I purchased the below from Jay's website last night - haven't listened to it though. Looking forward to it - I don't think I have any live Son Volt with the original line up. Waiting for my copy of Honkey Tonk to come via Amazon - none of my local stores are stocking it - the bastards.

LIVE DIGITAL DOWNLOAD: 'ARTIFACTS'
artifacts-cvr.news%20large.jpg

Out now is a collection of live recordings hand-picked from the Son Volt vault.  Artifacts was recorded in 1998-99 and features the original Son Volt lineup. This is a digital-only release available in mp3 or flac (lossless) formats.  

SON VOLT
Artifacts
(Transmit Sound ©2013)

TRACK LISTING:

01. Windfall
02. Back Into Your World
03. Dead Man's Clothes
04. Tear Stained Eye
05. No More Parades
06. Driving the View
07. Carry You Down
08. I Got a Right
09. Chickamauga

Jay Farrar - vocal, acoustic and electric guitar
Dave Boquist - electric guitar, violin, fiddle
Jim Boquist - backing vocal, bass
Mike Heidorn - drums

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased the below from Jay's website last night - haven't listened to it though. Looking forward to it - I don't think I have any live Son Volt with the original line up. Waiting for my copy of Honkey Tonk to come via Amazon - none of my local stores are stocking it - the bastards.

I think I would actually be more interested in this than in the new one. Kind of assuming that some of it rocks.

As I have said before - all the record stores are gone here where I live. I have not bought a new cd in a record store in many years now. Recently, I learned that there is an FYE at the mall here. I think I use to know that, but seldom ever go to the mall so I forgot about it.

I went there today to pick-up the new Hendrix, which I figured they would have. They did. And then I remembered the new Son Volt cd was out. So I looked around. No luck. Since FYE is a chain place, the person behind the counter kept coming over to me every few minutes and bugging me. I finally asked her about the new Son Volt. She gave me a funny look, and dashed back behind the counter to her fancy computer. She then told me they didn't have it, but she could "burn me a copy." I asked her what kind of BS was that all about. She didn't like that. I told her - I am old and have to have the real deal in my hands. I was at Target a little while later, and they didn't have it either. Amazon it is. I may check Wal-Mart, but I think they are phasing out cds, so I doubt they have it.

On the plus side, I found a used copy of DP Volume 4 for 20 bucks. I think it is odd that a chain place sells used cds, but I snagged that thing up right quick. I can only hope it's not all scratched to hell and back.

I should be able to get to listen to the live set, Artifacts - tonight or tomorrow --- for some dorky reason I am waiting for Honky Tonk, so I can listened to them back to back.

A-Man - nice fine on the DP 4, I think it may be favorite.

And Lou - I am officially living the  "american dream" (not really) and moved to the burbs (Flossmoor) -- I haven't found any good record stores in the area.

Best Buy's are my best bet --- the dumb thing, is that Best Buy website states that two of the nearest stores to me have copies of Honky Tonk, but when I went to the actual stores, the cd was no where to be found in either store.

It seems Rounder does not have much of a distribution system. Or is it that these stores are just not going to carry any cds unless the artists is real popular and well known.

We have a Best Buy and a Barnes and Noble here where I live. If Barnes and Noble has it, the cd is probably 20 bucks. I didn't bother checking either one of those places. Maybe I should have.

And Lou - I am officially living the  "american dream" (not really) and moved to the burbs (Flossmoor) -- I haven't found any good record stores in the area.

Best Buy's are my best bet --- the dumb thing, is that Best Buy website states that two of the nearest stores to me have copies of Honky Tonk, but when I went to the actual stores, the cd was no where to be found in either store.

Whoa man, now it is going to be harder to get you up for stuff in the city. Sorry to hear that on one level, but totally understand. 

Regarding the lack of distribution of CDs/LPs; this is why they invented the internet. Everything is available for sale there.  REmember lots of folks selling stuff on the interenet are small time vendors and stores, so patronizing then is prefectly okay.

LouieB

The Onion A/V club gives Farrar's memoir a big, fat D.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/jay-farrar-falling-cars-and-junkyard-dogs,93492/

I must have missed something here, because I was unaware the guy wrote a memoir.  The question at this stage is why?  He is not even 50 yet I don't believe.  He is not a big charismatic music star either.  I could see it if he had a huge career with millions of adoring fans just waiting to hear a word or two from him.  But this is a guy who only sells a moderate amount of records, won't talk on stage, and doesn't have much of an act other than playing guitar and singing. He has no disenable health or drug problems and is incredibly boring in most respects. 

The fact that he won't discuss Uncle Tupelo is also ridiculous.

LouieB

Agreed 100%. Surely he figured a lot of people might want to pick this up because it would be chock-full of Uncle Tupelo goodies. I'm glad I read this before I considered buying it -- because that's what I would like to have read. It's my understanding Jeff and Jay have spoken every now and then over the years, but don't really do much beyond that. It at least sounded like they were cordial, so I think it's a total chicken sh*t move for him to simply refer to Tweedy as "the bass player" in the few Uncle Tupelo mentions in the book.

• 1 month later...

I just caught Son volt live in Asheville the other night, and it was great.  Anyone on the fence about seeing them should definitely go: probably the best show I've seen them play (my 7th jay-related show). The show is heavy on newer material but it's great to hear those new songs in the live setting.  Jay was engaged with the audience and the band was having a blast.  The opener, Col. Ford, is just Son Volt minus Jay playing old honky tonk covers, which was a total blast.  

Just listen to half of StuStu's recording (nice recording and thanks for uploading -StuStu) of the Asheville show this morning - definitely sounded good. I think I pass on the show with Glen and see Son Volt when the come through Chicago in June. Playing the Park West for $25 - nice price, great venue.

And with regards to the Artifacts download - I would recommend it highly - definitely rocking and Jay's sounds great. Decent sounding, too.

Yeah, I mean he didn't like go all out and tell a bunch of jokes, stories and shit, but he acknowledged the crowd verbally on more than one occasion, generally talked between songs, talked about the Orange peel, and had a few other quips here and there.  He seemed to be "there" and into it, if that makes any sense.  I've seen him before where it seemed he really didn't care to be there and was completely disengaged.  Heck, he even smiled some the other night.  He seemed more comfortable the other night.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Save some dough if you're thinking of buying this:

"Honky Tonk" is available for $5, digital download, from Amazon through May 15th.

http://www.amazon.com/Honky-Tonk-Son-Volt/dp/B00B00HSUO/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_1

I'll wait until the discs start showing up for $.01 on Amazon.

• 1 month later...

This is funny:

Well, maybe "happy" isn't exactly the right word, because no one has ever accused Farrar of being a happy guy.

I think the new album is great. I don't buy many albums, these days, let alone new albums. And I have been playing the new one quite a bit.

I didn't think it was too scathing - just ho-hum --- kinda like the show I saw in Chicago a couple of weeks ago - the new album is decent enough, but I like American Central Dust better - though, I guess it's kinda hard to compare the two.

I do agree with below - Edwards seem completely bored in Chicago. Plus, I mistakenly thought it was Bryson on the drums in Chicago - actually I feel better knowing it wasn't.

And while drummer Jay Edwards didn't exactly push the band's sound into overdrive — except during the cowbell-fueled "Drown" — he did keep the songs moving forward at a proper pace

Edited by calvino