and end November 19 in Phoenix. Rich's band will consist of Joe Magistro (drums), Jack Daley (bass) and Steve Molitz (keyboards). Dylan LeBlanc will be the opening act for the entire tour.

Sort of -

I think they did some shows a few years ago - with some different people. To me, what holds the deal together is Steve and Audley. I suppose they are sort of going for a Delaney and Bonnie vibe there.

• 2 months later...

I've looked at them, but I have not grabbed any. I am thinking about buying his new album. It's funny that Rich beat Chris on putting out a new solo album. There should also be a Trigger Hippy album sometime this coming year.

I'm totally loving Rich's new album. I'm not that excited about Chris' sluggish, mid-tempo Grateful Dead lovefest that is the CRB live show, but I'd go see Rich three nights in a row if I could. I think I'm in the minority amongst Crowes fans, it seems. I hear CRB is going into the studio to do an album.

For what its worth, a post about seeing Rich live on my blog. http://sugartown-shug.blogspot.com/2011/11/i-caught-phoenix-az-show-of-rich.html

I'm going to have to hear that new Rich album. I always thought of him as the lucky guy surrounded by Chris and Marc Ford. Plus he always came across as such a dick. Does his album sound like the Crowes or is it something new?

I haven't heard Rich's album, either. He may be a lucky guy, I guess, but I think he is a decent songwriter and brought a lot to the Black Crowes' table.

I guess I always enjoyed Rich's role in the Crowes, more so than Chris's, who I found to be a bit annoying at times. I always enjoyed Richards over Jagger, too. I guess I am saying lead singers annoy me. :lol

Listening to Warpaint, now - haven't listened to it in a while - holds up nicely.

I think he wrote most of the music in the Black Crowes, or rather, that is what I have read over the years. The one thing I didn't care for - was his singing ability. I guess that is something he worked on, as it seems to be better now.

I don't know if the band is gone for good or what, but I have to say their last few albums are the only new releases I have bought in the last several years that did anything for me.

I'm going to have to hear that new Rich album. I always thought of him as the lucky guy surrounded by Chris and Marc Ford. Plus he always came across as such a dick. Does his album sound like the Crowes or is it something new?

I'd say Rich's album doesn't sound much like The Black Crowes, which to me is a good thing as I think a side project should be a different side of an artist than you get from their main band. He did write most of the music for Black Crowes songs, apparently.

I wrote earlier: On this record, Rich has come into his own as a songwriter and singer with an introspective set of songs tailored to his own singing voice and bringing together a nice set of less-than-mainstream 70s rock and folk influences (Manassas, Nick Drake, Woodstock-era Dylan, early Pink Floyd and early Fleetwood Mac, etc). He's quietly become a master-craftsman composer and its becoming more and more clear to me how much he's responsible for the Black Crowes' sound. I’d also been following the setlists on the tour, noting all the originals and great cover songs (Neil Young, Velvet Underground, obscure Rolling Stones, Clapton, Procol Harum, etc) that were in the rotation being changed up every night.

As for him being a dick, I think he's just very reserved and tends to show very little emotion which can come across as distant. It'd take a lot of energy to try to get some of the spotlight away from Chris when they are on stage together and I'd guess that Rich really has no interest in doing that, but I don't really know, of course. My impression, based on recent interviews, is that he's a very thoughtful and quiet kind of guy who nonetheless has a lot of great music that comes from his soul. He seems sincere to me.

As for him being a dick, I think he's just very reserved and tends to show very little emotion which can come across as distant. It'd take a lot of energy to try to get some of the spotlight away from Chris when they are on stage together and I'd guess that Rich really has no interest in doing that, but I don't really know, of course. My impression, based on recent interviews, is that he's a very thoughtful and quiet kind of guy who nonetheless has a lot of great music that comes from his soul. He seems sincere to me.

Well, he's got one thing going for him. Kate Hudson didn't ruin his life.

Well, he's got one thing going for him. Kate Hudson didn't ruin his life.

Now she's got her hooks into Matt Bellamy. Muse will be breaking up soon.

Kate Hudson...the Yoko Ono of the new millenium.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rich Robinson Embraces Globalization

I find this a bit odd.

