• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the philly show a couple months ago was pretty full, mid-size theater type venue

walbourne is a beast. the current band is very very good

my only complaint about son volt live shows is that the set list NEVER varies

so if you saw him a few months ago, some might feel there's no compelling reason to see them the next time they swing around because you're going to get the exact same set

i'll go see 'em anywhere anytime, but i can see where some people wouldn't because you're not going to get anything old (except windfall and tear-stained eye -- no uncle tupelo) and you're not going to get anything different

I was also a little surprised about the lack of older material. This was my first time seeing the band this year (I have been seeing them since the "Trace" days, so I have quite a few shows under my belt by now), but it seems like past tours have had a few more older tunes sprinkled in. I don't expect "Graveyard Shift" or "Factory Belt", but at least one or two tunes from Straightaways and Wide Swing Tremolo would be nice. With that said, though, the slight re-working of "Ten Second News" with Jay on electric guitar was all sorts of awesome on Monday night.

And by the way, Peter Brutnell was great as the opener. Son Volt minus Jay joined him for the last few songs of his set, and I was really impressed. I haven't kept up with him since his "Normal For Bridgewater" disc several years ago, but I think it's time for me to check out what he's been up to lately.

Me too! Looking forward to it, they tore it up when I saw them in September.

I saw them in September, too (Charlotte) and also in February. This will be the first year I've seen Son Volt more than I've seen Wilco.

Yeah, I saw them in September too in Charlotte.

Last night's show was great, in my opinion. The wife seemed to like them too. I thought the opening act was excellent. Jay was as friendly or engaged as he was in Charlotte. One complaint though: the set list was practically the same with a few omissions and the show seemed short. I guess it wasn't that short though, I mean it was short of 2 hours.

We had a great time, too. Seems like they didn't play as many mellow tunes as they did in Charlotte. They didn't play Damn Shame, though, and that's one of my faves live. I didn't think they were going to come back out that 3rd time, and we had headed for the exit until we heard people yelling. My only complaint about the show was that I always, always seem to get stuck behind the weirdos. The couple in front of me must've thought they were at the prom because all they did was slow dance and make out the entire time. I don't think the woman even looked at the stage once. At least it wasn't too crowded so I could move a little but they were always in my line of sight. Ugh. Also saw a guy with a Sky Blue Sky shirt on. Funny.

I loved the opening act, especially his songs with the band. I actually spoke to him out in the lobby and he was very personable and super nice. He's a tiny thing, shorter than me!

Overall, a good night. We ate downtown before the show and I was very impressed with the area. I wish Columbia had such a downtown.

Ugh. Also saw a guy with a Sky Blue Sky shirt on. Funny.

Yeah, he stood about 7-8 feet in front of us. I always tell the wife that I want to be the jackass to wear the Wilco shirt because there's always at least one. Or the jackass wearing the Uncle Tupelo shirt; again always one of those too. I always chicken out though.

Downtown G-ville is great. I used to go down there a lot when I used to drink to the various bars and such. We go to Wild Wings a lot. we live the perfect distance from downtown: a good 5-10 minute straight drive to downtown for us. It took us about 5 minutes to get home from the Handlebar last night.

The show definitely had fewer slower spots. I was shocked when they didn't play Hank did this way" or whatever it's called to end the set. I've seen them 5 times and, so far, they've ended 3 concerts with that song. I told my wife that it's gonna get played, but after a minute or so we turned to leave, then everyone started yelling. My wife hates the whole encore thing. She has the "just stay out and play" mentality, but she was a trooper and we stayed.

Met Jay Farrar tonight. Totally nice guy. Had a good chat with him about songwriting and stuff. He cracked a couple of jokes too... I was very impressed with what a nice fella he was. :thumbup

The show was really good. Probably would rank it #2 out of the 4 times i have seen em.

Met Jay Farrar tonight. Totally nice guy. Had a good chat with him about songwriting and stuff. He cracked a couple of jokes too... I was very impressed with what a nice fella he was. :thumbup

The show was really good. Probably would rank it #2 out of the 4 times i have seen em.

please give us all the details. how did you meet him? what about song writing did you talk about? :dancing

i was hanging outside the venue waiting for doors and he walked by so i said "hey jay, i'm a huge fan!" and he turned around and shook my hand and asked my name. I told him i've been a fan for a very long time, and he asked if i was from chattanooga (where the show was) and we talked a bit about Chickamauga and i asked him what it was like to make the record with Ben Gibbard. He said it was an interesting experience. I told him I was a music major in school and he wished me luck. I asked if I could take a picture, and he said sure and got Mark Spencer to take it. I was showing Mark how to work it, and Jay made a joke about Mark's steady hands, and actually chuckled. The first picture turned out blurry, so we ended up taking 4-5, but this is my fav out of all of them even though it is blurry cos Jay looks amused. :) Throughout the show Jay made eye contact with me and smiled a few times. Was really cool, but I think most of it was because I was the only sober person on the front row.

