The Replacements Thread

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy crap is the Ed Stasium mix of Tim brilliant! Give it a listen. It really pops out of the speakers. The keyboards on Here Comes a Regular are throughout the whole song, no just the end. I can see

Oh my this is so much better than I could have ever hoped it would be. This album has always been right at the top for me, the songwriting is that good, but the original production and mix always made

Just here to underline how fantastic the new Tim version is. It's not just that it's way better, it's now one of the best rock and roll mixes I can name: clear, vital, big and energetic. To think that

Shoot for the middle period and you'll be fine!

Top Tier

Let it B

Tim

Pleased to Meet Me

Middle Tier

Sorry Ma

Don't Tell a Soul

Hootenany

Bottom Tier

Stink

All Shook Down

That sounds about right.

That sounds about right.

Wrong.

All Shook Down is a helluva lot better than you're giving it credit for. In fact, I like it better than Don't Tell a Soul.

no, you're wrong.

Sorry. My mommy and daddy taught me right from wrong, so I know!

And you are wrong. And I'm going to tell!

Wrong.

All Shook Down is a helluva lot better than you're giving it credit for. In fact, I like it better than Don't Tell a Soul.

I really find it hard to believe that any replacement fan likes Don't tell a Soul better than any of their releases except maybe stink. It has a few great songs (Talent Show, Achin to Be, You be me) But for the most part when you line up all of the albums and listen, it is the one that asthetically does not fit in. Granted ASD was made largely with studio musicians making it essentially a Westy solo disc, but it still far and away outshines DTAS.

Hearing Don't Tell a Soul was one of the biggest disappointing moments of my music-listening life.

For me, the sloppy playing and look at us were no good at what we do hype does nothing for me. So - I prefer the latter songs. I don't think I have ever played Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take out the Trash, Stink, or Hootenanny more than once or twice since I have owned them. Just not my cup of tea - as they say.

I don't come from a punk rock background, so I am not very fond of such music. I mean to say - I understand the whole beautiful loser deal - but really, Paul's mostly good lyrics deserve to be heard with some worthwhile music going on behind them. That is probably why I am one of the few people who likes Eventually. Although, I will admit than when you make records with hired hands, it can come out sounding soulless and boring - at times.

Ok

Edited by Analogman
Is that the one with the drum machine? I don't do drum machines.

Yes it is.

And, you're missing out on a lot of great music... strictly on principle. Including that song.

I am not a fan of such instruments. It's a cool song - I forgot about it.

I was of the same mind as you once.

Never listened to anything with synthisizers (sp?), strictly on principle. Then something clicked and now some of my favorite music is made with synths (Brian Eno, in particular).

But I can certainly understand where you're coming from.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack.

I was of the same mind as you once.

Never listened to anything with synthisizers (sp?), strictly on principle. Then something clicked and now some of my favorite music is made with synths (Brian Eno, in particular).

But I can certainly understand where you're coming from.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack.

No that's cool - I like how they are used on Who's Next and maybe some Yes albums.

I'm really looking forward to a remastered Pleased to Meet Me. I've got that on vinyl and despite its scratches and pops it sounds amazing...really jumps out of the speakers and other cliched music critic kinda stuff. The cd version I have, however, sounds like poop.

I'm really looking forward to a remastered Pleased to Meet Me. I've got that on vinyl and despite its scratches and pops it sounds amazing...really jumps out of the speakers and other cliched music critic kinda stuff. The cd version I have, however, sounds like poop.

agreed.

a-man, i have a great live recording of within your reach from when they opened for petty...real live drums and the guitars are pumped up a little. i love the original too, but this version just sounds 100X better.

agreed.

a-man, i have a great live recording of within your reach from when they opened for petty...real live drums and the guitars are pumped up a little. i love the original too, but this version just sounds 100X better.

That would be cool to hear - I have never went after or seen any Replacements out takes out there - but I am sure there are some out there somewhere.

All Shook Down is the #1 album that I would like to see reissued with the production stripped down to how the songs would sound live. Scott Litt produced and it sounds way over produced. I think the songs are good but the production doesn't hold up.

Tim, Pleased to Meet Me and Let it Be are my favorites. However, if you are starting at nothing, I'd recommend the compilation album.

All Shook Down is the #1 album that I would like to see reissued with the production stripped down to how the songs would sound live. Scott Litt produced and it sounds way over produced. I think the songs are good but the production doesn't hold up.

Tim, Pleased to Meet Me and Let it Be are my favorites. However, if you are starting at nothing, I'd recommend the compilation album.

That's a good point - the over produced sound of the 80s/early 90s in general.