And the show-closing cover of Waylon Jennings' "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?" gathered velocity like a tape deck with broken fast-forward button, ending the evening on a bracing note.

I love that they are ending their shows with this cover. Even the people who didn't move the entire show moved to this one.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to Trace right now and preparing (mentally) for tonight's show. (As an aside, man, I forgot how stunning this album is).

Can anyone who has seen shows on this tour help out with a general timeline of the events tonight? I have to admit that I've got babysitter issues. Tix say 7pm. Opening band at 8pm? Son Volt at 9? Curfew at 11pm? That sound about right? Really appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Listening to Trace right now and preparing (mentally) for tonight's show. (As an aside, man, I forgot how stunning this album is).

Can anyone who has seen shows on this tour help out with a general timeline of the events tonight? I have to admit that I've got babysitter issues. Tix say 7pm. Opening band at 8pm? Son Volt at 9? Curfew at 11pm? That sound about right? Really appreciate any help anyone can offer.

That is my guess too! Will be strolling in around 845 tonight! I really hope I get to hear Jukebox of Steel! Heard they just started play this!

cool, thanks remphish1. I think i have a general idea of what you look like from a pic you posted of you and the guy from sigur ros. If I see you, I will introduce myself. Or, feel free to introduce yourself to me when you find me. I will be the guy in the button down shirt, black rimmed glasses, and beard. I know that narrows it down a ton. :)

EDIT: or, find the prettiest girl in the joint. I am going with my wife. :)

I went to the Charlotte show and it started much later than your show is supposedly starting, due mainly to the curfew I suppose. The opener was supposed to start at 8:45. We got to the venue around 9:30 and she was still playing. I'd say Son Volt came on around 10:15 or so and they played around 2 hours.

I went to the Charlotte show and it started much later than your show is supposedly starting, due mainly to the curfew I suppose. The opener was supposed to start at 8:45. We got to the venue around 9:30 and she was still playing. I'd say Son Volt came on around 10:15 or so and they played around 2 hours.

Yeah, you might be right. I just checked the venue's website, and it says the show is at 8pm, even though the tix say 7pm. So, that means I am probably looking at the timeline you mentioned. Thanks!

cool, thanks remphish1. I think i have a general idea of what you look like from a pic you posted of you and the guy from sigur ros. If I see you, I will introduce myself. Or, feel free to introduce yourself to me when you find me. I will be the guy in the button down shirt, black rimmed glasses, and beard. I know that narrows it down a ton. :)

EDIT: or, find the prettiest girl in the joint. I am going with my wife. :)

Heh heh...If I was bringing my wife we might have a dissagreement :P but since I am bring the brother in law then I guess it is not an issue and will keep an eye out!

Great show last night. Not a sellout, which is a real bummer. Sound was great where I was standing and the band seemed really into it. Great setlist, and Are Your Sure Hank Done It This Way blew me away.

I have to admit that I wasn't thrilled with the new guitarist. He was certainly fine, and I am not looking to find negative things. The show was spectacular. But I just didn't think he was that great last night. I think he's new, so it could be that he's just not yet totally locked in with the band. I trust that Jay knows what he's doing when he picks out a lead guitarist.

Jay has written some pretty doggone amazing songs. It feels like a privilege to be in a room hearing him sing them.

Great show last night. Not a sellout, which is a real bummer. Sound was great where I was standing and the band seemed really into it. Great setlist, and Are Your Sure Hank Done It This Way blew me away.

I have to admit that I wasn't thrilled with the new guitarist. He was certainly fine, and I am not looking to find negative things. The show was spectacular. But I just didn't think he was that great last night. I think he's new, so it could be that he's just not yet totally locked in with the band. I trust that Jay knows what he's doing when he picks out a lead guitarist.

Jay has written some pretty doggone amazing songs. It feels like a privilege to be in a room hearing him sing them.

I thought the new guitarist was ok. He made interesting guitar Faces! I didn't see ya last night Matt. Where were you standing? I was up front maybe 3 rows back in front of Mark Spencer. I thought the sound was crisp but very loud last night. My ears are still ringing! :rock

I thought the new guitarist was ok. He made interesting guitar Faces! I didn't see ya last night Matt. Where were you standing? I was up front maybe 3 rows back in front of Mark Spencer. I thought the sound was crisp but very loud last night. My ears are still ringing! :rock

We were right in front of Jay, but 3/4 of the way back. I ended up getting there later than I expected. My ears were ringing last night until I fell asleep too.

Yeah, I don't know how to describe my opinion of the guitarist. I suppose my post above was half-empty, instead of half-full. The half-full Matt would say he was ok. It felt like he was trying to rip off these amazing solos, and he certainly did sometimes, but other times, his brain moved too fast for his fingers and he was just a tad slow. And it ended up sounding like he was a split second behind himself. I don't know what I am talking about. And I don't want this to be the focus. When he nailed the solo it was awesome, but I think he was a bit slow a few times -- again, not because he isn't good, but because he was trying to do too much. Maybe?

Let's get back to how great the show was. I walked out of there on Cloud Nine. It was the best Son Volt show I've seen out of 3. Great band, great songs, great time. :)

The more I think about it, the more I think that this past Saturday's show was the best that I had seen Son Volt or Farrar (4 times total). My brother and I are continuing to talk about it almost a week later. I am definitely seeing them again in November.

yeah, it was definitely one of the best son volt shows i've seen as well ... i think i've seen 'em nine times and farrar/spencer once (and tupelo once, but that's another level)

it was the first time i've left a son volt show not disappointed that he doesn't play any tupelo stuff anymore (although can you imagine how good "whiskey bottle" or "looking for a way out" would sound with this lineup?)

i thought walbourne was amazing and really energized jay and injected some new life into the band