The Beers I Must Drink Before I Die Thread

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One (of the few) good points of living and working in K'zoo.

I'd probably move back if I could find a decent job there. I love that town ... though I suppose that might be mere nostalgia for nearly thirty years' worth of memories there.

Being you're underage, you pretty much have to drink a 12 pack of Natural Ice one night. It's a given.

Ooof, I'd almost forgotten about the Liquid Crack. That stuff is awful, but I guess it is kind of a rite of passage thing, eh? :lol

Ah yes, I remember (sort of) those days--a 30-pack of Busch Light and my freshman roommate and I playing all-night Rugby marathons on his Sega Genesis.(yeah we were cool) And those were just the weeknights when we were taking it easy and staying in to "study". Weekends were made for Natty Ice. B) Actually, I preferred Icehouse. Do they still make that stuff? I haven't seen it in years. The "ice" craze seems to have subsided a bit since the 90s.

Oh, and for a more serious answer for this thread, you can't go wrong with Abita: Amber or Turbodog are solid.

And on the PBR-esque working-man's-beer tip, I've got a soft spot for Yuengling (esp the Black & Tan, imo).

Also, Saranac and Long Trail are moderately priced and make a wide variety of nice beers.

I didn't see those mentioned, so figured they deserved a shout.

Then there are the obvious:

Guinness, Dogfish Head, Newcastle (although I think I'm getting kind of tired of it)

The Sam Adams line is still good, but I'm less impressed, overall, than I used to be. My favorite of theirs, anymore, is their Cream Stout--although its probably not even my favorite stout. Very good, but not world-shattering.

Oh, and for holiday beers, the Harpoon Winter Warmer is probably my favorite. :thumbup

I'd probably move back if I could find a decent job there. I love that town ... though I suppose that might be mere nostalgia for nearly thirty years' worth of memories there.

You live in the only town that IMHO beats K'zoo for places to live in Michigan. And don't knock that mere nostalgia angle, I've moved away at least 3 times, just to eventually end up back in the ol' hometown.

Back to the beer:

Just like the swallows returning to San Juan Capastrano, another sure sign of spring's arrival

BellsOberonLabel2006small.jpg

Ooof, I'd almost forgotten about the Liquid Crack. That stuff is awful, but I guess it is kind of a rite of passage thing, eh? :lol

Ah yes, I remember (sort of) those days--a 30-pack of Busch Light and my freshman roommate and I playing all-night Rugby marathons on his Sega Genesis.(yeah we were cool) And those were just the weeknights when we were taking it easy and staying in to "study". Weekends were made for Natty Ice. B) Actually, I preferred Icehouse. Do they still make that stuff? I haven't seen it in years. The "ice" craze seems to have subsided a bit since the 90s.

They still make Icehouse!

I just drive down the street to the Eccentric Cafe. One (of the few) good points of living and working in K'zoo.

Sure, give me another reason to want to speed up my five-year plan to move to Michigan... are they doing brewery tours again? They weren't for awhile because of remodeling or something.

When the $$$ are scarce and a beer is what you crave, you can't go wrong with

pbr_logo.jpg

History fact of the day: PBR won its BR at the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition right here in sweet home Chicago (says the girl who just said she wants to move to Michigan.)

Another good summer beer: Three Floyds Gumballhead

Sure, give me another reason to want to speed up my five-year plan to move to Michigan... are they doing brewery tours again? They weren't for awhile because of remodeling or something.

I don't know about the brewery tours, as I have never been to the Comstock location where they do the majority of production. In fact, I don't know if they are doing any brewing at the Eccentric (Kalamazoo Ave) location anymore. They just finished a remodeling project in which they moved the retail store from one of the back warehouses to a storefront on Kalamazoo Ave. that used to be brewing space.

Hop Devil is my favorite, but I'm always interested in trying new beers, especially IPAs. I also love Victory's Storm King Stout, though at nearly 10% alcohol, one usually knocks me on my ass. I found out recently that a good bar for microbrews around here has an equally strong coffee stout, so I'm going to have to go try that.

I couldn't drink for most of the fall because I had mono, but this is my favorite time of year for beer, since I like the dark, hoppy beers best. I want to try to track down a six pack of Stone's Arrogant Bastard. I love their IPA and I really like AB, too, but I've only had it out and about, since I can't find it in bottles.

Right now I have a six pack of Caskzilla, an extremely hoppy red ale from the Ithaca Brewery. It's a very small operation, so I doubt it's available anywhere beyond a hundred miles of here. For a small local brewery, though, they make some very good beers. Yuengling is my go-to cheap beer. Both their lager and their porter are pretty good for that price range (and you're on the east coast).

I had an oatmeal stout chocolate torte last week at a restaurant. It was the best dessert I've ever had. The beer balanced out the sweetness of the chocolate perfectly. It was a little slice of heaven that combined two of my favorite things (and homemade whipped cream, too).

Ooh, need to try that.

My all-time favorite is Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. :yes

:worship

Hands down, the best darn beer ever.. Samual Smith also makes a great Nut Brown Ale.... My favorite beers are the one's you can only get at micro-brewery/pubs.. I once had a Mocha Stout (wish I remember who made it... had too many of them I guess) at a pub here in Charleston that was out of this world. The pub is Gene's Hofbrau..

But when I'm gonna have a cheap beer night at a gig or something, I just drink Miller Lite.. It's good, for shitty, cheap beer..

This thread makes me thirsty.

733564.jpg

Made since the 1880's by the same brewery that brings you Saranac and Brooklyn Lager (also excellent as well). Anyone who says they hate UC either doesn't like real beers or has had it not fresh. 10 points for anyone who knows the lyrics to the UC song! I'll even start you off:

OOOOHHHHH, brew me no beer, with artificial bubbles,

No artificial bubbles today!

Magic Hat No. 9
Really? I've been unimpressed with the Magic Hats I've tried. Can't remember if I've had that one. Same with the Flying Dog stuff. The label is more interesting than the beer itself.
Also, it's been a great year for Magic Hat out of Vermont. Those guys are bringing the tasty.

I never really liked their stuff before this summer - but they've really been on a hell of a streak lately. The 12-pack combos are great.

Last night I had their "odd notion" winter brew. Delicious.

Can't say I like the No. 9 or their wheat beer much.