11868_194206939120_500249120_2904252_468382_n.jpg

i was hanging outside the venue waiting for doors and he walked by so i said "hey jay, i'm a huge fan!" and he turned around and shook my hand and asked my name. I told him i've been a fan for a very long time, and he asked if i was from chattanooga (where the show was) and we talked a bit about Chickamauga and i asked him what it was like to make the record with Ben Gibbard. He said it was an interesting experience. I told him I was a music major in school and he wished me luck. I asked if I could take a picture, and he said sure and got Mark Spencer to take it. I was showing Mark how to work it, and Jay made a joke about Mark's steady hands, and actually chuckled. The first picture turned out blurry, so we ended up taking 4-5, but this is my fav out of all of them even though it is blurry cos Jay looks amused. :) Throughout the show Jay made eye contact with me and smiled a few times. Was really cool, but I think most of it was because I was the only sober person on the front row.

That is fantastic! It's great to ready a positive story about someone meeting Jay, given his reputation. Great picture!

for sure. i didn't know what to expect meeting him, but he was in a great mood! i think a lot of it probably had to do with it being the last night of the tour. i am still smiling about it. though, i was cautious, and totally took the wilco button off my jacket before i went to the show.

also, the support band was great! perter bruntnell was his name. really really good stuff. :)

for sure. i didn't know what to expect meeting him, but he was in a great mood! i think a lot of it probably had to do with it being the last night of the tour. i am still smiling about it. though, i was cautious, and totally took the wilco button off my jacket before i went to the show.

also, the support band was great! perter bruntnell was his name. really really good stuff. :)

thanks so much for sharing. sounds so cool. i figured he was a cool dude.

Awesome! You caught him in the right night! I asked him if I can get a picture with him and he said I don't do pictures! Hope you enjoyed the show! I think the new album sounds great live! :rock

He really couldn't have been nicer, although, Jeff is still my favorite of any musician I've ever met, but ya know...i might be a little biased.

Weird about him saying he didn't do pictures, maybe it's cos your a dude? :hmm

Oh yeah, it was a really good show. The songs from American Central Dust were great live. The last time I saw them back in Feb they played a lot of them too, but I think it really helps to be familiar with the record too.

He really couldn't have been nicer, although, Jeff is still my favorite of any musician I've ever met, but ya know...i might be a little biased.

Weird about him saying he didn't do pictures, maybe it's cos your a dude? :hmm

Oh yeah, it was a really good show. The songs from American Central Dust were great live. The last time I saw them back in Feb they played a lot of them too, but I think it really helps to be familiar with the record too.

Yeah probably true...I met Jay a few times...the other time I met him we had a good talk. Did the setlist change much from Feb? I saw them back in September and the setlist was great. 10 Second News was a highlight! :cheers

Unbelievable, the guy sounds like an absolute jerk!

That's awesome you got to meet him, Sarah! I think maybe he's getting a little more personable in his old age? During the show, he smiled once and my brother and I turned to each other at the same time and said "He smiled!". :lol

Great story Sarah. I'm always amused by some of the conclusions people draw about musicians, athletes, or celebrities, without having the slightest clue as to who they are. I have little interest in meeting or knowing about the personal lives of those people whose work or talent I admire. I don't judge those that do. For whatever reason, I have little interest in peeking behind the curtain.

I don't get the ornery thing about Jay. I have met him twice, during the day before gigs and he was very relaxed and personable and easy to chat to. Just a normal dude really.

I don't get the ornery thing about Jay. I have met him twice, during the day before gigs and he was very relaxed and personable and easy to chat to. Just a normal dude really.

some guy named Jeff Tweedy said it a few times. Most notably he said that he used to speak into the mic and Farrar would go ballistic

some guy named Jeff Tweedy said it a few times. Most notably he said that he used to speak into the mic and Farrar would go ballistic

Well, there is baggage there too obviously.