One of my buddies and his brother were traveling in NYC and caught Son Volt there. Said it was one of the worst shows he's ever seen -- Jay was totally disengaged, said five words the whole night, looked like he'd rather be anywhere than onstage playing music.

Strange encounter: An hour or so before the show, my friend and his brother were grabbing a beer across the street from the venue and spotted Jay in the alley taking pictures of trash with his cell phone. They left the bar and went over to talk with him. According to my buddy, Jay seemed either A) completely high or B) like he'd just woken up from a nap, because it took him about 15 seconds to respond to everything they said to him, and he just had this glazed look on his face the whole time. They explained how they'd come all the way from Kansas to New York to see the show, to which he replied, "Kansas..." and then said nothing more. And then when they asked him if they could take a pic, he said, "Pic?" My friend had to explain that "pic" meant picture. They took the photo, wished him well on the gig and went back to the bar. 

Even weirder: My buddy and his brother are in the audience, waiting for the show to start. They're right in front of the stage. They meet a hardcore Son Volt fan, who tells them how she's seen them 20 times, traveled all over for concerts, etc. Said the one thing she wishes she could get was a setlist, but Jay apparently is adamant about people not getting them -- she told them to just watch what he does at the end of the performance. So the show goes on, they see the setlist taped to the floor of the stage right in front of them the whole time. The show ends, the band walks off, Jay waves and begins walking off. He gets about 10 steps away, stops, turns around, comes back and pulls the setlist off the floor and walks offstage.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my buddies and his brother were traveling in NYC and caught Son Volt there. Said it was one of the worst shows he's ever seen -- Jay was totally disengaged, said five words the whole night, looked like he'd rather be anywhere than onstage playing music.

Strange encounter: An hour or so before the show, my friend and his brother were grabbing a beer across the street from the venue and spotted Jay in the alley taking pictures of trash with his cell phone. They left the bar and went over to talk with him. According to my buddy, Jay seemed either A) completely high or B) like he'd just woken up from a nap, because it took him about 15 seconds to respond to everything they said to him, and he just had this glazed look on his face the whole time. They explained how they'd come all the way from Kansas to New York to see the show, to which he replied, "Kansas..." and then said nothing more. And then when they asked him if they could take a pic, he said, "Pic?" My friend had to explain that "pic" meant picture. They took the photo, wished him well on the gig and went back to the bar. 

Even weirder: My buddy and his brother are in the audience, waiting for the show to start. They're right in front of the stage. They meet a hardcore Son Volt fan, who tells them how she's seen them 20 times, traveled all over for concerts, etc. Said the one thing she wishes she could get was a setlist, but Jay apparently is adamant about people not getting them -- she told them to just watch what he does at the end of the performance. So the show goes on, they see the setlist taped to the floor of the stage right in front of them the whole time. The show ends, the band walks off, Jay waves and begins walking off. He gets about 10 steps away, stops, turns around, comes back and pulls the setlist off the floor and walks offstage.

Wow. That is so strange. Seeing them tonight. Will report back on how the gig is. I've never really read anything about Farrar taking drugs so that's really surprising. 

Wow. That is so strange. Seeing them tonight. Will report back on how the gig is. I've never really read anything about Farrar taking drugs so that's really surprising. 

I haven't heard that either. I know he's not the most exciting guy, but five words? "Hey New York," and "thanks guys," were all he had to say to the audience.

That's just the way he is. I met him backstage after a show in 2001, and that is pretty much how he was then.  I've seen photos of him in recent years with fans and he is smiling.

Dylan says even less.

He's Bob Dylan. He used to say more, back when he was young. Now that he is old he doesn't have to talk.  Besides Dylan has written hundreds of great songs, Jay Farrar has written the same okay song over and over again. 

LouieB

He's Bob Dylan. He used to say more, back when he was young. Now that he is old he doesn't have to talk. Besides Dylan has written hundreds of great songs, Jay Farrar has written the same okay song over and over again.

LouieB

:lol

Point taken.

I figured it had more to do with conserving one's voice, but who knows?

So tonight at the Son Volt show a girl decided to stand right behind me and talk to her friend in the most annoying screech. In between songs she would scream "Mystifies Me!!!!" at Jay. THEN when he refused to acknowledge her (because he usually ignores those drunken requests almost 100% of the time), the idiot girl JUMPED ON THE STAGE! No joke. Jay had his back to her and the bass player Andrew said "What the f- GO AWAY, shoo" and the idiot girl went off stage with this dejected look. Hopefully she got kicked out. Matt and I were dumbfounded that this entitled lady would do that.

