• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can peole chime in on the actual content of thei album?  Is it worth getting or should I wait until a used copy shows up at my favorite record store? 

(Jay Farrar has disappointed the rest of us, so I would like a larger sample of opinions)

LouieB

I haven't listened to the stream, because, despite my disappointment in Jay's work ever since Okemah, he still ranks as an artist I'll buy on the day of release.  I'm waiting to listen until my (pre-ordered) CD arrives.  I'm thinking about seeing him in June in Milwaukee, but I want to spend some time with the album first.  The last few albums aren't enough to get me to his show (and the last Son Volt show I caught was underwhelming).

Plenty of people at the Farrar board (I used to hang out there) often seemed unnaturally fixated on elevating Jay by virtue of dissing Jeff, and that always came off as ridiculous.  That kind of petty fixation doesn't seem to happen here at VC, although the enthusiasm for Jay here certainly doesn't match the enthusiasm for Jeff.

At this late stage, 20 years after UT, my interest in one does not have any relationship to my interest in the other, and I assume that's true for most people.  Do people really still care about comparing Jeff and Jay?   Their artistic ambitions don't occupy the same space anymore, and haven't for a long time.  I'm a fan of both, but for different reasons.  I can't imagine defining one in terms of the other--after all, the individual merits or failings of Jay or Jeff have nothing to do with the other guy.

I've been disappointed in Jay's recent output, but I remain interested and keep hoping that I'll enjoy his next effort, whatever it is, as much as I loved the first few Son Volt albums.

At this late stage, 20 years after UT, my interest in one does not have any relationship to my interest in the other, and I assume that's true for most people.  Do people really still care about comparing Jeff and Jay?   Their artistic ambitions don't occupy the same space anymore, and haven't for a long time.  I'm a fan of both, but for different reasons.  I can't imagine defining one in terms of the other--after all, the individual merits or failings of Jay or Jeff have nothing to do with the other guy.

I've been disappointed in Jay's recent output, but I remain interested and keep hoping that I'll enjoy his next effort, whatever it is, as much as I loved the first few Son Volt albums.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

I'll add that I liked Okemah... but not much else since his first two Son Volt records. And I saw them twice, years ago - good, solid shows. But nothing mind-blowing. They played their songs well. They walked off stage. I guess this is why I have not seen them since, because they did not move me. I realize others may have had a different experience.

I thought the last couple of times I've seen them were good, though I never got to see the original line up, so I have nothing to compare it to. I thought the music sounded good so I kept seeing them. The tickets have never been too expensive, so it's been fun seeing them several times, and I plan to again in June. 

The record has a real classic country feel to it. Think country music in the 50's and 60's. 

As far as the Jay vs. Jeff thing I've never thought of them as competitors for the same audience or fans or even with each other. 2 different bands that happened to spring out of one awesome band. A musical mitosis. 

While I've liked elements, many for that matter since Wide String Tremolo and up through all the solo records, projects, etc.......none have matched the sheer brilliance of HonkyTonk. The songs, thematically, parts played, vibe, the "swing" factor, sequence....all of it. This isn't a knee-jerk reaction either. I've been playing it for a week now. It's Jay's best record in over 12-13 years. Full Stop.

While I've liked elements, many for that matter since Wide String Tremolo and up through all the solo records, projects, etc.......none have matched the sheer brilliance of HonkyTonk. The songs, thematically, parts played, vibe, the "swing" factor, sequence....all of it. This isn't a knee-jerk reaction either. I've been playing it for a week now. It's Jay's best record in over 12-13 years. Full Stop.

It's hard to argue with anything from that statement. I think it ranks up there with Jay's best work. I've been playing it constantly since it leaked, and i will be buying a copy first thing tomorrow(I didn't today only b/c of the snowy weather outside). The "Bakersfield sound," his voice is just made for. The best stuff he's put out the past decade, in my opinion, are the Gob Iron record, The Kerouac record with Ben Gibbard, and the New Multitudes project. He's had some great moments with Son Volt, but Honkey Tonk, start to finish, tops everything except Trace. It might even compete with Trace for my favorite SV record(so far). It's great!

I have not heard if the vinyl will have a digital download or not. I would assume that it does. At any rate, I think I'm gonna wait until I see it for a lower price: I've been able to find most jay-related vinyl for around $10 a few months after its initial release.