I have a special power.  I can make a comment anywhere on the web about Jay Farrar and Cortez will immediately respond.  Luckily, I try to wield this power for the good of all musical criticism and against all alt.country sacred cows.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems like this is a jay solo record.  band really wasn't in the studio.  too bad.  jay needs a band.  i really liked ACD.  Jay has kind of lost the gruff in his voice and tends to sing off key these days.  that being said, he can still write a good song.  definitely want to hear this.  goofy title though.

how is this a jay solo record when mark spencer, gary hunt, and dave bryson were all in the studio?

how is the title goofy? To me, it seems pretty clear what kind of record jay wanted to make.

how is this a jay solo record when mark spencer, gary hunt, and dave bryson were all in the studio?

how is the title goofy? To me, it seems pretty clear what kind of record jay wanted to make.

i'm just thinking back to the first three albums when the boquist brothers added a lot of parts to the songs to really take them to the next level.  these last two records seem to be jay tunes with a backing band.  i'm curious how the new guitarist will fit in.  this is not an anomalous opinion btw.  no one talks about son volt here much any more, jay's board is all but dead and may folks here have said that they lost track of farrar after the second or third SV album.

as far as the title goes, i just don't see jay as a honky-tonk artist a la dwight or buck.   as i said, will be interesting to here how this comes out.  the songs i've seen on youtube don't sound too honky-tonk to me and more along the lines of the last album.

Two?  There's three - Okemah, The Search, & American Central Dust.  The Boquist brothers have been out of the picture (no pun intended) for over a decade.  Most band message boards are "dead" these days.  Not sure what a message board has to do with the quality of an artist's output.

As far as the title goes, I'm guessing it's Jay Farrar's take on honky tonk.  Maybe he didn't get the memo that only Dwight & Buck were certified to play that style of music.

I know you enjoy criticizing "sacred cows of alt.country," but at least know what the fuck you are talking about.  Many of your complaints are not accurate and you come off as very trollish.

Two?  There's three - Okemah, The Search, & American Central Dust.  The Boquist brothers have been out of the picture (no pun intended) for over a decade.  Most band message boards are "dead" these days.  Not sure what a message board has to do with the quality of an artist's output.

As far as the title goes, I'm guessing it's Jay Farrar's take on honky tonk.  Maybe he didn't get the memo that only Dwight & Buck were certified to play that style of music.

I know you enjoy criticizing "sacred cows of alt.country," but at least know what the fuck you are talking about.  Many of your complaints are not accurate and you come off as very trollish.

You missed my point.  I was referring to ACD and HT...the two most recent albums. To me, and many others, Son Volt seemed like a band with the Boquist brothers.  There seems to be less collaboration in son volt v2.0 

Read this thread.  You are the one that comes off as a troll.  I don't know what your problem is dude, but you need to chill out.  This is the third time we've had to agree to disagree.  The last time you got sanctioned.  So just stop bullying.  My comments are no more trollish or inflammatory than the current discussion of the most recent Loose Fur album where folks are posting that they think it's the last great thing Tweedy has done.  

Why is anyone uptight about any negativity about Jay Farrar?  I bear him no ill will, but much of his recent work is uninspiring to many people.  I have not even bought his last couple albums because much of the stuff prior to that wasn't that thrilling (to me at least) and I don't see any need to keep supporting him.  I take that back. I did buy some of  his collaborative albums which were pretty fair.  Trying to buy every single album by Jay  may not be something most of us need to do anymore.  With the reissue of UT's calalogue on both CD and LP as well as the UT singles, I think we all are supporting Jay pretty well. 

This seems like a pointless argument really.

LouieB

Why is anyone uptight about any negativity about Jay Farrar?  I bear him no ill will, but much of his recent work is uninspiring to many people.  I have not even bought his last couple albums because much of the stuff prior to that wasn't that thrilling (to me at least) and I don't see any need to keep supporting him.  I take that back. I did buy some of  his collaborative albums which were pretty fair.  Trying to buy every single album by Jay  may not be something most of us need to do anymore.  With the reissue of UT's calalogue on both CD and LP as well as the UT singles, I think we all are supporting Jay pretty well. 

This seems like a pointless argument really.

LouieB

i didn't know the UT stuff was reissued on vinyl.  i may have to pick up Anodyne.  great album.  i always wondered what the next album would've been like if the band hadn't broken up.  Drown after I Must Be High would've been an interesting sequence.  

i didn't know the UT stuff was reissued on vinyl.  i may have to pick up Anodyne.  great album.  i always wondered what the next album would've been like if the band hadn't broken up.  Drown after I Must Be High would've been an interesting sequence.  

Anodyne came out several years ago and the others just last year on Record Store Day.  The box set of the singles was supposed to be limit, but seems like it is still around.

LouieB

I saw multiple copies of the 3 RSD Uncle Tupelo vinyls in the clearance rack the other day at one of the local stores.  I've picked them all up since last RSD during sales and such...I don't think I've paid more that $15 for any of them.  I really want the 7" box set and I really should pick it up: I've seen it for around $20 on the 'net.

That's a good price. Go for it. 

The demand for some of the RSD merch isn't what was expected.  The hype surrounding it will continue for awhile until it becomes obvious that the value of this stuff we are buying isn't really that high.

LouieB

I've turned pretty sour towards RSD: bunch of over-hyped crap that I probably will never listen to with any sort of regularity and those releases will occupy space on my shelves for ages before I'll listen to them again.  But, I am the sucker who buys the crap.  In fact, the UT reissues are the only RSD things that I ever spin with any type of normalcy.

I've turned pretty sour towards RSD: bunch of over-hyped crap that I probably will never listen to with any sort of regularity and those releases will occupy space on my shelves for ages before I'll listen to them again.  But, I am the sucker who buys the crap.  In fact, the UT reissues are the only RSD things that I ever spin with any type of normalcy.

The UT reissues aren't really RSD stuff since they are still in print.  When I realized this I didn't buy them, although I still need to. 

LouieB

what's ironic about record store day is that there's a contingent of folks who don't go precisely because of the crowds and the extra stuff  :headbonk

interesting point that the RSD stuff is not appreciating in value.  

on a cool note, my favorite record store that closed in 09 just reopened in a better spot.  only problem is, he's only selling vinyl!  i still like to get CDs too, so hopefully he'll expand at some point.  just such a cool guy.  so glad he's back.  maybe this is all turning around to some sort of balance point.

on a cool note, my favorite record store that closed in 09 just reopened in a better spot.  only problem is, he's only selling vinyl!  i still like to get CDs too, so hopefully he'll expand at some point.  just such a cool guy.  so glad he's back.  maybe this is all turning around to some sort of balance point.

Well we have highjacked this one good. 

So okay, the record stores are going all vinyl because it is hip and profitable and CDs are unhip and not profitable. So just as soon as vinyl wanes there will be a resurgence of CDs (trust me it will happen) and they will have to adjust. But at this point you can get anything you want (CD wise) on Amazon from the dealers, so the local hip vinyl stores just aren't going to carry product that doesn't move. 

LouieB