The Replacements Thread

I purchased these reissues, from the first album til Pleased to Meet Me.

And I must say Pleased to Meet Me is easily my favorite. I mean: easily. It sounds way better than the previous ones.

I guess now someone will tell me that All Shook Down is even better, since I don't have it yet.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy crap is the Ed Stasium mix of Tim brilliant! Give it a listen. It really pops out of the speakers. The keyboards on Here Comes a Regular are throughout the whole song, no just the end. I can see

Oh my this is so much better than I could have ever hoped it would be. This album has always been right at the top for me, the songwriting is that good, but the original production and mix always made

Just here to underline how fantastic the new Tim version is. It's not just that it's way better, it's now one of the best rock and roll mixes I can name: clear, vital, big and energetic. To think that

I purchased these reissues, from the first album til Pleased to Meet Me.

And I must say Pleased to Meet Me is easily my favorite. I mean: easily. It sounds way better than the previous ones.

I guess now someone will tell me that All Shook Down is even better, since I don't have it yet.

I agree. Pleased to Meet Me has the best outtakes, etc. Sounds like an extended album. They all have good sound but most of the outtakes sound just like outtakes/demos (i.e. shittier versions of the original). Pleased to Meet Me and, to a lesser degree, Tim, are definitely worth having for the extras. Let it Be isn't too bad either.

• 1 month later...
Reissues May Mark Replacements' Final Chapter

February 20, 2009 12:05 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Despite the collective will of fans waiting with bated breath for a reunion, the book on the Replacements has likely closed with Rhino's recent round of deluxe reissues, according to former bassist Tommy Stinson.

Stinson tells Billboard that on the heels of the reissues, the best material has now been cleared from the Replacements vault, including live recordings, which may scotch longstanding rumors of a live album.

"It's not on the table," he says of that project. "I don't think we've got the quality takes. I think the best live record we could make is to gather up all the bootlegs, put them together and make it on our own. Those would actually make more sense."

The Replacements fan community went into overdrive last October when it was revealed that Stinson and Replacements frontman Paul Westeberg, who split up in 1991, had spent a couple of days jamming in Minneapolis. The group continues to receive lucrative offers to reunite, including a six-figure enticement to play the Coachella festival, and the rehearsal was seen by some as a tentative first step toward that goal.

But Stinson, who has been the bass player in Guns N' Roses since the late 1990s, says there've been no developments since, and that he is unsure whether a reunion will ever happen. "You know what? I just don't know if we have it in us," he says. "We've played together and we have things to offer each other. But I think ultimately it's like, why would we do it? The question comes up every time. Why would we do it? Well, they'll pay us really great. Is that the reason to go do it or not? I don't know.

"I think Paul probably struggles with it more than I, because I haven't played those songs in 20 years," he continues. "He has. To me, it sounds more of a fun idea to get up and play those songs again. Not for the money, but hey, it would be fun. Let's go do it. I don't think he's got in him, to be honest with you."

Asked if using the Replacements' name was an impediment, Stinson replied, "You know, we talked about that. But I've got people I like to play with (laughs hard). And I love Paul, but you don't really go start a new band with a guy you've already had a band with which was fairly successful."

That said, Stinson enjoyed combing through odds and ends to locate bonus tracks for the reissues. "There were some really great songs that were actually really surprising, as rough as they were," he says, singling out "Photo" on the "Pleased To Meet Me" reissue. "I totally didn't even know that song was a Replacements song. A friend of mine played it for me at his apartment and goes, don't you recognize that? It was like a 20th generation cassette dub, so it was really sped up. And I was like, wow, that's f*ckin' us! I think it's a great little song. It has a little funk to it."

Stinson also says he was particularly happy when he went back and listened to early material featuring his late brother Bob on guitar. "The real special stuff is the early stuff with Bob in the picture," he says. "There's some really good guitar playing, and you can hear he and Paul playing off each other a whole lot."

Last but not least, Stinson says Guns N' Roses is hoping to tour this year in support of its new album, "Chinese Democracy," but dates have yet to be announced.

"Despite the collective will of fans waiting with bated breath for a reunion, the book on the Replacements has likely closed with Rhino's recent round of deluxe reissues, according to former bassist Tommy Stinson."
Last but not least, Stinson says Guns N' Roses is hoping to tour this year in support of its new album, "Chinese Democracy," but dates have yet to be announced.

Screw Guns and Roses, they are not a boil on the ass of the Replacements.

At this point, if they did get together for a show or a tour, hasn't Mars said he's out of the picture? That pretty much makes it just Paul and Tommy (which I'd love to see) but it would be weird. (Paul's touring drummer is fucking crazy good though).

At this point, if they did get together for a show or a tour, hasn't Mars said he's out of the picture? That pretty much makes it just Paul and Tommy (which I'd love to see) but it would be weird. (Paul's touring drummer is fucking crazy good though).

Their rehearsal included Jim Boquist (former Son Volt) and Michael Bland on drums.

Their rehearsal included Jim Boquist (former Son Volt) and Michael Bland on drums.

I'm sure Mars is making more money with his Art than he ever did with the Replacements. Just Paul and Tommy would be enough for me I think.

Michael Bland is very good, he played on the last tour (along with Jim Boquist and Kevin Bowe) I saw Westerberg do.

I'm sure Mars is making more money with his Art than he ever did with the Replacements. Just Paul and Tommy would be enough for me I think.

