some guy named Jeff Tweedy said it a few times. Most notably he said that he used to speak into the mic and Farrar would go ballistic

I've seen Uncle Tupelo a few times. Jay let Jeff talk, and sing, into the microphone on all occasions. They seemed to get along quite well at the time. He must have really let him have it after the show, huh?

I've had the pleasure of meeting Jay a few times and he has always been very cordial.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen Uncle Tupelo a few times. Jay let Jeff talk, and sing, into the microphone on all occasions. They seemed to get along quite well at the time. He must have really let him have it after the show, huh?

I've had the pleasure of meeting Jay a few times and he has always been very cordial.

not sure im just repeating what mr tweedy said

not sure im just repeating what mr tweedy said

I haven't read what Tweedy said. I really don't give a good crap about it to be honest. I'm relatively certain it was in context to the fact that they weren't getting along at all. That's water long under the bridge at this point. I'm fairly certain that they, and everyone else in the world, would do things slightly different if given the chance.

Oh, and they aren't going to get back together either.

I haven't read what Tweedy said. I really don't give a good crap about it to be honest. I'm relatively certain it was in context to the fact that they weren't getting along at all. That's water long under the bridge at this point. I'm fairly certain that they, and everyone else in the world, would do things slightly different if given the chance.

Oh, and they aren't going to get back together either.

um OK. sorry about that. I was just responding on the internet

here's the setlist from Saturday!!

The Picture

Feel Free

Down to the Wire

Dust of Daylight

Cocaine and Ashes

When the Wheels Don't Move

Ten Second News

Dynamite

Pushed Too Far

Jukebox of Steel

Methamphetamine

Tear Stained Eye

Strength and Doubt

No Turning Back

Big Sur

Medication

The Search

Buzz and Grind

Bandages & Scars

Afterglow 61

-------------------

Action

Roll On

Windfall

Kat w/ Peter Burntnell on tambourine (I don't know who sang this song originally, but it was a heck of the way to end the show)

Oh yeah, while I was typing the setlist I remember something funny that happened... right when the band came on, the drunks who were immediately to my left started flipping out about Jay. One guy was so excited he hit the monitor wedge and Jay said something like "There's a party going on down here." and the guys freaked out even more prompting Jay to motion with his hands "Let's keep it down there!" and Mark Spencer was kinda baffled by how excited these guys were and said "Easy guys, easy!"... I stood there like this: :dontgetit very bizarre. And, as if Jay's comment was some sort of eerie foreshadowing the drunk dudes had drunk girlfriends too, and one of them decided to get up on stage twice! :lol She was promptly taken off stage by the guitar tech. I never thought I would see a drunk get on stage at a Son Volt show.

Oh, and there was some guy taping, so if any of you guys see a Chattanooga show out there somewhere would you let me know?

Oh, and there was some guy taping, so if any of you guys see a Chattanooga show out there somewhere would you let me know?

I have seen a lot of Son Volt shows popping up over the last few months. It use to be that I never saw any of their shows, and now, there seems to be several of them out there. If the show appears, it will most likely be on bt.etree.org or Dime a Dozen.

...and if by chance, anyone recorded the opener, Peter Bruntnell, I'm way interested in that. Peter has several proper releases from the brilliant Normal For Bridgwater from 1999 to last years' Murder of Crows. Do yourself a favor and check him out. His voice is his greatest asset, second only to his songwriting. There are many folks on this board that would truly like his work.

If anyone is interested in a comp, PM.

...and if by chance, anyone recorded the opener, Peter Bruntnell, I'm way interested in that. Peter has several proper releases from the brilliant Normal For Bridgwater from 1999 to last years' Murder of Crows. Do yourself a favor and check him out. His voice is his greatest asset, second only to his songwriting. There are many folks on this board that would truly like his work.

If anyone is interested in a comp, PM.

yeah, i loved him. he was great, and a super nice guy too!

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to see Son Volt tomorrow, with Massy Ferguson opening. I can't say I've ever heard of Massy.

and who is this Son Volt guy, is he related to Sun Ra?

I figured, what the hell, since I saw one of the band members a few times in the past playing solo.

Wow, all kidding aside, last nights Son Volt show was really great (12/4 - Neumo, Seattle)

25 songs - great sound - good beer - good friends - a fine time was had by all

Massy Furguson had a great drummer - enjoyable warm up.

IMG00017b.jpg

here's the setlist from Saturday!!

The Picture

Feel Free

Down to the Wire

Dust of Daylight

Cocaine and Ashes

When the Wheels Don't Move

Ten Second News

Dynamite

Pushed Too Far

Jukebox of Steel

Methamphetamine

Tear Stained Eye

Strength and Doubt

No Turning Back

Big Sur

Medication

The Search

Buzz and Grind

Bandages & Scars

Afterglow 61

-------------------

Action

Roll On

Windfall

Kat w/ Peter Burntnell on tambourine (I don't know who sang this song originally, but it was a heck of the way to end the show)

I just checked this against the set list I posted in the jpg above. It's almost exactly the same! I'm amazed he writes it out each night, versus a photocopy. Still, it was a fantastic show. He was much better than the other two times I've seen him as a solo act, and frankly, he seemed to be alot happier now.

• 3 years later...

Track list for the new album - Honky Tonk:

1. Hearts and Minds 2. Brick Walls 3. Wild Side 4. Down the Highway 5. Bakersfield 6. Livin On 7. Tears of Change 8. Angel of the Blues 9. Seawall 10. Barricades 11. Shine On

Track list for the new album - Honky Tonk:

Thanks for the update! how did I miss this?

From their web site:

Honky Tonk will be released via Rounder Records on March 5.  The album features eleven new Son Volt songs that are inspired by the classic honky tonk sound of Bakersfield. Bandleader Jay Farrar observes, “Honky tonk music is about heartache, heartbreak, the road.” Honky Tonk stays true to what’s so appealing about honky tonk music, while stretching out its familiar contours into new shapes and spaces.

Farrar sees Honky Tonk as a record moving forward on the path toward a more acoustic-based music that Son Volt took on its last record, 2009’s American Central Dust (also on Rounder). “The record is a continuation of what was happening with American Central Dust,” observes Farrar. “Once again, I didn’t play much if any electric guitar.”

Like American Central Dust, Son Volt recorded Honky Tonk in Farrar’s studio in St. Louis, with Mark Spencer (who also plays bass guitar, pedal steel and keyboards) at the recording helm. Dave Bryson provided drums and other percussion. Most of the songs on Honky Tonk were written in a two-week burst, and many of its compositions mine a more thematic lyrical vein inspired by a traditional country music aesthetic, which Farrar first explored on the band’s previous record.

“I was always averse to using certain words in songs,” recalls Farrar, “including ‘love’ and ‘heart.’ But I started using them on [American Central Dust] and now I guess the floodgates have opened.”

seems like this is a jay solo record.  band really wasn't in the studio.  too bad.  jay needs a band.  i really liked ACD.  Jay has kind of lost the gruff in his voice and tends to sing off key these days.  that being said, he can still write a good song.  definitely want to hear this.  goofy title though.