Got a notice from the City Winery mailing list in Chicago that Jay Farrar's playing 2 solo dates here in April.  Looks like some other towns too. Bought a ticket for the Friday Chicago show.  Thought it was worth giving a heads-up to others who might want to see him solo.  http://www.jayfarrar.net/tour/

City Winery's kind of a classy room with cheap tickets (like $25) and an expensive and fancy menu, and they try to get you in there early to run up a hefty food and beverage tab.  Had some pork belly with mole last time I was there (seeing Calexico) that I still have dreams about.  Mmmmm.  Mole.

Thanks for the heads up. I picked up two for the Friday show.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a notice yesterday that Jay Farrar and Rhett Miller (together!) are playing 2 dates at the Old Town School of Folk Music April 25 and 26!  Pre-sale for members on Friday 2/6 and then regular tickets to the general public on 2/13.  Thought others in Chicago might be interested.  I'm a member if someone wants to get in on the pre-sale.

http://www.oldtownschool.org/concerts/2015/04-25-2015-jay-farrar-rhett-miller-8pm/

^^^ I got the same notice.  Since I really enjoy both Son Volt and the Old 97's, I thought this would be a great show.  Then I remembered that the only time I saw Son Volt live (circa 2000), I thought the show was pretty boring.  I saw Rhett Miller solo a couple of years ago and he was fun.  Still deciding.  Maybe Jay has loosened up a little since I last saw him?  

Got a notice yesterday that Jay Farrar and Rhett Miller (together!) are playing 2 dates at the Old Town School of Folk Music April 25 and 26!  Pre-sale for members on Friday 2/6 and then regular tickets to the general public on 2/13.  Thought others in Chicago might be interested.  I'm a member if someone wants to get in on the pre-sale.

http://www.oldtownschool.org/concerts/2015/04-25-2015-jay-farrar-rhett-miller-8pm/

That is an ODD couple. Rhett is such a showman. Jay just stands there and plays songs.

That is an ODD couple. Rhett is such a showman. Jay just stands there and plays songs.

Maybe they are trying to balance things out :)  I did see Jay solo last year at City Winery and yeah, he pretty much stood there and played songs.  I'm still going!  He can stand there and sing songs for me all day long.  I'm good with it.

After seeing Jay twice in the early '00s, he's definitely off my radar screen too. I do still like his early recordings though, good stuff.

I like a lot of his recordings.  We might just as well stay home and listen to them.  He has no stage presence and his songs begin to sound the same after awhile.  As I have said before, I enjoy his collaborations with others more than his solo material.

LouieB

I like a lot of his recordings.  We might just as well stay home and listen to them.  He has no stage presence and his songs begin to sound the same after awhile.  As I have said before, I enjoy his collaborations with others more than his solo material.

LouieB

Every word of this is true.

I like a lot of his recordings.  We might just as well stay home and listen to them.  He has no stage presence and his songs begin to sound the same after awhile.

LouieB

I decided not to pay to see Son Volt or Jay again after seeing Son Volt twice in the mid-90s. You hit the nail on the head. Fine studio work. Live show has no visual/sonic energy. I can put 20 Son Volt songs together from 4 or 5 of their albums on a playlist and play them as I drive around town running errands, and it is significantly more entertaining than going to see Son Volt play those same 20 songs.

Yea, the Big Sur album was a bright spot in long line of uninspired albums. Admittedly I have not listened to every single Jay Farrar album of late, but that one has stood out for me.  My last time seeing Son Volt was at the Vic a few years back.  I stood on the floor for awhile, went and sat with a friend in the balcony for awhile and while I wasn't going to bail early (I may have though) I couldn't wait for the show to be over. 

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

I think once he got rid of Heywood and the Boquist brothers Jay has yet to capture what most of us liked years ago. I'm a big fan but was pretty disappointed when I saw SV a couple of years ago. Said 3 words and pretty much ignored his back catalog. Windfall, Drown and Tear Stained Eye (which are classics IMHO). Everything else from the new one which are slow depressing numbers. I know he's not Tweedy but acknowledge the fans like every other artist does. I've just been able to listen again. A little rant because they were so good. And came off as a jerk referring to tweedy as the 'bass player' in his book. He should check out a Jayhawks show and take some notes on how to treat the people who paid $$. They're happy to be on stage and act genuine. Ok I'll stop.