It was a good, albeit, short show. They cut at least 7 songs out after the stage crasher lady. We were even home before midnight. I was a little disappointed. The bright spots were a bunch of "Trace" songs and stuff from Okemah. The new stuff sounded really good too. I was able to get Jay's pick thanks to a really nice tech, and Andrew Duplantis took my copy of Jay's memoirs to the green room and he signed it.

Strange night though. Even before doors the people lined up were really weird. I guess hardcore Son Volt fans aren't as nice as us Wilco fans.

Strange night

Yeah, saw them a couple of weeks ago in Madison: the only show I can think of where I was bored enough that I left early.

I think the issue was playing country in such a serious manner. That applies to both the band and the fans in the front half of the place, it all seemed so serious for sounding like a 50s country bar. I remember listening to my grandmother sit in on a few songs at a country restaurant and everyone enjoyed themselves. At the Son Volt show, it felt like both audience & band seemed to be up for "serious art."

Well, in the front at least. In the rear, everyone settled down for a good chat after the first few songs. Not that I am condoning talking at a concert, but it seemed like mutual unspoken agreement that the music was a bit boring and everyone could catch up with friends.

I did hear that the second part of the show picked up.

So tonight at the Son Volt show a girl decided to stand right behind me and talk to her friend in the most annoying screech. In between songs she would scream "Mystifies Me!!!!" at Jay. THEN when he refused to acknowledge her (because he usually ignores those drunken requests almost 100% of the time), the idiot girl JUMPED ON THE STAGE! No joke. Jay had his back to her and the bass player Andrew said "What the f- GO AWAY, shoo" and the idiot girl went off stage with this dejected look. Hopefully she got kicked out. Matt and I were dumbfounded that this entitled lady would do that.

It was a good, albeit, short show. They cut at least 7 songs out after the stage crasher lady. We were even home before midnight. I was a little disappointed. The bright spots were a bunch of "Trace" songs and stuff from Okemah. The new stuff sounded really good too. I was able to get Jay's pick thanks to a really nice tech, and Andrew Duplantis took my copy of Jay's memoirs to the green room and he signed it.

Strange night though. Even before doors the people lined up were really weird. I guess hardcore Son Volt fans aren't as nice as us Wilco fans.

I'm sure this stuff wasn't funny at the time, but reading about it is pretty funny.

Now your friends can yell "Mystifies Me!" at you and always get a classic dirty look in return.

• 5 weeks later...

Saw SV last Friday and it was a damn fine show. The new songs sounded great mixed in with the older ones. Band is top notch; able to handle country twang and rockers with equal skill. Closing with Chicamonga was quite impressive (with Jay playing the screeching lead).

Opening band Colonel Ford was just Son Volt minus Jay. Played some great classic country covers. 

Well, lead on the one song anyway (and the New Multitudes song). Mostly lead was played by one fellow who was phenomenal (sorry don;t know his name; toured with Jay during 'solo' acoustic tour as well).

• 5 months later...

Got a notice from the City Winery mailing list in Chicago that Jay Farrar's playing 2 solo dates here in April.  Looks like some other towns too. Bought a ticket for the Friday Chicago show.  Thought it was worth giving a heads-up to others who might want to see him solo.  http://www.jayfarrar.net/tour/

City Winery's kind of a classy room with cheap tickets (like $25) and an expensive and fancy menu, and they try to get you in there early to run up a hefty food and beverage tab.  Had some pork belly with mole last time I was there (seeing Calexico) that I still have dreams about.  Mmmmm.  Mole.

Got a notice from the City Winery mailing list in Chicago that Jay Farrar's playing 2 solo dates here in April. Looks like some other towns too. Bought a ticket for the Friday Chicago show. Thought it was worth giving a heads-up to others who might want to see him solo. http://www.jayfarrar.net/tour/

City Winery's kind of a classy room with cheap tickets (like $25) and an expensive and fancy menu, and they try to get you in there early to run up a hefty food and beverage tab. Had some pork belly with mole last time I was there (seeing Calexico) that I still have dreams about. Mmmmm. Mole.

Seeing jay at the NYC city winery in feb. Got front row for $30