Co-founder of The Black Crowes Crowes Rich Robinson has started a new band, and is taking to (the left side) of the road. That’s right... Rich Robinson and Crooked Sun is embarking on their first European tour, to be followed by more international touring later in the year. Touring is expensive, especially internationally, so this Kickstarter campaign and your help are essential to funding the endeavor. Your money goes towards tour support in all its various forms, mainly getting Rich and the boys from gig to gig. Rich recently released a full-length album titled Through A Crooked Sun and he is anxious to share it across the pond.

This is very strange. The rewards don't seem worth the donation at all. I've contributed to a few kickstarters trying to fund albums - usually you pay $10 - 20 and get a cd out of the deal. $40 for a cd is a bit much, right?

This is very strange. The rewards don't seem worth the donation at all. I've contributed to a few kickstarters trying to fund albums - usually you pay $10 - 20 and get a cd out of the deal. $40 for a cd is a bit much, right?

Considering I just bought a signed vinyl copy for less, yes.

I would think he's rolling in the dough with all the touring the Crowes did during the reformation.

He has sold some gear here and there, but it seemed more like stuff he genuinely didn't want around anymore as opposed to wanting to keep it but needing the money.

I posted this on a Crowes board as well, but since this forum as a much higher rate of civilized discussions, I thought I'd weigh in here...

I'm not the type for the apoplectic internet response, but this move by Rich and his management has me shaking my head in disbelief.

Why embark on a tour you can't afford? I only made it through the first minute of that terrible video (Rich was funny, but the hambone playing his manager... oh man), so I'm assuming they aren't necessarily looking to fund the existing dates. If so, that just seems like a colossal mistake. But even if the goal is to expand their tour base and go somewhere other than Western Europe, shouldn't there be evidence in the marketplace that people want this? Like a booking agent who says, "Yeah, I can get more than 4 Bulgarians to watch Rich Robinson and his solo revue. Bring 'em over. We'll pay!"

This whole campaign seems to say, "We know there isn't a significant market for our live show in other countries, but dammit, we still want to go anyway! Please pay for our vacation abroad!"

And $75k?!? That seems ludicrously high for an artist with such a small solo following. The funny thing is, the stink of hubris could be lessened if they made the goal a semi-reasonable $10k (and I'm not sure he'll even get that). The way kickstarter works, you can receive donations waaaaay beyond what you asked for, but if you set your target too high, you don't get a dime. There are truly amazing stories on that site, like the one where a designer needed $15k for an iPod watch thing, and he got almost a million bucks. This will not be one of those stories.

Oh, and for additional evidence of the inspiring brain trust that is managing Rich's solo career. Why am I finding out about this for the first time on an some fan-funded message board? I know I've given my email address to every Crowe-related endeavor over the years (Thirty Tigers definitely has my info), and like all of you nerds, I've spent thousands of dollars over the years devoting my ears to these goofs, so why is it that they can't send me an email blast saying, "Dear asshole we've milked dry in the past... We'd like more of your money, please!' Honestly, that usually works on me. I bought like three copies of Rich's solo album. Just because I'm stupid. You should have targeted an idiot like me. How did you miss that?

I take no joy in the internet pile-on, but man this one really deserves it. It's a good album and a good live show, but it was never going to set the world on fire. Be happy with the small success on this one, Rich. It's still success.

Side-note. I'm halfway through the "I Want My MTV" oral history and there are some choice Angelus bites in there. A fun, breezy read, with no shortage of debauched stories (many from the aforementioned Angelus).

Yeah, Rich on Kickstarter? Weird move, in my view. I agree with ya, Bob Lamonta, its embarrasing. I LOVE Rich's new album and the live show was excellent when I saw it, but asking fans to help out with gas money just seems kinda pathetic for someone who's enjoyed Rich's level of success. Don't the royalty checks he still gets for all the times old Crowes songs get played on jukeboxes and radio give him enough money to not have to ask his fans for more?

maybe on his own he has no money. who knows. kickstarts seem to be a great thing though for those cool artists with a loyal fan base...jay farrar could get away with it. bob mould is another.