• 4 months later...

Saw Jay solo last night with Gary Hunt.  Saw him solo in 2003.  Both times were amazing.  Seeing him more up close it's clear he's totally into what he's doing.  A less than stellar singer/songwriter opened up…when Jay came on it was like the room just lit up.  It's amazing how some people have such talent.  His songwriting is excellent.  Anyway, good time.

• 1 month later...

It's anniversary re-issue season:

It's been 20 years!!!! Trace was originally released on September 19, 1995. On October 30, 2015, Rhino will release Trace: 20th Anniversary Edition to include remastered original tracks, demos, an 18-track 1996 live performance from NYC's The Bottom Line and liner notes from No Depression's Peter Blackstock. Also, on the same day, Rhino will re-issue the original album on 180-gram vinyl.

Jay Farrar and Gary Hunt will perform the songs of Trace with Son Volt's original pedal steel player, Eric Heywood!!! These tour dates will be officially announced on Tuesday, August 11 and will go on sale on Friday, August 14!!!! Mark your calendar!

9/20 - 3rd & Lindsley - Nashville, TN (Americana Music Fest)
10/28 - The Birchmere - Alexandria, VA
10/29 - Ardmore Music Hall - Ardmore, PA
10/30 - City Winery - New York, NY
12/2 - Troubadour - Los Angeles, CA
12/3 - Slim's - San Francisco, CA
12/5 - Aladdin Theatre - Portland, OR
12/6 - Tractor Tavern - Seattle, WA

Holy Sons (Emil Amos) will open 10/28-30.

Jay Farrar is also playing in Winter Haven, FL at the Gram Parsons festival in October. I might go to that, bit of a drive, but I've never seen Jay. Though after going through this thread and seeing everyone say he's bad live, maybe not.

To be honest was probably just going to get drunk and shout out obnoxious requests for Uncle Tupelo songs, probably all Jeff ones too.

Jay Farrar is also playing in Winter Haven, FL at the Gram Parsons festival in October. I might go to that, bit of a drive, but I've never seen Jay. Though after going through this thread and seeing everyone say he's bad live, maybe not.

To be honest was probably just going to get drunk and shout out obnoxious requests for Uncle Tupelo songs, probably all Jeff ones too.

:lol

I've seen him once, in Tampa, and he delivered a very measured but ultimately boring show. I think he's good at what he does, but he was as dull as a box of old hammers. Looked like he really would rather be anywhere else, too.

Enjoy the tour, folks! YMMV

Also,that Winter Haven show is $100. He would have to play in my house and let me choose the set list before I'd pay that.

:lol

I've seen him once, in Tampa, and he delivered a very measured but ultimately boring show. I think he's good at what he does, but he was as dull as a box of old hammers. Looked like he really would rather be anywhere else, too.

Enjoy the tour, folks! YMMV

Yeah, if I recall we discussed him for a bit at SS before Mac DeMarco and you told me he's not so good live. Guess you won't be heading east to Winter Haven!

Also,that Winter Haven show is $100. He would have to play in my house and let me choose the set list before I'd pay that.

Nevermind then. 100 bucks is entirely too much money for a Jay Farrar solo show, or is that for the whole Gram Parsons fest thing? Almost as much as Solid Sound tix costs.

Nevermind then. 100 bucks is entirely too much money for a Jay Farrar solo show, or is that for the whole Gram Parsons fest thing? Almost as much as Solid Sound tix costs.

This what you get for $100. I have changed my mind and bought 2 tickets now that i know that the Toni Brown Band opens.

GRAM PARSONS DERRY DOWN FUNDRAISER    

Doors Open 6pm Cocktails & Bites will be served, Toni Brown Band starts at 7pm.  Jay Farrar  takes the stage at 8pm,  Ticket $100.