• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much money is it actually going to raise? It seems so odd. $100 to see what i assume is a local band and a somewhat obscure Americana legend. In Winter Haven, Florida. Most of the people in the Orlando area having an interest in seeing Jay Farrar, are likely to not be interested in paying $100. Yes, it's for charity, to restore a building that was one of Gram Parsons' first venues. A noble pursuit, but again, how much interest? Best of luck to them and I hope they raise all of the money they need. It just seems poorly conceived.

I've seen SV twice and Jay "solo" twice (once with Mark Spencer and once with Gary Hunt).

I certainly understand the "boring" rap.  All the shows had spots where they lagged, in part because so many Jay songs have similar tempos and melodies that they get a little repetitive when played all in a row.  The fact that Jay doesn't talk much doesn't help.

But all four shows also had moments of pure magic, and I'll never get tired of hearing Windfall live.   Looking forward to the Birchmere show.  It'll be interesting to see if they really start out with Trace in its entirety, since Windfall has been in the encore for just about every other show these past several years.  I hope he mixes up the rest of the setlist, but you never know.

But all four shows also had moments of pure magic, and I'll never get tired of hearing Windfall live. 

I agree - there are moments of pure magic in a SV show. I saw them on the tours for each of the first two albums, and there were 3-4 moments in each show that were excellent. It was just the other 90 minutes that were dull. If someone handed me a ticket to a SV show today, I'd go to hear those 3-4 moments of pure magic. I just wouldn't pay for it. But I can see how others may really like it, because he is faithful to the original versions. And Trace is a really solid record.

Has anyone mentioned that Trace is being reissued?

LouieB

Yes. The reissue is worth getting. I'm excited but why do shows commemorating the 20th anniversary of Trace as an acoustic trio? Yes very cool that Eric Heywood is part of it but Jay and Gary Hunt? No Son Volt, whatever the version? Trace was clearly a band album. He's an odd dude.

Track list:

The 2 CD track listing:

TRACK LISTING:
Disc One 1. "Windfall" 2. "Live Free" 3. "Tear Stained Eye" 4. "Route" 5. "Ten Second News" 6. "Drown" 7. "Loose String" 8. "Out Of The Picture" 9. "Catching On" 10. "Too Early" 11. "Mystifies Me" 12. "Route" -Acoustic Demo* 13. "Drown" - Demo* 14. "Out Of The Picture" - Demo* 15. "Loose String" - Demo* 16. "Live Free" - Demo* 17. "Too Early" - Demo* 18. "Catching On" - Demo* 19. "Windfall" - Demo*
Disc Two: Live from Bottom Line 2/12/96 1. "Route"* 2. "Loose String"* 3. "Catching On"* 4. "Live Free"* 5. "Anodyne"* 6. "Windfall"* 7. "Slate"* 8. "Out of the Picture"* 9. "Tear Stained Eye"* 10. "True to Life"* 11. "Cemetery Savior"* 12. "Ten Second News"* 13. "Fifteen Keys"* 14. "Drown"* 15. "Looking For a Way Out"* 16. "Chickamauga"* 17. "Too Early"* 18. "Looking at the World Through a Windshield" - Del Reeves cover*

I love Jay solo.  There's only two artists that keep me absolutely captivated live, Neil Young and Jay Farrar.  

I really wish I'd seen SV 1.0-Too bad he can't pull that together for the anniversary.  That show would sell.

I think they had a falling out about money the last time around.

What are the Boquist Brothers doing?  I bet they wanted the same or more slice of the pie given that they and Jay WERE the Son Volt sound.

Yeah, after they reunited for the Escovedo tribute album, they decided to really get back together but it all fell apart over different ideas on pay from Jay.

St. Genevive can hold up the water, but saints don't bother, with a boring live show.

BTW at some '90s solo show Jeff sings the first line of that song as a joke, think it's '98 or '97. Can't for the life of me remember the date.

"Tear Stained Eye" is a fucking brilliant song. Just gorgeous.

And that entire album is a masterpiece.

Yeah, after they reunited for the Escovedo tribute album, they decided to really get back together but it all fell apart over different ideas on pay from Jay.

Yeah, really sucks.  I'd like to have seen what they would've done with the SV 2.0 stuff.  

Trace is at least one of the best albums of the 90s…at least.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone heard the re-master yet? I am curious about the sound before I go buy it. I say that as I recently got burned on the Old 97s Too Far To Care re-master. That thing sounds like someone went through the brick wall with the treble turned up almost all the way.

I have it on CD, and the remaster is fine.  It doesn't sound much different from the original, but at least it's not offensive like some others.  The demos are interesting early takes on some of the Trace songs, but the live show is what makes the package really worthwhile.  It's a much better sounding show than the other live material he's put out lately from the same period (Artifacts and Son Volt 1999).  I think it's worth getting, but I'm a sucker for these things.

Has anyone heard the re-master yet? I am curious about the sound before I go buy it. I say that as I recently got burned on the Old 97s Too Far To Care re-master. That thing sounds like someone went through the brick wall with the treble turned up almost all the way.

I've heard the digital version.  It's legions better than Too Far To Care re-master.  I can't say much new comes to light but the sound certainly feels updated.

And the bonus material is really fantastic, especially the live show.

Full disclosure: Trace is one of my three favorite albums of all time and I might not be objective about the reissue.

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard the digital version.  It's legions better than Too Far To Care re-master.  I can't say much new comes to light but the sound certainly feels updated.

And the bonus material is really fantastic, especially the live show.

Full disclosure: Trace is one of my three favorite albums of all time and I might not be objective about the reissue.

I'd say this re-master sounds great.  I have to say Tear Stained Eye still brings a tear to my eye.

I'd say this re-master sounds great.  I have to say Tear Stained Eye still brings a tear to my eye.

Tear Stained Eye and Windfall are two of the greatest songs of all time.  I remember hearing that album and just being floored at how good it was. I was still in a classic rock/Deadhead phase and hadn't paid attention to much new music so it was exciting to discover them.  Really really too bad the Boquist brothers aren't with Jay anymore.  

• 3 months later...