It was a surprisingly great show last night. I was about 10 feet back in front of the guitarist, James Walbourne. Contrary to other reviews, I thought he was the absolute highlight of the show. He filled in with tasty licks and some searing solos. For the first half of the show, the songs were really getting going during the outros, but Jay would stop them after just a minute or two. Those endings could have gone on for another few minutes and really gone places. But Jay kept stopping them abruptly. A few fans around me were yelling to Jay to keep the jams going and "Let them play." It was as if he wanted to keep the focus on himself and the lyrics, not so much the nstrumentation.

During the last 10 songs or so, he slowly let the band loose with some great jamming. Song by song, the jams got a little bit longer and more intense. Jay has dozens of incredible songs. He should let the band fly without restraints and take these songs to other levels. Let them explore.

This review of the Philly show (http://blogs.delawareonline.com/pulpculture/?p=5123) has it right about Walbourne:

>Even though there were plenty of gentle moments wrapped around the steel guitar throughout the night, the biggest surprise came when the band turned up the volume led by Walbourne, who reminded me of a dog on a too-short leash. His manic guitar took Farrar into some explosive territory — especially on “Afterglow 61″ — territory Farrar hasn’t been in since the implosion of Uncle Tupelo, the band he shared with Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy.

Walbourne is a rising star, and I bet SV is just a stop along the way up. Jay has a comet by its tail.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a review of the Irving show from Popmatters. Says Chris Masterston is the guitarist.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/111754-son-volt-17-september-2009-fillmore-at-irving-plaza-new-yor/

popmatters is wrong

masterson left the band after the first leg of the tour and was replaced by walbourne

chris got married a few weeks ago (to the extremely talented fiddle player eleanor whitmore) and is back in new york creating his own great music

walbourne also plays with the pretenders, by the way

he is a beast

grow up

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but for what it's worth, I wanted to apologize for being an asshole in this public forum. It was ridiculous. I made assumptions and created unnecessary animosity. I am very sorry.

Peace-

Craig (Rider)

Saw 'em last night at Pearl Street in Northampton. Lots of energy and sounded very tight. Walbourne has acclimated very well on short notice. My only complaint is it was difficult to hear Jay's vocals. Otherwise, the boys brought it. They tore through a blistering "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way" to end the evening.

does the search seem to be really compressed recording? i finally got the 'bonus' tracks on itunes and they get all distorted at high volumes. anyone else notice this? it may be my earphones. okemah was produced well, as was ACD,

I saw the show last night in Boston and, I dunno, it was fine but I wasn't blown away. I still love Farrar's voice, the band was tight, and I thought Walbourne sounded good but as my friend said as we left "they've got the whole mid-tempo thing down pat." The show was solid but there were not a lot of great moments. (But certainly one of them was the closing "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way.")

There was one funny moment where Farrar said something like "we're going to play an old one next." Somebody shouted something which I couldn't hear but I assume was an Uncle Tupelo song. Farrar smirked and said "not THAT old" and then played a Gob Iron song.

I saw the show last night in Boston and, I dunno, it was fine but I wasn't blown away. I still love Farrar's voice, the band was tight, and I thought Walbourne sounded good but as my friend said as we left "they've got the whole mid-tempo thing down pat." The show was solid but there were not a lot of great moments. (But certainly one of them was the closing "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way.")

I can completely understand where you are coming from. Considering the number of mid-tempo and slower songs that are on American Central Dust, it's not too surprising that this tour isn't blowing people away. And I agree with you on the Waylon cover. Jay and company absolutely kill it.

Walbourne stole the show for me in NYC. If not for him, I wouldn't have made it through half the show. Jay solo would be nearly impossible. That being said, I've been off the SV bus since about '99, and this show has slightly reignited my interest. I'm curious to hear the Kerouac songs he wrote with Ben Gibbard.

There was one funny moment where Farrar said something like "we're going to play an old one next." Somebody shouted something which I couldn't hear but I assume was an Uncle Tupelo song. Farrar smirked and said "not THAT old" and then played a Gob Iron song.

He must like that song, I noticed that he seems to play it every night.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw them last night on a whim. They were pretty great and did play one of the new Kerouac songs. The only complaint I would have, and it's a small one, too many slow tempo songs. Seems like they slowed things down too much. The last 4 or 5 killed.

I hear you. However, considering the album(s) Jay is supporting on this tour, the slower/mid-tempo nature of the current show makes all the sense in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

I bumped into Jay Farrar on my walk home from work yesterday. Nobody I know cares. Then again, nobody I know would recognize him if they walked past him on the street. 13th st and 3rd ave for those of you keeping score at home.

I walked past him, did a double take, stopped, went back, said "not trying to interrupt, just wanted to say hi", he nodded his head and (almost) smiled, and then I kept going.

Bizarro.

I bumped into Jay Farrar on my walk home from work yesterday. Nobody I know cares. Then again, nobody I know would recognize him if they walked past him on the street. 13th st and 3rd ave for those of you keeping score at home.

I walked past him, did a double take, stopped, went back, said "not trying to interrupt, just wanted to say hi", he nodded his head and (almost) smiled, and then I kept going.

Bizarro.

cool. new york?

• 3 weeks later...

Saw Son Volt in Fayetteville, AR a couple of nights ago. It was a good show, but I was surprised by how small the crowd was. There were maybe 200 people there and the band didn't even play in the main room of George's like usual -- they played the extremely small front room, and it wasn't even packed. While it was very cool to be about 6 feet away from one of my musical heroes for the night, it was depressing to see such a poor turn out. Are crowds this far down in other cities on this tour, or was it just our show in NW Arkansas?

Aside from the small crowd, I enjoyed the show. I'm just so-so for the new album, but some of those tracks were outstanding in the live setting. As has been mentioned, the first 2/3 of the show is pretty mellow/mid-tempo....but most Farrar fans aren't too bothered by that at this point. The band sounded fantastic, Mark Spencer's pedel steel and keys were perfect, and James Walbourne is my favorite Son Volt 2.0 guitarist so far. And when they turned the volume up for the last few songs, they blew the roof off of the room. Good times....and I hope they come back to Fayetteville despite the turn out this time!

i think they are playing smaller venues on this tour. they're coming to georgia for the third time this year on thursday night. second time in athens and it's a small venue. i really wish they would up the production value of the show and be a bit more precise and less 'bar band'. would be great to see them in a nice theater with a proper adult crowd...what ever that means :stunned

the philly show a couple months ago was pretty full, mid-size theater type venue

walbourne is a beast. the current band is very very good

my only complaint about son volt live shows is that the set list NEVER varies

so if you saw him a few months ago, some might feel there's no compelling reason to see them the next time they swing around because you're going to get the exact same set

i'll go see 'em anywhere anytime, but i can see where some people wouldn't because you're not going to get anything old (except windfall and tear-stained eye -- no uncle tupelo) and you're not going to get anything different