Michael Bland is very good, he played on the last tour (along with Jim Boquist and Kevin Bowe) I saw Westerberg do.

Yeah, that guy is amazing. I'd like to see him again.

I don't figure Tommy is complaining too much. I read an interview with him where he mentioned that he was working as a telemarketer at one point after The Replacements were finished.

I also think Tommy took the biggest role in the reissues being released and finding a lot of unreleased stuff. I can't imagine him being a telemarketer. I'd actually take that call.

I'm sure he's well paid being in GnR. Of course he probably wants to throttle Axl like nearly every other soul on earth.

edit: The biggest role of the band members. I think Jesperson is the biggest force behind them. (Sorry, the reissues).

I saw Tommy in concert a few years ago. I think there were about 20 of us in the place. A band called Alien Crime Syndicate opened and then Tommy just joined them to play a bunch of Bash and Pop and Perfect tunes. It was not bad but the place was basically empty.

No doubt Jesperson was huge in getting them off the ground and keeping them together longer than they would have made it on their own.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

"The House the Replacements Built” Torn Down

Always sad to see ‘em go. The infamous music venue of Minneapolis called the Uptown was demolished by a wrecking ball. Apparently, it will be a big, gaping hole until further notice. If you don’t live in the greater Twin Cities area, you can pay some last respects to the venue that staged great bands like the Replacements by heading over to the region’s City Pages for some photos and a better explanation. After the jump, view a video clip from a documentary detailing the significance of the venue.
  • 1 year later...

Justin Townes Earle does a great cover of "Can't Hardly Wait" on his Midnight At The Movies record. Although there are some less than flattering live performances of it floating around youtube, the album version is excellent.

Is there really a demand for this? Hardly a "classic" in the Mats' catalog, plus they were never all that concerned with tonal subtleties.

Not their greatest work but there are some gems on here. I'll be you is still one of the catchiest songs ever written. Achin to be, Rock and roll ghost, but having said that, I probably won't buy the vinyl.

I bought "Don't Tell a Soul" when it was cut out and there were hundreds of copies floating around. I think I probably payed 3 bucks for it. The never version is probably what? $20??

I thought there would be Tommy Stinson tour talk here. He is playing Milwaukee, Minneapolis and Chicago later this month.

LouieB

I thought there would be Tommy Stinson tour talk here. He is playing Milwaukee, Minneapolis and Chicago later this month.

Speaking of which, I just came across this video and I must say the background song kicks ass. I assume it's from his upcoming release.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Replacements Reunite for Covers EP

For the first time since 2006, the Replacements have recorded new songs. In late September, singer Paul Westerberg and bassist Tommy Stinson spent a day in a Minneapolis studio and cut four cover songs that will be released later this year as a limited edition 10-inch vinyl EP. All 250 copies will auctioned online, and the proceeds will benefit Slim Dunlap, the Replacements' guitarist from 1987 to 1991, who had a severe stroke in February.

Replacements drummer Chris Mars "didn't want any part of this" reunion, Westerberg tells Rolling Stone. "I was not surprised, but I was a little disappointed." In Mars' place, Peter Anderson drummed, and Kevin Bowe (who was in Westerberg's solo band the last time he toured, in 2005) played guitar. With characteristic eclecticism, the Replacements recorded Dunlap's "Busted Up," "Everything's Coming Up Roses" from the Broadway musical Gypsy, Gordon Lightfoot's 1965 song "I'm Not Sayin'" and "Lost Highway" by Hank Williams. "Tommy and I strapped on guitars, not a word was said, and bang," says Westerberg. "We still rock like murder."

Westerberg has been ambivalent about a Replacements reunion since the band broke up in 1991, but he was persuaded by Dunlap's enthusiasm. "He's in rough shape. He's sort of paralyzed, he can move his leg a little bit. When I mentioned this, it seemed like something he really wanted to happen. 'You guys get together,' he said in a whisper. 'Go play a song.'"

Does this one-day reunion augur a new tour or album from the Replacements, one of the best American bands of the Eighties? "It's possible," Westerberg says. "After playing with Tommy last week, I was thinking, 'All right, let's crank it up and knock out a record like this.' I'm closer to it now than I was two years ago, let's say that."

The Replacements Reuniting for Covers Set

The Replacements will be back with a new covers EP, according to Rolling Stone.

The iconic '80s act, which last reunited in 2006, have recorded four tracks in a hometown Minneapolis studio.

The band was down to a duo of original members for this session, with singer Paul Westerberg and Tommy Stinson working without drummer Chris Mars.

"[He] didn't want any part of this," Westerberg told Rolling Stone. "I was not surprised, but I was a little disappointed."

The EP, to be sold in a 250-copy edition of 10" vinyl, will be auctioned online to benefit former Replacements guitarist Slim Dunlap. Dunlap suffered a stroke earlier this year. The set will range from Dunlap's "Busted Up," to folk and country hits from Gordon Lightfoot and Hank Williams as well as "Everything's Coming Up Roses," a song from Broadway's "Gypsy."

"He's in rough shape," Westerberg said of Dunlap. "He's sort of paralyzed, he can move his leg a little bit. When I mentioned this, it seemed like something he really wanted to happen. 'You guys get together,' he said in a whisper. 'Go play a song.'"

Westerberg didn't discount a full-fledged Replacements reunion with a new album or tour.

"I'm closer to it now than I was two years ago, let's say that," he added

This is the Lighfoot song they covered: