Jeff Tweedy 1/26/2008

Great show. On close to 8 off after 10:30. Long show. Lots of talking. Lots of music - a great job of playing something from all projects, eras (except Sky Blue Sky). A seated performance at the Vic.

Songs played: Spiders (stopped), The Community Song, Spiders, Gun, Family Garden, Ruling Class, Radio King, Pecan Pie, I Must be High, Pick Up the Change, Passenger Side, I'm the Man Who Loves You, Jesus Etc (clapping), A Shot in the Arm, Pieholden Suite, She's a Jar, Someday Soon, California Stars, Remember the Mountainbed, When the Roses Bloom Again, Be Not so Fearful, Muzzle of Bees, Just a Kid, Cars Can't Escape, Someone Else's song (No PA), Acuff Rose (No PA)

Stories about: bus drivers, the grammy nomination high school reunion snub, trips to Mexico featuring Jay Fahrar, a shout out to a cell phone call, and many thanks to Sue and the school.

Great show. Jeff's son designed the event poster and tshirt which was a nice touch. He did a great job leading this enlarged living room show.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David Puddy

just an incredible show. so glad i forked over the cash. loved the atmosphere and finally got to see jeff solo. the requests were great, heard some stuff i'd definitely never seen live. and had a fantastic seat.

"i must be high" was pretty sweet. i thought. jeff was kind of laughing his way through the rocky brigde parts.

Before the show I was thinking how it'd be cool to see Pieholden Suite or Be Not So Fearful. Was really excited to hear those, especially because I figure'd there would be no way he'd play Pieholden. I thought the accoustic Spiders was fantastic as well.

Considering he wouldn't play it all last year, it sounded really good. I don't know why he hates it on acoustic.

And he did do the leg kick on the bridge.

i was about to say the same thing, he refused to play I Must Be High last year and made someone in the crowd switch their request because he said it was a school function so he wouldnt sing a song about getting high. Lucky you got to hear it. I wish i could've heard that and Family Garden. :music

i was about to say the same thing, he refused to play I Must Be High last year and made someone in the crowd switch their request because he said it was a school function so he wouldnt sing a song about getting high. Lucky you got to hear it. I wish i could've heard that and Family Garden. :music

Given some of the stories/jokes (bubba the bus driver with the cock tattoo, drug jokes, etc.), I don't think the school function thing played into things much last night. :lol Also, apparently Sue is eating raw only now, which Jeff followed up with Pecan Pie.

How was this a "different vibe" than last year? Just curious, I wasn't at last year's event.

I had a great time. Got there around 7:45 and scored some chairs near the back left bar with some of the teachers; just in time as it filled up quickly . A little noisy back there, but all in all a great time. I drank too much. Would have liked to hear I'm Always In Love and Hesitating Beauty, but I can't complain as I didn't get there early to put in my request. Plus there were some nice surprises in the setlist.

Jules

Guest Jesus Etc

I had a blast last night. This was my first live Tweedy/Wilco show and it was an incredible time. The 2 hours and 45 minutes flew by. I was a total dork and sat front and center. Really enjoyed Ruling Class, Man Who Loves You, Thanks I get, Fearful. Could have done without the clapping throughout Jesus, Etc. Oddly, a woman who Tweedy teased after her cell phone rang left the show (in embarrassment?). Only glaring negative was the first few rows were mostly occupied by drunken PTAers. Drunk humor is survivable but drunk PTA humor is brutal. :omg

Yeah, that someone was me.

It was a great show. A surprising number of repeated requests from last year's concert. Seems as though when Jeff asks for requests, people want to hear songs from side projects and cuts that didn't make a Wilco album. I would love to hear a solo show featuring a set list of Jeff's favorites- Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, Golden Smog and Minus Five. Maybe stories relating to his picks, writing, recording, performing stories- his children's critiques. I loved last years interview stories and the bus stories last night.

I found I had an extra ticket last night and asked my sister to come along. My youngest brother and I have given her CDs of most Tweedy projects (I was not sure how much they were played). She was curious- wondered why I'd travel around to catch 6-8 shows each year. So I invited her. She prepped by listening to SBS this week. I was kinda nervous about her reaction- She loved it. She called this morning and while playing her Wilco collection she found she's missing Mermaid 2. Pretty incredible first exposure. Hmmm... The joy of exposing someone to music you love- in the case of Wilco- gets tempered by the realization that you've just added to the competition for tickets.

Given some of the stories/jokes (bubba the bus driver with the cock tattoo, drug jokes, etc.), I don't think the school function thing played into things much last night. :lol Also, apparently Sue is eating raw only now, which Jeff followed up with Pecan Pie.

How was this a "different vibe" than last year? Just curious, I wasn't at last year's event.

I had a great time. Got there around 7:45 and scored some chairs near the back left bar with some of the teachers; just in time as it filled up quickly . A little noisy back there, but all in all a great time. I drank too much. Would have liked to hear I'm Always In Love and Hesitating Beauty, but I can't complain as I didn't get there early to put in my request. Plus there were some nice surprises in the setlist.

Jules

Last year the audience seemed a bit more relaxed but Jeff seemed a bit more nervous, his quips nervous interjections. This year the crowd seemed less interactive- could be my seats. Jeff seemed more rehearsed this year, show seemed a bit more formal. Either way it was a great night.

Here was the full setlist, as best as I could cobble it together through the stories, interruptions, etc. I also have who requested what (when Jeff announced it) in case anyone's interested. I'll probably butcher the spelling of a lot of names, though.

Spiders (Kidsmoke) [started, messed up, stopped]

The Community Song, part 1

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Someday Soon

-Bubba the bus driver story-

Radio King

She's a Jar

The Family Gardener

Cars Can't Escape

The Community Song, part 2

-apology to Aaron (sp?) for not playing On and On and On-

-Grammy/high school reunion story-

Pecan Pie

The Ruling Class

Passenger Side

Just A Kid

A Shot in the Arm

Remember the Mountain Bed

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Muzzle of Bees

Pieholden Suite

The Thanks I Get

-----------intermission/pee break------------

-Jay Farrar story-

California Stars

Jesus, etc.

Pick Up The Change [interrupted by ringing cell phone, eventually completed]

Be Not So Fearful

Airline To Heaven

When The Roses Bloom Again

I Must Be High

Gun

----------------------

Someone Else's Song [performed at edge of stage w/o PA system]

Acuff-Rose [performed at edge of stage w/o PA system]

What was this about?

They and their families apparently were vacationing on the same isolated beach in Mexico a couple of years back, two cabins away from each other. And at least according to Jeff, the person staying in the cabin between them was an Uncle Tupelo fan...ha! :pirate

Guest Jesus Etc
What was this about?

Tweedy takes his family to Mexico periodically and he was recently there with the fam in a secluded part of the Yucatan and two villas down was Farrar and his family. He said the encounter was awkward and consisted of a couple ofn "heys and whats ups" and that was it. Tweedy the said it was just like it was when they were in UT together. The vacationer who had the villa in between the two singers happened to be a big UT fan and, as you can imagine, was going bananas over his "good fortune."

bbop

today, 02:42 PM

They and their families apparently were vacationing on the same isolated beach in Mexico a couple of years back, two cabins away from each other. And at least according to Jeff, the person staying in the cabin between them was an Uncle Tupelo fan...ha! pirate.gif

Jesus Etc' today 02:44 PM

Tweedy takes his family to Mexico periodically and he was recently there with the fam in a secluded part of the Yucatan and two villas down was Farrar and his family. He said the encounter was awkward and consisted of a couple ofn "heys and whats ups" and that was it. Tweedy the said it was just like it was when they were in UT together. The vacationer who had the villa in between the two singers happened to be a big UT fan and, as you can imagine, was going bananas over his "good fortune.

That's some weird karma, right there.

Guest David Puddy
-Jay Farrar story-

that story kind of made me sad. not just because it's jeff & jay and obviously they were a hell of team back in the day, but just the general concept of at one point sharing such an important role in someone else's life and then seeing them ten years later and only being able to say "check ya later".

that story kind of mad me sad. not just because it's jeff & jay and obviously they were a hell of team back in the day, but just the general concept of at one point sharing such an important role in someone else's life and then seeing them ten years later and only being able to say "check ya later".

Well, as you probably know - they had shit go down back in the day, and also, Jay brought it back up - plus some other stuff in an interview in Harp magazine a few years ago.

I have to comment on how great the crowd was. No drunken chatter where I was sitting (5 rows back from the PTA section on the floor, right center...directly behind "Jerry" who requested "Spiders"). My wife also commented on how enjoyable it was that there was no idle chatter during the show. Probably had something to do with the ticket price, $100 must be for serious fans only.

Guest Jesus Etc
that story kind of made me sad. not just because it's jeff & jay and obviously they were a hell of team back in the day, but just the general concept of at one point sharing such an important role in someone else's life and then seeing them ten years later and only being able to say "check ya later".

It's funny that you say that, D Puddy, because the first time I heard that story from Tweedy I couldn't help but think of my best friend throughout high school and college. A couple years into our professional lives we angrily ended our friendship and now go out of our way not to encounter one another. However, as sad as it is, there's nothing left of that friendship in terms of purpose. He contributed to my development and I did to his, too, but the friendship had run its course. Tweedy and Farrar may not be friendly anymore but they share a lot of good memories together. "Reuniting" (for lack of a better word) might feel more like regression than evolution to them.

It was a great show only thing that was a let down was I requested My Words and sadly it did not get played. I got there early enough to be asked and put on the list but oh well. I can't believe how fast the time went. It was good times and I can't wait to see the rest of the band play again.